PDA

View Full Version : 15-in 2.4GHz Core i5 - battery life experience

fotografer
12th May 2010, 10:53 AM
Just wanted to share an initial experience with the new notebook.

Using it on battery connected to an external display depleted the battery from 100% to 20% in about 2hr 55mins (as measured by uptime in iStat Menus).

I understand that connecting to an external display uses the discrete NVidia GPU exclusively thus this was probably the worst case scenario. Was just doing normal office-type stuff - email, Excel and Powerpoint - with some updating/installation of utilities and browsing.

I also installed the gfxCardStatus utility ([url=http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/[/url]) which is very useful to see what apps switch to the discrete GPU (when I was not using the external display) and tested out the ability to force usage of a particular GPU.

Balthazar
12th May 2010, 11:03 AM
If you were connected to an external display why weren't you connected to a power point?

fotografer
12th May 2010, 11:52 AM
If you were connected to an external display why weren't you connected to a power point?Wanted to run down the battery and then bring it back up to full charge for calibration later today.

;)

NORMANDY
12th May 2010, 12:23 PM
my one is getting 7-9 hours every day no problems...

fotografer
14th May 2010, 11:38 AM
my one is getting 7-9 hours every day no problems...Hmmm can you share what you normally run on your MacBookPro?

NORMANDY
14th May 2010, 11:42 AM
web surfn, mail, ichat, word, things like that

grfxninja
14th May 2010, 02:23 PM
Mine generally lasts between 7-10 hours depending on what I'm doing.
As soon as I jump on Facebook Poker (Flash), it dies in the arse going from roughly 6 hours charge left, to about an hours charge in 10 minutes…

Other than Flash, everything else seems fine and I get good battery life so I'm pleased :)

velocite
17th May 2010, 11:10 AM
i found that my new 15" battery life varies wildly. and is yet to get 7 hours doing 'mild' stuff