PDA

View Full Version : What I would love to be able to do on my iPad

james the 2nd
14th May 2010, 01:08 AM
After some time using the iPad, it strikes me as an incredible 1st gen device, and certainly proof literally in hand that the tablet computer concept (the holy grail of computing since Bill Gates announced it as the way of the future 10 years ago) is more than just a great concept but a here and now reality.

But there a number of shortcomings (that I can only suspect are in the pipeline) that will take this from the outstanding beginning to a fully viable laptop replacement.

Here are some of things that I would love to do but currently cannot..
(all in the name of keeping me firmly planted on the couch rather than having to get up and go to my laptop or desktop every now and then to complete..)

I'd love to be able to make a photo book from my photos on the iPad. Given the basic templates in iPhoto on the mac making this would not only be an easy thing to do on iPad but a whole lot of fun as well.

I'd love to be able to update my webpage (something I never have the time to do) using iWeb on iPad.

I'd love to be able to print directly from iPad. It would just automatically recognize printers on the network and provide them as an option to print to.

I'd love to not have to connect iPad to my computer yet still have my content.. (Possibly this is why apple is building a server farm bigger than Texas at the moment... Cloud computing anyone)

What else would current owners like to do... Im interested in your thoughts.

(I've left out multitasking and folders as these and other things are on the way in iPhone os4)

skritter
14th May 2010, 02:10 AM
Well everything you want, the current iPad hardware can handle or is only software related.

So it's not a matter of waiting for next generation hardware, but only developers or Apple coming up with the solutions. Time will tell.

DanGleibitz
14th May 2010, 07:20 AM
Integrated web downloader/file manager.

I can remote into my desktop to download and unzip files from rapidshare etc, but with more control over my files, the desktop would hardly get used. A single app would do - sort of a repository for any files downloaded via Safari or over the air or through iTunes, which can then be sorted and filtered by file type/name/date/tags, single or multiple selected and "open in..."-ed. It doesn't need to give me full MS Explorer type freedom even...

Balthazar
14th May 2010, 08:37 AM
I'd love to be able to update my webpage (something I never have the time to do) using iWeb on iPad.

Why not try a Wordpress.com (http://wordpress.com)blog instead and use the wordpress app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordpress/id335703880?mt=8)?

I'd love to be able to print directly from iPad. It would just automatically recognize printers on the network and provide them as an option to print to.

It's coming (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/10/steve-jobs-says-printing-will-come-for-ipad/)

I'd love to not have to connect iPad to my computer yet still have my content.. (Possibly this is why apple is building a server farm bigger than Texas at the moment... Cloud computing anyone)

If it's files why not drop box (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropbox/id327630330?mt=8), if its video why not airvideo (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8)?

tcn33
14th May 2010, 08:43 AM
Well everything you want, the current iPad hardware can handle or is only software related.

So it's not a matter of waiting for next generation hardware, but only developers or Apple coming up with the solutions. Time will tell.

Completely agree. Everything I want at the moment is covered by a new app (Coda for iPad pls kthx) or by changes to an existing one (integrated browser in Dropbox to download files directly to the app, global quiet hours in Settings).

james the 2nd
14th May 2010, 10:10 AM
I agree too :)

This is only going to be getting better and better and better..

I'm interested to hear what else gets you off the couch and back to the laptop/desktop that you would love to be able to do in the iPad?

The other thing I thought of, I would love to be able to 'flag' photos on the iphoto app on the iPad and have them wirelessly sync as being flagged to my other machines..

bartron
14th May 2010, 11:28 AM
I'm interested to hear what else gets you off the couch and back to the laptop/desktop that you would love to be able to do in the iPad?

Built in screen sharing.

I bought an iPad RDP app and last night was at home, connected to work through VPN and finishing some stuff off on my work computer. 1024x768 is plenty fine for most work related tasks (in fact, a lot of people at work still have their 19" lcd's set to 1024x768)

Anyway...that's microsoft's RD protocol....I shouldn't have to fork out to a third party for a basic screen sharing app.

For mor controlled windows tasks I highly recommend the free citrix client for iPad and get your workplace to load a citrix server with the basics. Windows apps in iPad never looked so good :) (i.e. word, excel. outlook and any other standard apps)

Balthazar
14th May 2010, 11:35 AM
(in fact, a lot of people at work still have their 19" lcd's set to 1024x768)

Just thinking about this makes my eyes hurt

Rust
14th May 2010, 11:45 AM
DropBox - For cloud documents
Air Video - For streaming media
ReaddleDocs OR Downloader - For download manager/web browser/file system and More

bartron
14th May 2010, 11:57 AM
Just thinking about this makes my eyes hurt

ironically enough, it's hurting eyes that makes people set their displays like that. XP has large fonts and whatnot but for most people it sucks balls and it's easier to set to 1024x768.

