PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Authorisation

fuzzykeeghan
10th May 2010, 05:23 PM
Just a little FYI for you all...

If you get an email from STORE_PAYMENT@APPLE.COM.AU where it asks you for a fax of your credit card statement, and you absolutely CBF.
Call them...
Just call them and instead of stuffing around scanning they can confirm it over the phone and they'll process your order.
;) Just thought it would save at least one person time!

thats awesome
10th May 2010, 06:52 PM
I have never been asked to send a credit card statement...weird.

Maybe because I'm usually not an early adopter.

dangelovich
10th May 2010, 07:15 PM
I'd check those email headers... sounds awful scam-ish.
I can't think of an instance where they'd need you to send them a credit card statement.

mitty
10th May 2010, 07:17 PM
Dumb question, but did you actually ring Apple 133622? That's the only number I would call.

QueenOfSwords
10th May 2010, 07:18 PM
That is weird.. What are the headers on that email?

Nightwish
10th May 2010, 07:35 PM
Oh oh. :/

lord
10th May 2010, 08:13 PM
I highly doubt apple would ever email you asking for something like that. You've been scammed.

Sebastianmonty
10th May 2010, 08:20 PM
I just order from the AU website and I got an email from this domain

Apple Store <order_acknowledgment@orders.apple.com>

I don't think they use email address at apple.com.au.

When I had trouble with an Australia itunes rental I was contacted from this address:
iTunes Store <iTunesStoreSupport@apple.com>

Years ago when I had a problem with transferring APP from a DOA iMac to a replacement iMac I was emailed by this guy:
Stephen Hider <shider@asia.apple.com>

He was in Sydney, Australia and worked at the Myer in the city. So it is a scam email thing.

fuzzykeeghan
10th May 2010, 08:30 PM
I was thinking that it was a scam too!
But sure enough when they called they told me it was simply for security reason.
The number provided was 1800 232 417.

Turns out it was legit.

dangelovich
10th May 2010, 09:41 PM
I just order from the AU website and I got an email from this domain

Apple Store <order_acknowledgment@orders.apple.com>

Still gotta check the headers... its easy to forge From addresses and such.
The full headers will have the server names and other info you can use to verify the source.

macuzer
10th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, it looks like you've been scammed. I'd cancel my credit card pretty quickly if I were you. Apple NEVER email back and ask for these details.

There's similar scam stories here:

Dodgy Apple purchasing emails - Stores - Apple (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/965597.html)
Apple store credit card purchasing - Stores - Apple (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/826642.html)

Teddo
10th May 2010, 10:04 PM
thanx for that info folks.

The em I got was from idproof@asia.apple.com and I replied "I no longer get sent documents & I don't have a scanner. My accounts on the web page".

6andy6
10th May 2010, 10:07 PM
Ummmm - NO company should be asking for a copy of a credit card photocopy. Any reputable dealer can check themselves using their own merchant systems whether the card number you gave is legit or not. They don't need a copy of the card or a statement. Becareful...

msilsby
11th May 2010, 07:12 PM
If you log in through the velocity website, you can get 4 points to the dollar for apple website purchases. That is more than 4000 points, which is worthwhile.

Alternatively, you can follow the link through the mactalk website and support mactalk.

p.s. When it says on the apple website that it will just 'pre-authorise' your credit card and not deduct the full amount 'at this time', that is complete baloney. They took the full money out.

hazza1981
11th May 2010, 07:24 PM
Ordered mine yesterday and they appear to have only done a purchase authorisation for $1 and the available credit hasn't changed at all.

Has that happened to anyone else?

LithgowLights
11th May 2010, 08:21 PM
Ordered mine yesterday and they appear to have only done a purchase authorisation for $1 and the available credit hasn't changed at all.

Has that happened to anyone else?

Same here

D_W_Y
11th May 2010, 08:27 PM
the website should end in apple.com, there isnt even a .au site for apple its apple.com/au if you ever cared to look. the number you rang is probably some guy/girl pretending to be from apple.
you've either been scammed or you are posting this here in attempt to place a false positive where lots of ipad enthusiasts live.

or im completely wrong.

edit: also just wanted to share that when i bought my mac i asked for the receipt to be mailed to me from the brisbane chermside store and its email is chermside@apple.com
a store in australia doesnt even have .au on the end.

nando
11th May 2010, 08:36 PM
Same here

nope....the full amount has been withdrawn...or at least locked..cuz avail bal is total money - ipad money

check the avail bal...is like when u go to a hotel..they lock that money...and i guess apple will do the same till you get the iPad..
i mean....if they delay it more..they might send something to us to tell us wether we want to hang on and wait..or whether we want to opt out..in which case they will just release the money....just guessing...

macuzer
11th May 2010, 09:05 PM
But sure enough when they called they told me it was simply for security reason.

