PDA

View Full Version : Importing Mail into Entourage vX

Secoa
22nd July 2004, 04:32 PM
I have been deciding whether I should switch to Entourage lately and one of the items that has held me back was not knowing how to import my email's from Mail into Entourage.

I have had a look at the import function of Entourage and I could not find that it supported it.

Does anyone know an Apple script or another solution for this?

Please note I am using version X and have not upgraded to 2004 (yet.... got to convince the wife first).

Thanks

Disko
22nd July 2004, 04:40 PM
I have to use both Mail and Entourage, and i've got to say - in my opinion, Entourage is bloat-ware. Unless you *need* to use the calendar features (instead of iCal) or contact info (instead of address book), then do so. But if i had a choice, i wouldn't be using it at all.

Sorry that my post has been mostly opinion, and not helping you figure out how to transfer emails. :unsure:

elvis
22nd July 2004, 07:35 PM
Seconded. Entourage is bloated, slow, ugly and susceptible to the usual onslaught of Microsoft-prone active-x viruses and evil vbscripts.

Do the world (and more importantly your Mac) a favour and avoid it where ever humanly possible. There is not one single feature that Entourage has that Apple Mail either doesn't already have, or doesn't need. To be honest, I can't understand why anyone would voluntarily give their hard earned dollars away for that tripe.

</soapbox>

My apologies for not answering the topic at hand, but it needed to be said.

Secoa
22nd July 2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks for that Disko.

I guess I want to try it before I cast judgement.

Some of the things that I would want to know before I do make the jump from Mail to Entourage is:

how do I import e-mails and the mailbox/folder structure and can I import them back to Mail from Entourage if I wish to not use it.

junk mail filtering. One item I don&#39;t like about Mail is that I can&#39;t filter by type of attachment I believe you can with Entourage.

coping with large email accounts. My last email box was over 3 gig (noting it was Outlook 2000 and I am not sure how much relates to the program itself).

yinyang
22nd July 2004, 09:35 PM
you can try here for some scripts to import or export to entourage...

http://www.scriptbuilders.net/category.php?id=1667

i had been using entourage on my iMac and found it quite slow, but because my wife and i were both on the same machine (same account) it was easier for me to use entourage and her to use mail. it&#39;s not that bad, but i never used the calendar, prefering iCal much much more, but it is cumbersome, and a bit of a dog to start.

so now that i&#39;m on my new powerbook i&#39;ve decided to switch back to mail, though i kinda miss my hotmail account that entourage can get, but with gmail, who needs hotmail&#33;&#33; ;)

not sure what to do though if i get office 2004 since entourage has ben given a face lift...&#33;?

as for your questions:

1 - the above scripts should cover that (excpet for any hotmail messages)
2 - never bothered with filtering really
3 - entourage can handle 4g as at last update

hope that helps :)

Currawong
23rd July 2004, 09:31 AM
Entourage is a good email program, if your needs are anything like mine. I&#39;m not joking here, I use it. It&#39;s best used for people who need to keep track of heavy email traffic. That being said, do rebuild your database at regular intervals, as previous incarnations have been known to corrupt.

I use it as I like the idea of being able to see at a glance my selected combination of recent emails, sorted by various prorities and categories, while knowing they are sorted on download into their correct folders. It also tells you when an email was a followup/reply to a previous one, and allows you to click on a link to that previous email for review. As well, I&#39;m using the project centre to manage various ongoing concerns of mine.

The downside to any M&#036; product has always been more features than reliability. Since the horror that was Word 6, however, things have been very slowly improving, and Entourage is far better than it was a few years ago when it was introduced.

If your mail needs aren&#39;t complex, I&#39;d stick to Mail.app, however.