PDA

View Full Version : Mac Os Live

Beast5500
7th September 2005, 10:21 AM
Would it be possible to build a "Live CD Mac OS", simply by building your own system folder / desktop folder as well as programs and putting them on cd. then booting from it?
sort of like knoppix / other live cd linux distros do?
it does sound workable...

I speak of classic btw.
has anyone actually tried this b4?

Wally
7th September 2005, 10:28 AM
Apple have done it before with Mac OS 8.6 an stuff

Simply just bung that system folder onto that CD i guess that would work :)

P.S you have to hold down C

applecollector
7th September 2005, 10:30 AM
Hello,

I have done this sort of thing before, I managed to built a bootable Cd of 10.2, it took for ever for my little old ibook to build the image but it came useful when my ibook stuffed up.
I can't remember the programs name. :-(

symean
7th September 2005, 10:30 AM
I know that around OS 7 days I knew everything inside the System Folder, so I could go in and make a duplicate, trash all the extensions and control panels and such that I didn't need, add the appropriate system enabler for the machine it ran on, and voila!

I think I used to be able to get a bootable System Folder down to 7Mb on a Mac IIvi and a Centris 660AV! Now you're lucky if you can squeeze into 1Gb.

From 7.5 and above it started ballooning exponentially.

I suppose you could start with a known bootable OS 9 CD, do a copy of it, and add in whatever apps you want. I'm guessing you'd run into problems when apps require write access to files when running...

Cheers :)

Beast5500
7th September 2005, 10:43 AM
thanks 4 such prompt replies everyone. i was positive u could considering that the full isntall OSs are live cd based.

Is it possible to fit a full system folder (like the one from an HD, instead of a microkernel that is supplied in generic boot up CDs)

is the live CD capable of moving onto different machines easily? or does it become 'hardware attached' like W****ws? being apple, i should imagine it should be able to go around and boot up on any mac that meets the requirements to boot that kernel (eg processor of ###mhz, ##Ram etc.)

Wally
7th September 2005, 10:44 AM
shouldnt be any trouble

Beast5500
7th September 2005, 10:49 AM
Great! :D B)

I'm considering doing a 7.5.5 base (as it is free, 7.5.3 full and 7.5.5 upgrade) and using freeware apps and build a rescue disk that i can use.

How much do those small disks hold? about 170mb approx?

symean
7th September 2005, 11:05 AM
The ones I have hold 185 Mb. Note you can only use these in tray-loading optical drives, though - not slot-load...

neilrobinson
7th September 2005, 08:34 PM
you will generally have no technical problems swapping bootable OS's between macs - i have swapped a hard drive from G4 Sawtooth - G4 MDD & then a G5.

only thing is legal issues :P

neil

p53
9th September 2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by applecollector@Sep 7 2005, 10:30 AM
Hello,

I have done this sort of thing before, I managed to built a bootable Cd of 10.2, it took for ever for my little old ibook to build the image but it came useful when my ibook stuffed up.
I can't remember the programs name. :-(
BootCD?

ETHERSPIN
9th September 2005, 12:55 PM
it would be truly awesome DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER .. to take a live cd of os x for x86 and pop it into my friends powerful but virus crippled pc to show him how his world COULD be !!!