Turns out it was legit.

As has been said, we're 100% sure that it was NOT legit. Interesting that we haven't heard back from fuzzykeeghan since - have you cancelled your card yet? What has happened to your account? :eek:

QueenOfSwords
11th May 2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah sounds extremely dodgy. It's a form of 'spear phishing', basically hitting specific targets with phishing emails asking for your bank account details, TFN, etc. They tune the scam to their targets so it appears much more credible - Phishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#Recent_phishing_attempts)
The iPad just got released for pre-order in Australia - so some scumbag probably spammed his list of '.au' addresses. The probability of getting some gullible soul to respond is much higher than normal spam.

WindowsVista
11th May 2010, 09:13 PM
When I first used the Apple Store to purchase a Macbook Pro in August last year, I had to do this. I thought it was extremely strange/ scam-like. But no it all turned out 100% legit, I called apple to make sure.

johnappleseed0
11th May 2010, 10:44 PM
LOL

Folks, this is standard operating procedure - and is not Apple's fault. When your payment is processed, sometimes you get approval without conditionality. Other times, the merchant will return an approval code (e.g. 011) which means "approved subject to additional verification". This might happen for example, if you are using a credit card that has been issued with a high-risk BIN (Bank Identification Number) or some other possible reasons.

hazza1981
12th May 2010, 07:23 AM
nope....the full amount has been withdrawn...or at least locked..cuz avail bal is total money - ipad money

check the avail bal...is like when u go to a hotel..they lock that money...and i guess apple will do the same till you get the iPad..
i mean....if they delay it more..they might send something to us to tell us wether we want to hang on and wait..or whether we want to opt out..in which case they will just release the money....just guessing...

The available balance hasn't changed at all which is why I thought it was strange - maybe it's something to do with the bank rather than Apple!

6andy6
12th May 2010, 03:15 PM
LOL

Folks, this is standard operating procedure - and is not Apple's fault. When your payment is processed, sometimes you get approval without conditionality. Other times, the merchant will return an approval code (e.g. 011) which means "approved subject to additional verification". This might happen for example, if you are using a credit card that has been issued with a high-risk BIN (Bank Identification Number) or some other possible reasons.

Standard??? Since when?

And the banks protection of your credit card will stop when they find out you faxed a copy of it out after someone asked you to.

Fedgrub
12th May 2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah, it is legit. I have phoned Apple telling them it sounded dodgy in the past. Each time they say they definately did send that email, but confirmed my credit card details over the phone without sending them a copy of my statement or anything.

Really fucking annoying.

MacDub
12th May 2010, 04:42 PM
Still sounds dodgy.

The only number I'd be calling, would be Apple on 133 622.

That or the bank to cancel my CC.

boogie
12th May 2010, 06:43 PM
Clicked order,checked cc account,full amount was deducted instantly.

aden
13th May 2010, 12:31 AM
I just looked though my emails (and found one from 2007) - same "idproof" email to reply to and same 1800 phone number (Apple Store Payment Management).

So don't stress as it's definitely legit, the apple.com.au address is most probably there because back in those days it was "Apple Computer Australia Pty Ltd" rather than "Apple Pty Ltd" which was around the same time they went to apple.com/au rather than apple.com.au as a domain - and they're obviously still using the email address for payment verifications.

If in doubt, call 133MAC and ask to be put though, or for them to confirm the 1800 number - but they're identical to what I had way back when (and it was 100% legit).

kyte
13th May 2010, 07:18 PM

Turns out it was legit.

I had the same call tonight, got home to a message on the answerphone from someone whose accent I couldnt understand, and was worried, but I called. I hadnt bought anything from the store before, and they were apparently fretful about the money not being released from my account yet, I really didnt get half of what the girl was saying... *I* knew the money was earmarked on the account but apparently Apple didnt. Anyway, its all go. That probably explains why my acknowledgement email has come today instead of Monday when I put the order in at 5am.