PDA

View Full Version : How do I add an alias email address in MAIL?

cheekyage
14th May 2010, 07:08 PM
Hi guys,

Just set up my first MAIL account and now would like to add my ALIAS email address to send and receive.

I had this setup with no problems in Outlook so I am hoping this will be just as easy of a task.

I looked up some support material on the Apple site however they didn't have anything relating to Mail 4.2 as part of Snow Leopard.

I then tried another method by going into Mail > Preferences > Accounts

Then went into Account Information and added both my main account email address and alias email address within the "Email Address" field.

This caused me to receive the same emails twice.

Any ideas?!?!?!

Appreciate your assistance and info :)

Cheers

incanspyder
14th May 2010, 08:17 PM
Um, add the alias to the same email account separated by a comma.

E.g. If you're setting up for MobileMe, but want a gmail alias, in the email address box after you've set up your MM account, put:

"emailaddress@me.com, alias@gmail.com"

and then manually add the SMTP server for the gmail so you can send email through that address.

cheekyage
14th May 2010, 08:48 PM
Hi incanspyder,

I am using the alias email address from my ISP which is TPG.

I have created the alias email address under my main account name.

Eg.

Main Account email - ageis@tpg.com.au
Alias email address - familyage@tpg.com.au

After inserting the email address seperate by the comma, I started to get double the emails :(

Outlook also let me list my account names including the alias.

Mail looks like it only lets me see my main account name, not alias.

glacierdave
15th May 2010, 07:57 AM
Is it an email alias or a second mailbox?

An email alias will still put email to that address in your normal mailbox.

The two require different approaches.

If it's a separate mailbox you'll need to set up another account in Mail but if it's an alias you just put the second address in with a comma separator.

When you say you're getting double emails, what do you mean? You receive double emails or you're sending double emails?

glitch
15th May 2010, 08:21 AM
Yes, one of the drawbacks of Mail is that is doesnt let you create inboxs for aliases, the best way round this limitation is to create a mailbox and use the rules in preferences to direct mail from and to the aliase into the mailbox.