PDA

View Full Version : Optus re-compression of images over 3G

evil tabby cat
11th May 2010, 10:03 PM
Optus recompresses images downloaded over 3G (recently got much worse in the past 4 or 5 months). This isn't noticeable on my iPhone of course but it is extremely noticeable when I'm browsing the web with it tethered to my MacBook. It's going to suck if they apply the same policy to iPad traffic.

I'm assuming most telcos will do the same thing to some degree but wanted to hear about other people's experiences ?

Cybix
11th May 2010, 10:29 PM
well that explains why I'm getting pixelated boobies... iPr0n fail.

Seakip
11th May 2010, 10:31 PM
Would suck if you were paying for unlimited access.

Not so bad if your paying by the MB.

marc
11th May 2010, 11:42 PM
Certainly something to be mindful of if you're considering Optus for an iPad plan.

stehsegler
12th May 2010, 12:30 AM
is there an offical page on the Optus web site that explains the level of compression in more detail? do they offer a way to turn this off?

NILcorp
12th May 2010, 03:59 AM
switch to Telstra and breathe

I'm gonna go with Telstra for my iPad.

matt231
17th May 2010, 03:02 PM
Optus recompresses images downloaded over 3G (recently got much worse in the past 4 or 5 months). This isn't noticeable on my iPhone of course but it is extremely noticeable when I'm browsing the web with it tethered to my MacBook. It's going to suck if they apply the same policy to iPad traffic.

I'm assuming most telcos will do the same thing to some degree but wanted to hear about other people's experiences ?

Telstra don't do it, and I didn't notice it on Vodafone mobile broadband either.

Bogus Jimmy
19th May 2010, 08:40 AM
Anyone got a comparison of images downloaded via Optus 3G vs open web?

joshm
20th May 2010, 11:38 AM
Here you go, you motivated me to blog about the issue: Josh's ramblings, Optus 3G image recompression (http://bit.ly/optus_recomp)

I'll be chasing this up. When I spoke on the phone, they said it only affected people 'with iPhones using tethering'. I do occasionally use tethering, but this is affecting me even just browsing on the phone. Unacceptable.

NeoRicen
20th May 2010, 01:08 PM
Jesus, this is the same crappy technology they used to 'speed up' 56k connections years ago. Has Optus' network really gotten so bad they have to resort to this?

lord
22nd May 2010, 01:34 PM
T-Mobile do it as well, however their software has an option to turn it off. I found it breaks a lot of applications, and just looks down right crummy.

Have a little look at the source of your pages, if I remember correctly the images will be rewritten to come from an internal ip address with the full path appended to it.

cammo
23rd May 2010, 09:55 AM
Josh, that is amazing - I can't believe Optus would do that.... then again, yes I can - It is Optus after all.

GlossyMac
23rd May 2010, 01:35 PM
Can they actually do this? Is it breaching the contract I signed in any way?

-GlossyMac

bengrubb
25th May 2010, 01:37 PM
Hey guys, I've chased this up with Optus (http://www.zdnet.com.au/optus-3g-accelerator-spawns-blurry-pics-339303393.htm).

smartygus
5th June 2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I posted on Whirlpool about this in April (Optus image compression on 3G/GPRS? - Optus / Virgin - Mobile carriers - Whirlpool Forums (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1427346)), but got no response from any of the Optus reps that post there.

This annoys me to no end because it really degrades the experience of using the web on my phone.

The quotes from Optus in the ZDNet article about it being innovative and beneficial to customers are a load of crap. This reduces their network load, pure and simple - and they introduced it at a time when their network was severely straining under the loads it was carrying. Their motivations for introducing it are in my mind quite clear.

I honestly don't mind if they offer it as a "Web Acceleration" feature, because I think some would choose quicker load times over quality, but they could at least give us the option to turn it off.