PDA

View Full Version : Will a SSD help my slow MBA?

dche5390
10th May 2010, 08:55 PM
I got a Rev A 1.6GHz MBA with the ludicrously slow 4200rpm HDD. Of late, I've noticed that it is dog slow in all tasks. Boot times, shut down times, closing of applications, opening of applications - everything is way too slow.

I've always wanted a SSD. Now that prices are too extreme for even a 160GB SSD, I'm very tempted to install one now.

Will a Apple technician install an SSD for me to that I can retain my APP?

GlossyMac
10th May 2010, 10:57 PM
Due to the MacBook Air you have, the bits & bobs that hold the drive are different to the newer MacBook Air's. Replacing the drive would be a lot more difficult & I'm not even sure that you can use the standard SSD's.
I'm giving you a very big picture (which may not even be correct.. I'm just going by what I remember) so I suggest calling Apple tomorrow and asking a technician.
Let us know how you go!
-GlossyMac

leon
10th May 2010, 10:59 PM
You need a special 1.8" ZIF socket PATA SSD which can be hard to find. The ones I have seen aren't that quick. Better off selling it and getting a SATA based MBA (but that is only my opinion.

DeanCorp
10th May 2010, 10:59 PM
Cheaper to just sell your MBA and buy another MBA with a solid state. They don't take the regular 2.5" SSD's you will need a special 1.8", which are damn expensive!!

Brains
11th May 2010, 04:25 AM
dch: I'm with the guys, shifting from micro-HD to micro-SDD is going to prove expensive, and not really be all that much faster.

The best thing you can do to coax some extra life out of your fashion accessory is to remove as much from the internal drive as you can, do a full backup of what's left via Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner to an external drive, then reformat and re-install OSX and use Migration Assistant to restore your account data and all settings, docs and non-Apple apps.

For best continued performance, it is important that you keep 10 GB or 10% of your boot drive (whichever is larger) as free space at all times -- the less free space you have, the slower the entire machine gets.

I would also refrain from using Firefox as a browser, as this often has memory leak problems, wants to maintain a cache for every tab that is open, and can generally be found to be the culprit of excess disk usage.

DeanCorp
11th May 2010, 08:14 AM
The best thing you can do to coax some extra life out of your fashion accessory

I love it!!

dche5390
11th May 2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks. I'll sell my MBA and look out for one with a SSD pre-installed.

Say what you will about the MBA, it's great to have in the backpack at all times, especially when one goes back to postgrad studies. The 13" MBP felt significantly bulkier.

Seakip
11th May 2010, 04:14 PM
Get a slightly bigger bag and a good case.

Honestly, I'm a 15 year old student and I used to take a 17 inch laptop with me to school everyday. I now take a 13" MBP and it's totally fine.

dche5390
11th May 2010, 05:42 PM
Um .. i used to have a 17" MBP too when it was my sole computer. A 15" and a 13" MBP as well. I don't see why people don't understand the use of a MBA. It does what I need. I can certainly notice the difference in weight and size between a 13" MBP and a MBA.

Good for you if you find a 13" MBP fine. I used it for 9 months before giving up and getting the MBA again. I find a MBA more suited for my purposes on the road. My iMac is what I rely on at home.