PDA

View Full Version : Screen sharing, keep second screen off.

chaosboi
15th May 2010, 07:33 PM
Is there a way I can screen share a second mac, but keep the physical screen of that second mac off?

lord
15th May 2010, 08:30 PM
There is nothing stopping you from doing that, unless I misunderstand you.

gehenna
15th May 2010, 08:31 PM
Screen sharing is not dependent on the shared computer having a screen on or off, or even having a screen connected at all. You only need to have it accessible over the network.

Aladdin
15th May 2010, 08:42 PM
Although, if the second (screen shared) Mac has an integrated display (iMac, notebooks), then it's display will be on.

The display can only be turned off if the display has its own on/off switch that's independent of the computer.

bartron
15th May 2010, 09:54 PM
If you want to have what your doing not visible then you'll need to spring for the full Apple Remote Desktop software. It has a "curtains" mode that hides what you're doing on the remote screen.

If all you want is the screen off hen you're fine unless it's an iMac or laptop.

chaosboi
15th May 2010, 10:00 PM
If you want to have what your doing not visible then you'll need to spring for the full Apple Remote Desktop software. It has a "curtains" mode that hides what you're doing on the remote screen.

If all you want is the screen off hen you're fine unless it's an iMac or laptop.

Accessing my MacBook with iMac and want the screen off, Guess it's Remote Desktop then.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Woh, this is hundreds of dollars :( Guess it's a no then :(

iPirate
15th May 2010, 10:03 PM
Clamshell mode?

lord
15th May 2010, 10:54 PM
I think it would be a lot easier to answer this question if we had some context. Why do you need to do this?

bartron
15th May 2010, 11:01 PM
Accessing my MacBook with iMac and want the screen off, Guess it's Remote Desktop then.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Woh, this is hundreds of dollars :( Guess it's a no then :(

Found this which seems to add a curtain mode button to the built in screen sharing app

10.5: Add useful toolbar buttons to Screen Sharing - Mac OS X Hints (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071127183240696)

May or may not work with 10.6

chaosboi
15th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Found this which seems to add a curtain mode button to the built in screen sharing app

May or may not work with 10.6

Thanks heaps the link the link, I'll give it a go :-)

Buthidae
16th May 2010, 12:43 AM
That didn't work in Snow Leopard last time I tried - let us know if that's changed :)