Thinking about it though....hold the iPad in front of you in landscape mode....now imagine a metal arm protruding from the back of it, connected to a white hemisphere....hmm...BRB

edit:
I want an ipad stand like this :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3307/4605578924_d53936f8cf.jpg

snagage
14th May 2010, 12:17 PM
DropBox - For cloud documents
Air Video - For streaming media
ReaddleDocs OR Downloader - For download manager/web browser/file system and More

Thanks a lot for pointing out Air Video. Exactly what I've been looking for.

dory_1982
14th May 2010, 12:21 PM
If it's files why not drop box (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropbox/id327630330?mt=8), if its video why not airvideo (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8)?

I have Dropbox and Air Video (and Goodreader and Office2 HD). The Dropbox app isn't required if you have Goodreader because it can be setup to login to your dropbox account. Air Video - wonderful!
My main gripe is not being able to get changes from Office2 HD back to Dropbox. So many apps to 'view' and some to 'edit', but whats the point if you have to sync with itunes.
I dont know what Pages & Numbers will offer, but all documentation indicates either emailing to yourself or syncing with itunes.

I havent really come across many other things that havent already been said. Having the iPad natively handle screen extension or mirroring (over WiFi) would be absolutely great for work!

EDIT: The Dropbox app does give you the option of exporting, and Office2 HD does come up in that list. It's reversing that process with saved changes I'm looking for.

Balthazar
14th May 2010, 12:55 PM
ironically enough, it's hurting eyes that makes people set their displays like that. XP has large fonts and whatnot but for most people it sucks balls and it's easier to set to 1024x768.

Thinking about it though....hold the iPad in front of you in landscape mode....now imagine a metal arm protruding from the back of it, connected to a white hemisphere....hmm...BRB

edit:
I want an ipad stand like this :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3307/4605578924_d53936f8cf.jpg

I have that model imac, When it dies i will convert it to an iPad Dock and post the images

skullnbones
14th May 2010, 01:08 PM
Is it possible (with 3rd party apps) to read pdf in native format, like the preview program on OSX? I don't want to convert it or anything. I'd like to store it on a local folder (not to have to access iDisk) and open it from apps other than Mail.

This is important, pending support from my anaesthetic college's adoption of support for EZProxy in the Papers app.

bartron
14th May 2010, 01:12 PM
Is it possible (with 3rd party apps) to read pdf in native format, like the preview program on OSX? I don't want to convert it or anything. I'd like to store it on a local folder (not to have to access iDisk) and open it from apps other than Mail.

This is important, pending support from my anaesthetic college's adoption of support for EZProxy in the Papers app.

I use Bookman but there's also iPDF (free)

iCantwait
14th May 2010, 05:53 PM
when OS4 comes out for iPad I want command+tab for multitasking

Mickytk
14th May 2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, just some way to directly swap from app to app that functions similar to the application changing function of cmd-tab on OS X. It'd be preferable to app-home-findapp-launch-app.

glitch
14th May 2010, 09:52 PM
For most of the reasons listed, I found my MBA just did it all better and so i sold my iPad.

For me the iPad just didn't do anything better and most things not as well.

For those without a laptop like the MBA or 13" MBP the iPad probably works better and fills a gap between the iPhone & a desktop.

It will be improved with 4.0 and no doubt the second version will have more functionality, so that may make it a more attractive proposition, also if a telco were to offer mobile data that could be used across various devices it would make more sense. Having to pay an extra monthly charge of $20+ for 3G access is a PITA.

auspad
15th May 2010, 03:32 PM
LOL anyway.

i dislike stealing, even stealing were i don't have to wear a stocking over my head. i would like a dvd drive and before you all start jabbering at me about it, mr jobs could limit them for playing dvds only. reason? to put movies on an ipad you need to download some fancy ripping software that you probably have to pay for, then make sure its not a virus then wait 1 hour+ for it to be done then put it on itunes then put it on the ipad. eg: f i was gong to be in a car for a 7 hour trip and only had a 16gb ipad it would be full of movies just for the trip. it would be so much easier to just pop a dvd in and watch, when your done, take it out and grab the next. or am i missing something?

skritter
15th May 2010, 03:54 PM
.....or am i missing something?

Your so 1990's

DanGleibitz
15th May 2010, 04:24 PM
the next. or am i missing something?

A shift key, apparently.

dickg
15th May 2010, 04:46 PM
I have satellite broadband and would like to download borrowed (as in library) or rented (like DVD) e-books. I don't want to buy an e-book that I may read only once.

