PDA

View Full Version : Can't access folder with large number of files

Musky
11th May 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Gang, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.

I've recently set up a NAS with 4GB usable space, I used my Unibody Macbook to copy all my files over from separate 1TB drives ending up with about 2Tb of files. One of the folders has the bulk of the files with probably 60-70 folders containing anywhere between 20-100 files.

The problem is that anytime I connect to the NAS and try to access this folder I get, the spinning lines in the bottom of the finder window and then if I try to do anything else I get the spinning beachball of death.

I've tried accessing this folder and not doing anything else but even after an hour it isn't displaying the contents. I know the NAS is working fine because I was watching video from it, I can also access any of the folders with a smaller number of files and my Windows PC can access the folder in about 10 seconds.

Anyone got any ideas?

Balthazar
11th May 2010, 10:04 AM
How are you connecting to the NAS? Wifi? Ethernet? etc... what are you trying to access the files with? Finder? FTP?

Musky
11th May 2010, 10:09 AM
I've tried connecting via both WiFi and Ethernet and I'm using the finder to access the drive

Balthazar
11th May 2010, 10:11 AM
And what are you using as your NAS interface?

Musky
11th May 2010, 10:12 AM
Sorry not sure what you mean by that one? Do you mean how is it all connected?

The NAS is connected via Ethernet to my Router and my Macbook was connected to the same router via Ethernet. Nas is formatted as Raid 5 Ext 2