PDA

View Full Version : 3d Desktop Aquarium Screensaver

symean
7th September 2005, 11:48 AM
OK, you may have seen this screensaver already, but it struck me that this is perfect to run on your desktop (assuming you have hardware with enough oomph to do it).

1. Download the 3D Desktop Aquarium Screensaver here (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/).
2. Mount the disk image, and copy "3D Desktop Aquarium.saver" to either &#39;/Library/Screen Savers&#39; or &#39;Users/<your username>/Library/Screen Savers&#39;.
3. In System Preferences, open &#39;Desktop & Screen Saver&#39;. Select the 3D Desktop Aquarium and click Test to see what it does. Nice. Leave it selected.

**Now for the cool part. Note that this is a serious CPU hog, and I have on occasion totally run my machine into the ground trying to leave it on constantly. Do this at your own risk.**

4. As this particular screen saver uses an image of the Finder in it&#39;s current state as part of the effect, close all Finder windows and if possible remove all icons except the HD from the desktop. That way you&#39;re just left with whatever desktop image you have.

5. Open Terminal and type "/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &"

6. Enjoy. If you&#39;ve got a Mac with a good graphics card and plenty of grunt, you can leave it on 24x7.

7. To stop it, you need to kill the process ID. After entering the command above it should have reported it back to you, if you missed it or closed the Terminal, type "ps -ax | grep ScreenSaver", note the ID number, then type "kill <ID number>".

Note: If Terminal makes you want to curl into the foetal position, or you just want to do it the easy way (being Mac users, I assume so) - you can also use this handy utility:
http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/xback.html

Of course, if you like it, pay for it (the screensaver and xBack, that is).

Cheers :)

benmcgruer
7th September 2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by symean@Sep 7 2005, 11:48 AM
. . . copy "3D Desktop Aquarium.saver" to either &#39;/Library/Screen Savers&#39; or &#39;Users/<your username>/Library/Screen Savers&#39;.
Little hint with this, if you double click the .saver file it will automagically install it for you. . .