PDA

View Full Version : MetroView GPS: Australian App

kyte
14th May 2010, 04:26 AM
I've not bought this yet...

for $24.95 and all updates forever after free, this could be an even better alternative to the usual GPS suspects.

MetroView (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/metroview-australia/id370753892?mt=8)

Its all Australian, and the screenies seem to show the stuff that *I* want to know when I am driving. eg., I have a passion for the road speed limit to be shown in a large red circle on screen, probably a leftover from my Mio days, I come to expect it. The only other GPS app which uses this, is Sygic. Its got text to speech and uses "the latest data" (20th April release, whatever that actually means). The download is big, almost 600mb. Its compatible with the Tomtom car kit, and it has advanced lane guidance.

Eaglesteve will be happy that it reportedly has alerts for speed, school zones *and* time of day. Apparently more info re that can be got from Speed, Fines, Speeding Ticket, Speed Alert, Speed Zones, Speed Limits, Speed Cameras, PDA, Software, Drive, Fast, Signs (http://www.speedalert.com.au) and I'm about to go look.

This is the software found in the Aussie GPS device Navig8r. I don't know which mapping service is used: hoping its whereis/sensis.

Because I can't resist what looks like a good deal, I'm going to buy it. Aussie product, and free after initial purchase: irresistible.

I'll report back when I have had a chance to test it out thoroughly (of course anyone else is welcome to join the fray, particularly if you have already indulged)

drzeus
14th May 2010, 08:32 AM
This looks really good so please get back to us on how well it works.

My only concern is that I can't see it having free map updates, as with a starting price of $25 they can't really pay the ongoing license fee to whereis (if they are using whereis).

kyte
14th May 2010, 11:14 AM
This looks really good so please get back to us on how well it works.

My only concern is that I can't see it having free map updates, as with a starting price of $25 they can't really pay the ongoing license fee to whereis (if they are using whereis).

Well, I had a doc appointment this morning so I thought I would use it going in aand back, a known road so I should have some idea/expectation.

The very first thing I noticed was the complete lack of turn by turn instruction. Once I noticed that and failed to figure out what was wrong (the voice was activated, as in "ON" in options... I did not try much more. Didn't have time to reboot the phone etc to see if it made a difference, but I'll do that now, I'll be going out again later.

Without the voice, though, its completely useless to me, I don't watch the map when I'm driving, I listen!

On a quick scan I could see little red camera icons in places where I knew there to be red light or speed cams. Didnt check for schools.

Fingers crossed a reboot fixes it, and if not, I'll be writing to them. In any case one should not have to reboot to access sound, and sound was notably absent from the app, except for the introductory message.

shiny
14th May 2010, 01:29 PM
Looks good, let us know if the sound works Kyte, looking at grabbing this or Navigon while it is on special as the last few Sygic updates have been a bit disappointing.

kyte
14th May 2010, 04:37 PM
Looks good, let us know if the sound works Kyte, looking at grabbing this or Navigon while it is on special as the last few Sygic updates have been a bit disappointing.

UGH, haven't really had the chance to do the do again today, had to go to have a bunch of xrays and then a nanna-nap (getting old sucks), I'll look tomorrow.

Navigon is probably worth having anyway. Its a good bit of kit, just not at the $99 pricepoint.

kyte
14th May 2010, 08:04 PM
Well, managed to get out again, and to have a closer look at the "About" which reveals that mapping is done by a mob called PMSA Australia, Limited, embedded data access is © Manly Multimedia Pty Ltd and Smart Car Technologies provide the speedalert data as referenced in my first post. So, no connection to Navteq or Sensis, and thats probably why they can offer the deal with a one-time cost.

The sound issue. Please sit down everyone because you'll fall over laughing... I would have, were I not driving at the time. I had the silent switch on and had not realised because I was listening to an audiobook via the iPod app, which, as we all know, pays no attention to the silent switch at all. I thought I had sound, I did not. So, the male voice which is the default, is quite pleasant. There's also a female voice as yet untried.

Accuracy of maps: Its not too bad, but there are some issues with, for example, in my area, a few streets which are crescents have a kind of tail road which doesn't go through to the next street but on most maps it looks like it does. Tomtom, Sygic, et al all know about these. From recollection Roadee and some other offboard GPS apps also do, but sadly MetroView does not. Other than that, it didn't get me lost and was fairly quick to recalculate when I disobeyed an instruction and did not nag me to return to the original route.