I understand I can pair an iPad to my iMac and download one from there.

decryption
15th May 2010, 04:53 PM
Just use the Internet Sharing feature of your Mac to share your internet connection out to the AirPort card in your Mac. Then your iPhone and iPad and any other 802.11g/n devices can get internet access (as long as your iMac is turned on)

Joey1983
15th May 2010, 05:03 PM
am i missing something?

Yes (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewRoom?fcId=330460033)

MrJesseRoss
15th May 2010, 06:20 PM
LOL anyway.

i dislike stealing, even stealing were i don't have to wear a stocking over my head. i would like a dvd drive and before you all start jabbering at me about it, mr jobs could limit them for playing dvds only. reason? to put movies on an ipad you need to download some fancy ripping software that you probably have to pay for, then make sure its not a virus then wait 1 hour+ for it to be done then put it on itunes then put it on the ipad. eg: f i was gong to be in a car for a 7 hour trip and only had a 16gb ipad it would be full of movies just for the trip. it would be so much easier to just pop a dvd in and watch, when your done, take it out and grab the next. or am i missing something?

1. A DVD drive is weighty, takes up a lot of space, and consumes a heap of battery power. Not exactly what you want in a tablet device.

2. There are plenty of free DVD ripping apps available. Many have been extensively discussed on this very forum.

3. Viruses?

4. You can buy movies on the iTunes Store.

What you're missing is the entire point of the iPad. What you want is a Macbook, or maybe a portable DVD player if all you want is to be able to watch movies.

LithgowLights
15th May 2010, 06:20 PM
i would like a dvd drive and before you all start jabbering at me about it, mr jobs could limit them for playing dvds only. reason? to put movies on an ipad you need to download some fancy ripping software that you probably have to pay for, then make sure its not a virus then wait 1 hour+ for it to be done then put it on itunes then put it on the ipad. eg: f i was gong to be in a car for a 7 hour trip and only had a 16gb ipad it would be full of movies just for the trip. it would be so much easier to just pop a dvd in and watch, when your done, take it out and grab the next. or am i missing something?

Oh gawd. DVD's are a mechanical device thats ideal at sucking the guts out of a power supply in no time flat. Add to that a spinning DVD acts like a gyro, and if you turn the device it is in then it can warp or flutter, putting strain on bearings and even causing it to hit the dvd lens, or housing causing physical damage

There are plenty of legit FREE programs out there to convert from DVD to a format for the iPad or iPhone/iPod. That way the device is powering itself, not some fancy mechanical drive, and you will get the 7 to 10hrs as you want, not 1/2 way through your first DVD of Little House on the Prarie season 1.

Oh and as was said, it appears as though someone stole your shift and enter keys. Try finding them.

DanGleibitz
15th May 2010, 10:26 PM
The internet is business. Seriously.

auspad
16th May 2010, 03:05 AM
umm, thanks guys. but what does the shift and enter keys have to do with anything? im still against stealing and after being boned in the ass by some "legit" guy n the internet i would not put my credit card details on the web again. so i may just have to stoop to bing a criminal. (again):confused:

this is so in the future me, it almost tops the Back To The Future movies.

Balthazar
17th May 2010, 10:15 AM
umm, thanks guys. but what does the shift and enter keys have to do with anything? im still against stealing and after being boned in the ass by some "legit" guy n the internet i would not put my credit card details on the web again. so i may just have to stoop to bing a criminal. (again):confused:

Auspad's posts are always good for some lolz,

It's almost like he comes straight from Yahoo Answers to post here.

LithgowLights
17th May 2010, 11:02 AM

Shift & enter keys give both capitals and line/paragraph breaks - things that were missing from your previous posts. Typing in all lowercase, while not as bad as all uppercase, can make you seem a little less serious than you might otherwise wish.

I have been using the internet since it was available (Via STD calls) in the early 1990's, and have yet to have an issue with my Credit Card on the net, but I limit the use to Amazon.Com, Apple, my ISP & now various payments via electronic banking. I have actually use my iPhone to do Internet banking as well, and have never had an issue there eithor.

Converting your own legally purchased DVD's is strictly against Australian law, but I have never heard of anyone being charged for it. All my DVD's and audio CD's (If which I have hundreds of each) are on my media PC. I have converted many of them to be able to be seen on my iPhone, and I'll do the same on the iPad. I paid for the DVD, so why not be able to view my legally purchased material where and when I want?

chrism238
17th May 2010, 11:35 AM
I paid for the DVD, so why not be able to view my legally purchased material where and when I want?

I suspect that your question is rhetorical, and thus this reply is off-topic, but (in Australia) you have only purchased pieces of plastic, some cardboard, and the rights to decode and view the data on that plastic. What you, millions of other Australians, and I, do with it, is at odds with the rights of the owner of the data.