PDA

View Full Version : iPad Downloader Apps

Japester
11th May 2010, 09:45 PM
Anybody use a downloader app? They seem to expose the downloads through iTunes sharing. Could be okay. I'm interested in any ones that people like.

I'm looking at Downloader (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/downloader-download-view-share/id318884764?mt=8).

Rust
12th May 2010, 12:44 PM
That app looks awesome...might give it a go when i get home. I'm using "Downloads Lite" which is a free version and seems very basic compared to the one you mentioned.

MightyAtom
12th May 2010, 01:01 PM
Anybody use a downloader app? They seem to expose the downloads through iTunes sharing. Could be okay. I'm interested in any ones that people like.

I'm looking at Downloader (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/downloader-download-view-share/id318884764?mt=8).

I've tried Downloader, I found it pretty useless. I just use iCab as a web browser instead of Safari, much better browser, supports downloads which you can access through iTunes or via wifi through a built-in web server.

harrisonx
12th May 2010, 02:22 PM
second on iCab. It's pretty good.

Japester
12th May 2010, 02:25 PM
second on iCab. It's pretty good.

Thanks, but I'm not using a different browser. Still interested in download apps that people like.

Japester
12th May 2010, 02:26 PM
I've tried Downloader, I found it pretty useless. I just use iCab as a web browser instead of Safari, much better browser, supports downloads which you can access through iTunes or via wifi through a built-in web server.

What didn't you like about Downloader?

MightyAtom
12th May 2010, 03:08 PM
What didn't you like about Downloader?

Just found it a huge inconvenience switching between a browser and download app. Downloaders interface is kind of clunky, especially having to remember to switch between browser and download mode, it also had trouble interpreting non-static download links.

iCab is a far superior browser to Safari, if I hit a download link it'll just ask if I want to download the file and do its thing. I have my iPad jail-broken and backgrounder installed. I can run iCab backgrounded with the web server active then VNC into my desktop and copy off the files.

Japester
12th May 2010, 03:17 PM
Just found it a huge inconvenience switching between a browser and download app. Downloaders interface is kind of clunky, especially having to remember to switch between browser and download mode, it also had trouble interpreting non-static download links.

iCab is a far superior browser to Safari, if I hit a download link it'll just ask if I want to download the file and do its thing. I have my iPad jail-broken and backgrounder installed. I can run iCab backgrounded with the web server active then VNC into my desktop and copy off the files.

Ah, you've said the magic word: jailbroken. I'm not going to jailbreak. I don't need to download a lot, so it's not something I would do all the time. It's about the only thing my laptop can do that this can't, in my day-to-day activities.

MightyAtom
12th May 2010, 03:28 PM
Backgrounder is just a convenience to me, it isn't necessary for iCab. I just don't want to get up off the sofa and walk to the other end of the house to copy a 1MB file to my desktop.

Still, I don't understand the fundamentalist dislike for jail-breaking around here.

Scatiee
6th February 2011, 10:14 PM

Thank you sooooo much for this tip. I have tried so many download apps for my iPad but iCab is brilliant. It's sleek and works with all the sites I use.
Thank you again xx:cool1:

hasanito
7th February 2011, 12:38 AM
Try Readdledocks (http://readdle.com/) for iPad...
It's the perfect little document handler and have inbuilt browser that supports downloading files then allows you to open the file in other apps..
You can use it to download thru hotfile and rapidshare as well