PDA

View Full Version : Dowloading Firefox

RobD
6th September 2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks to Disko for his crystal clear explanation of how to download Firefox, but what if you already have Firefox 1 and want to download the current version (1.06), as in my case? I have been so confused by the instructions on the Mozilla site that I have just kept using V.1. The thing I don't quite understand is what you are meant to do with the old version. Does it get written over by the new? Or should you drag it to the trash? And if so, before or after downloading the new version? And if you do trash it, do you need to do anything about the preferences? (I remember I had to add some files to the preferences folder so that I could paste text into Mambo when adding stuff to my website.) And if you trash V.1 before, does that mean you have to use Safari to do the dowload? (Well, obviously it does.) I'm sure these questions will seem very dumb, but I'm ancient enough to be still using a fountain pen.

Hoping for the benefit of your expertise in this simple but confusing mattter.

Rob

andrewcod
6th September 2005, 07:59 PM
Easiest thing to do is just to download the new version from the mozilla website using firefox or safari. Then trash the old version and start using 1.06. The preferences are kept since they're stored in the library.

Disko
6th September 2005, 08:03 PM
I just download it, then copy it to the Apps folder as always - then hit 'replace' (making sure that firefox isn't currently running). As andrewcod said, all your prefs/settings are remembered.

RobD
6th September 2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys, Firefox 1.0.6 is now up and running.

Rob

Kurtles
6th September 2005, 09:22 PM
I use firefox on my pc, but wat r the benefits of using it over safari?

Disko
6th September 2005, 10:00 PM
In my opinion there aren't any apart from the themes and extensions.

I use safari as my primary browser.

Georgina EG
6th September 2005, 10:12 PM
Rob, I'm glad I'm not the only one who asks questions which some of the others regard as simple, supposedly easy downloads are not always straightforward, and this morning just prior to Disko's Firefox post, I was in a bit of a mess myself.

I'm also pleased to hear that you continue to use a fountain pen, I used to find them beautiful to write with. I have three including the classic Parker 51, but alas I keep forgetting to buy ink, so they don't get used. For the uninitiated:-

http://www.vintagepens.com/parker_51.shtml

RobD
6th September 2005, 11:27 PM
Kurtles - I don't find any difference between Safari and Firefox, except that the website management program (Mambo) I use to manage my website only seems to work with Firefox.

Georgina - I'm very pleased to find another fountain pen enthusiast, and I would urge you to buy some ink. I have three pens in active use: (1) a beautiful Mont Blanc I bought about ten years ago, with a nice fine nib (not those big black Mont Blancs, but an elegant, slim model like the ones I used at school when a Mont Blanc pen cost about $12); (2) a Rotring Renaissance, very light, bought about 1989, which originally had a very fine nib, now broad with use; unfortunately, Rotring no longer makes nibs for this model, so it does not get much use any more; (3) a new Rotring, in brushed steel (to match Panther), with a fine, hard steel nib - nearly my favourite ever pen, except that it's a bit heavy, and my hand gets tired after not all that much writing. The Rotrings both run on black ink, the Mont Blanc on blue.

AusMac
7th September 2005, 12:50 AM
I use my fountain pens with orange juice in them.
That way, when they go to read my last will and testament..., they'll need a hot iron to find out the meaty bits.

Firefox is a more user friendly browser than Safari. Which is why i prefer it to Safari.

Just remember that if you have added extensions or search plug-ins that you may need to save these out of the existing Firefox app before you overwrite it with the new.

Georgina EG
7th September 2005, 09:44 AM
I downloaded Firefox with Disko's help, but found that as with Safari, it couldn't help me access my account with AAPT. They told me that Netscape was now the only browser I could use with a Mac (yet I've been doing it with Safari since March), though they've said they are hoping to get it sorted out within a few months. I don't like Netscape at all, so I shall not be using it for any other purpose.

Regrettably in my confused and anguished state yesterday morning, I trashed Firefox believing that three browsers weren't needed, though at the end of it all, I now keep getting half a blank start up page appearing behind the Safari page I'm using. Not all the time, but when I'm moving from one web site to another. Does anyone know why this would happen?

I've made a note to buy some ink Rob, certainly not orange juice as AusMac indicated. Orange juice in a classic Parker 51 . . . back to the cave AusMac!