PDA

View Full Version : Changing Associations

deang
7th September 2005, 07:54 AM
I'm trying to change how certain files are opened up. For instance all my AVI files are automatically opened up with Quick Time but i would like them to be opened up with MPlayer. Can anyone tell me how I get all my AVI files to be associated with MPlayer? I'm using 10.4.2.

Cheers, dean

Flinders1231
7th September 2005, 08:01 AM
Control click on any avi file then go to "get info" ... then a page will open - in lower section it says;

open with .... (you select)

& you can change so that application opens all files of that type.

deang
7th September 2005, 08:44 AM
I've tried that but it only seems to associate that particular file with the new program and all of the other files of the same type still get opened up with the old program.

tommelbourne
7th September 2005, 09:10 AM
Im pretty sure (i can't check coz im at Uni - no Mac's) that there is a check box when choosing what program you would like to have open a certain file type that allows you to assign that rule to all files of that same type. It is in 'Get Info', im pretty sure.

EDIT: Sorry, just read over what i wrote and realised its confusing, basically you do what Flinders1231 suggested, then click the check box in the same window that says 'apply to all' or something along those lines.

symean
7th September 2005, 09:54 AM
That's right, click on the icon of a .avi file, press command-I or File -> Get Info, under 'Open With' selct the app you want to use, and then click 'Change All'.

It works by extension, though, so any AVI files that don't have the extension '.avi' won't be affected.

Cheers :)

Flinders1231
7th September 2005, 12:10 PM
Just to make life difficult another approach - sophisticated? ;-) is application "Type & Creator Changer" - go to http://alphaomega.software.free.fr/contents.html

U might find some other interesting applications there as well ...