PDA

View Full Version : how to get back "trashed" file in OSX

estoyloco
22nd July 2004, 05:55 PM
i just deleted something that i need by accident.... i sent it to trash and deleted it.. is there anyway to retrieve it??????

sillydog701
22nd July 2004, 06:23 PM
Mac forensics? Not even FBI can do that, they have to send those Macs to Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Squozen
26th July 2004, 08:00 PM
And one more Mac user learns the wonders of backups... not even Apple can protect us from ourselves :)

Crambo
26th July 2004, 08:22 PM
Ha, ha.

stickman67
26th July 2004, 09:49 PM
So something like Data Rescue won't save you in this situation? What a bummer!

Pity Norton hasn't been more forthcoming with its utilities in OS X. The old File Saver (I think that was what it was called) would have been able to help you in the good old days of OS 9 and earlier. I saved my own bacon more than a few times with that particular utility!

stickman67
27th July 2004, 10:33 AM
I just noticed an update for the following utility at VersionTracker (Home of the B*tch Queen Reviewers Society):

Data Recycler X 1.3.2 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18235)

I haven't used it, but it seems like a pretty useful insurance policy that works in a similar way to the old Norton FileSaver.

It costs US$49, and it won't save you now, but it might just save you later! :P

pipsqeek
28th July 2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah,

There's nothing like making a mirrored copy of your hard disk drive.

Steve

Hobart
28th July 2004, 11:08 AM
just curious what did you delete? you might want to find a folder that is the equivlant of My Recent Documents for mac though

kim jong il
31st July 2004, 10:53 AM
Considering the cost of DVD burners and media now, there really is not much excuse not to have backups. I just picked up a lite-on DVD 4X+ -RW 8X+ - R (CD 40XR 24XRW) for $130. Not supported by the mac OS X but toast loves it. Get a handy little patch called patchburn II reader and OS X is happy to work with it as well (itunes/finder burning etc). Took 15 minutes to dismantle the tower and install it and be up and running. Too easy. Got burn't once too often. Never again

I can see someone is going to say but you can get them from here for 'X'$. Could not be bothered. When you spend this tiny amount of money who really cares about $10 or $15.

Sorry about your data loss however. It can be heartbreaking.

cheers, kim