Text to Speech: quite good. They are using some kind of natural language setup which seems a lot better than many of the others. The sentences make sense and flow smoothly. Some pronunciations are a bit out of whack but they don't cause me to laugh a lot as with some of the other (eg Sygic still amuses)

Warnings: On the map for speed... the large white circle with red surround, which contains the road speed, turns completely red when you go over the limit, and beeps at you once you hit 5k over, and I got a double beep at 10k over. There are warnings for something, perhaps its traffic lights, I'm not sure... couldnt see any indicators on the map but easd getting a kind of "diddly-dit" noise at times. No, not schools. Yet to work it out. Traffic cameras get a shutter noise about 300 metres out. None of these are user selectable, but in such an inexpensive (I'm reluctant to call it cheap) app, one can hardly be surprised.

The map itself: night colours at night, and day colours in the day... what an idea. I don't leave it on auto in the other apps, because its random what you'll get, a lot of the time. This one kicked over appropriately. No choices re colour schemes and the builtin ones are a little dreary.

Addresses: No connection with contact list and no way of saving "Home", but All recent addresses are saved, and you can either delete or save as a favourite. Its enough for the moment. Very easy to access addresses, start typing with suburb and bingo a list to choose from, ditto streets.

After the disaster with the ipod/sound, I didnt again try to run my audiobooks in the background but will over the weekend. I think there is no real connection except that the map direction will actually stop the ipod and not resume it.

I'll do screenies when I am not in heavy traffic or out at night.

kyte
11th August 2010, 06:22 AM
And I never got back to do this, but now that eaglesteve reminded me of it, will actually spend some more time playing with it. Being as how its an Aussie product... needs a bit of promo, don't ya think?

drzeus
11th August 2010, 07:19 AM
And I never got back to do this, but now that eaglesteve reminded me of it, will actually spend some more time playing with it. Being as how its an Aussie product... needs a bit of promo, don't ya think?

Yep please post some more info/screenshots if you can. It is a fraction of the cost of Tom Tom so if it is 80% as good I'm sure we'd be happy to support the local aussie developers.

grfxninja
11th August 2010, 08:36 AM
Yep please post some more info/screenshots if you can. It is a fraction of the cost of Tom Tom so if it is 80% as good I'm sure we'd be happy to support the local aussie developers.

Agreed. I'll be happy to get rid of the Sygic app (cheating bastards…) and would prefer to support an Aussie crew if they stack up.
I like the tomtom app, but just don't have a spare $100 at the moment ;)

kyte
11th August 2010, 04:44 PM
Used it for part of the way to work this morning then got annoyed because I have a route I always take and it wanted to take me elsewhere. Like many GPS apps (but not sygic) it wanted to keep correcting me, for ages. That said, it was able to recalculate eventually, and I don't think it would be too much of an issue in unfamiliar areas. There may have been reception issues as well, because I don't currently have a functional mounting system, my DLO vent mount eventually broke, so today the phone was just lying on the seat next to me.

I'll do screenies on my days off, when I have time. To and from work isn't the right time for me.

Apoptosis
11th August 2010, 05:58 PM
Do you mean the mapping is by PSMA or PMSA (typo?) Because PSMA seem to be a company owned by the various state governments and also contribute to Google map data too.

whiteknightoz
11th August 2010, 06:16 PM
Does the company have a contact support telephone number or is it all via email? what version of the software do you have, I understand map updates are free but is there the opportunity to update the app itself as new versions are released?
For $25 though its worth giving it a go..

kyte
11th August 2010, 08:10 PM
its probably a typo, its months since i wrote the first post and i do not remember.

More information regarding telephone support can be found on the website, the link for which I had not posted but which was remarkably easy to find. I have no more info than anyone else in that respect.
MetroView Systems Pty Ltd (http://www.metroview.com.au/)

Apoptosis
11th August 2010, 08:24 PM
I bought it tonight and tested it out on a rout I usually take.

Worked quite well, the spoken directions were quite accurate and the routes quite smart.

Few things I've noticed:

- Lots of random unexplained 'bings' & 'bongs' from the thing.

