PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Home/end Key Question

nath
7th September 2005, 03:06 AM
I am used to using the home/end keys along with shift to highlight as well as moving to the start and end of lines while editing text, is there a way to make this work as expected in OS X ?

shift + home highlights to the begining of the text and the home end keys do not seem to work when trying to navigate the current line.

TIA

Nath.

glenmorrow
7th September 2005, 07:47 AM
Home and End keys do different things in different applications. Unlike WinXP where they appear to have universal functionality.

So, in Mail, HOME & END will move you to the top and bottom of an email message, and CTRL+LEFT ARROW or CTRL+RIGHT ARROW will move you to the start or end of a line. If you want to highlight text in an email, from current cursor position to start or end of line, use CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT or RIGHT ARROW respectively.

In Word, HOME and END should work the same as the PC version of Word, that is, HOME goes to the start of a line and END goes to the end of a line.

In TextEdit, the same commands apply as Mail.

Other thing is if you are using a PowerBook or iBook, you need to add the FN key with LEFT and RIGHT ARROW to do HOME and END.

Hope this makes sense.

Glen

nath
7th September 2005, 12:16 PM
I think i have it sorted now..

Works in most apps;
Control + arrow keys = cursor to start/end of line
Control + shift + arrow keys = highlight to start/end of line

but not the terminal..

Shift + home/end
or
the more traditional Control + a/e