PDA

View Full Version : Is there network file access for iPad and a development IDE app?

cappuccino
11th May 2010, 01:16 AM
Hey folks,

Definitely getting myself a iPad 3GS as soon as Telstra brings out the postpaid plans (yeah i know Telstra is pricier than other providers, but I need the NextG speed and coverage).

Wanted to know, are you able to access shared / public folders on your mac through the iPad? Or getting it to do so through jailbreaking.

And then, being able to edit those files. Any suggestions for a good app for editing PHP, HTML, CSS, JavaScript etc files?

I'm not looking to turn my iPad into a web server, but I would like to ability to edit script files on my mac server.

Btw, this is over LAN not WAN (but WAN would be a bonus).

... out of interest, i imagine no one has managed to turn the iPad into a LAMP server right? lol... i wouldn't do so, but would like to know what crazy things people have been able to achieve.

LithgowLights
11th May 2010, 01:28 AM
iPad 3GS???? Telstra have already released new data plans for the iPad and they are not bad at all.

if you mean iPhone, then as yet the plans are still pretty poor, but that may change in a few months when the new phone is rumored to be released :)

cappuccino
11th May 2010, 09:16 AM
nope, meant iPad WiFi + 3G.

Mickytk
11th May 2010, 09:52 AM
There are a couple of script editing apps for the iphone / ipad, but:

1. I dont know that any are very good
2. I dont know that they work with a remote server

cappuccino
11th May 2010, 10:33 AM
well i solved the network issue since i forgot that i can just turn on FTP file sharing on mac os x, so no need to jailbreak for that.

but still looking for a decent PHP editor which will edit files directly on FTP server. btw, i don't need fancy things like code checkers etc, just simply colour coding syntax and maybe autocompletion.

nando
11th May 2010, 10:52 AM
dont think there is any IDE for the iphone OS

Alec Fraser
11th May 2010, 12:02 PM
Apple don't allow applications that could interpret code to be created for the iPhone OS, so that rules out IDEs.