- No address book integration. But still easier to enter addresses than on my stand alone Garmin Nuvi.

- UI is a little hard to fathom at first.

- iPhone GPS lag is quite evident. Good thing it gives you directions quite a way in advance as well as at the turn because by the time the final direction is given you're virtually turning the corner.

Overall I'm quite impressed for $25!

W9cae
11th August 2010, 09:19 PM
I bought this the other day price is excellent & being Australian made. Will see how good it guides me about Melbourne tomorrow. I only want it as a guide & to help me out when I have lost my way. Driving by GPS is just another distraction.

kyte
12th August 2010, 05:34 AM
I bought it tonight and tested it out on a rout I usually take.

Worked quite well, the spoken directions were quite accurate and the routes quite smart.

Few things I've noticed:

- Lots of random unexplained 'bings' & 'bongs' from the thing.

- No address book integration. But still easier to enter addresses than on my stand alone Garmin Nuvi.

- UI is a little hard to fathom at first.

- iPhone GPS lag is quite evident. Good thing it gives you directions quite a way in advance as well as at the turn because by the time the final direction is given you're virtually turning the corner.

Overall I'm quite impressed for $25!

I've noticed the bings and bongs: I'm pretty sure they related to overspeeding or school zones, but I haven't quite worked out which is which. There's also a sound of a shutter release when you're approaching a speed camera.

Lag, UGH indeed. I think it would perform much better if it were in the Tomtom kit. Yesterday I was getting the odd direction *after* I had turned the corner, I thought it was because I currently have no way of mounting it on the dash.

eaglesteve2
12th August 2010, 10:30 PM
Metroview is what I'll be using 99% of the time. This is despite it not always giving the smartest routing. Why? Simple really, 99% of the time I already know the way to the destination so the only reason for using it is to avoid fines. Nothing in the market cone even close to Metroview in meeting this needs. Not TomTom, not Navigon, not copilot, not iGO or Ndrive. This is the only option currently. The lack of landscape mode for all screen, the imperfect routing, the lack of choices in night and day color, the lack of Contact integration and whatever weakness do not bother me. Accent of the speaker is irrelevant when I evaluate a GPS.

I also like the ability to report map errors.

There are clearly many areas for further improvements. I like to see trip simulation, multipoint routing for example. But I can be extremely forgiving towards a GPS that saves me traffic fines.

I still will TomTom, Navigon, Sygic as backup, but I don't see any reason to use them anymore now. If I'm forced to choose only one GPS now, it'll be Metroview. Not because of price, but because it has the most important features - features that really really matters, which nobody else has.

Apoptosis
14th August 2010, 04:41 PM
New update:

What's New In Version 1.2.26
Contacts Search
Improved volume controls including Master volume control
New Options menu layout
Optional day/night control
New Route screen layout - touch the turn arrow for shortcut to Route screen
Improved performance for the iPhone 3G running iOS4
Improved iPad support
Improved walking mode for iPhone 3G devices
New navigation data version: 23-Jul-2010

Some reasonable improvements there.

eaglesteve2
14th August 2010, 08:08 PM
The binge and bongs are the change in speed limit. Fantastic feature. No worry about not seeing that speed sign again.

laughingbird
17th August 2010, 11:39 AM
After being a Sygic user for a while, I installed MetroView last week. I've used it around Melbourne for a couple of days and for one out of town trip (Melbourne to a spot outside Ballarat) and I'm super impressed.

The UI is very clear and neat. The display, in either map mode or 3D, is better than I was used to with Sygic. The voices are easy on the ear and give good information. The speed alert and camera info is well integrated and seems accurate. The routes chosen have been good, and it recalculates fairly quickly and appropriately when you vary the route. It has easily accessible iPod controls.

Only three little gripes.
1. The integration with Contacts, which apparently they only recently added, isn't working properly if you haven't shown the country in the contact. I see on their website that they've received a lot of feedback about the contact integration and will be addressing it with an update, so I'm sure that will soon be fixed.
2. I'd like to see a map of the chosen route before commencing, but it doesn't do this. You can zoom out until you can eventually see it, but I'd still like to see it first (like Sygic) or even better still, be offered two or three options (like Navigon).
3. There is a bit of lag at times, as others have reported. I've not found this to be very serious, but occasionally I've seen it have a lag about direction. After taking a corner, it is showing my location correctly, but it takes a while longer to reorientate the map, and so for that time it looks as though I am going sideways along the street that runs across the bottom of the screen (instead of up the middle). More an amusement than a problem, but one that they'll want to fix to perfect the app.

Apart from those little things, I've found it to be an excellent app, and extraordinary value for money. I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

mainstage
18th August 2010, 09:01 PM
WARNING , Just updated Metroview with the new app store update and all I'm getting when I open it now is A BLACK SCREEN nothing I can do ''

So I would not update until this problem is fixed ''

I have emailed metroview waiting for a reply

:mad:

Apoptosis
18th August 2010, 09:23 PM
WARNING , Just updated Metroview with the new app store update and all I'm getting when I open it now is A BLACK SCREEN nothing I can do ''

So I would not update until this problem is fixed ''

I have emailed metroview waiting for a reply

:mad:

The main page in the iTunes store says that when you update the app it'll happen sometimes.

Uninstall it from your phone then reinstall it. Will work fine again.

laughingbird
18th August 2010, 10:02 PM
WARNING , Just updated Metroview with the new app store update and all I'm getting when I open it now is A BLACK SCREEN nothing I can do

It's a known problem with the update process, and easily fixed. From the notes on the app's page on iTunes:

A problem has been identified with users updating from a previous version of MetroView. Please delete the app before installing the update to make the update function as intended. A new installer is awaiting Apple's approval for release to correct the issue.
New users of the app do not have the same problem.

UPDATE: The new update has appeared this morning which fixes the above-described updating bug, and also fixes the problem with contacts that do not specify the country.

kyte
19th August 2010, 05:38 PM
Its managing better with the contact list now, too, though hasn't made the jump from "navigate to this contact" to "navigate to this contact and give the option to add to favourites." And it doesnt seem to want to navigate to a contact with no country listed (though I think someone mentioned that)

laughingbird
19th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Its managing better with the contact list now, too, though hasn't made the jump from "navigate to this contact" to "navigate to this contact and give the option to add to favourites." And it doesnt seem to want to navigate to a contact with no country listed

It doesn't do it with one button. However, once you have asked it to navigate to something, from contacts or any other way, that destination is the saved in the recent destinations. You can tap on the blue arrow next to any item in the recent destinations list and you will be given the option to add it to favourites.

And it doesnt seem to want to navigate to a contact with no country listed (though I think someone mentioned that)

That is also fixed in the update that came out this morning. I tried it this afternoon, and it is now working fine.

I got an email back from them on my feedback, and they tell me that the next update will introduce the feature of showing the whole route on a single view map when desired. They replied within a couple of hours too, which always impresses.

kyte
19th August 2010, 06:42 PM
...you will be given the option to add it to favourites.

... They replied within a couple of hours too, which always impresses.

Thanks for that, had not got that far.

Overall I am still impressed with this crew, especially since Sygic seems to have abandoned any serious updates to it original app, favouring Aura instead (which leaves me stone cold). Tomtom and Navigon are still okay but sooner or later they will want more $$$ and I guess thats the point at which I lerave em alone. I think I want to take another look at Mocal, but sadly, already having partially trialled it, I can't again, I'll have to fork out real dosh. Maybe I wont bother, the fees repeat, even though they are less exy initially than the others (with the exception of metroview)

mainstage
20th August 2010, 02:16 PM
:)

Yes thanks all (re black screen prob ')

I emailed support on Wednesday at 9pm and received a reply at 9.45 pm well done metroview :cool::cool:

Yes they had a bug . Delete app from phone then re-Sync with Itunes giving you back original app , Now safe to re install new update

in a nut shell . happy now

eaglesteve2
20th August 2010, 04:26 PM
There's a new update this morning. Fixed the update black screen error, and blank country in contact problem.

cairns
2nd January 2011, 12:08 PM
Just bought this on sale for $14.99

a really great gps app

LeeLee
2nd January 2011, 02:27 PM
Just bought this on sale for $14.99

a really great gps app

gotta be the best one in store! and for $14.99 it's amaaaaazing!

LeeLee
6th January 2011, 08:45 AM
Lovely update for MetroView available now I notice :)