PDA

View Full Version : Kazaa

Kuma
5th September 2005, 09:16 PM
The SMH has posted this article (http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/kazaa-ordered-to-clamp-down-on-ripoffs/2005/09/05/1125772456132.html) about new restrictions that Kazaa has to implement on its service.

My question is - does this really matter?
Isn't Limewire the pre eminent file sharing software?

Why aren't the writers of Limewire not being taken to court?

I just find this a bit perplexing....

The record companies continue to chase file swapping systems - only to have more file swapping systems emerge..... :huh:

edit - corrected typos

Paxton
5th September 2005, 09:19 PM
Thread moved to Software General.

the_OM
5th September 2005, 10:24 PM
Limewire is open source, so there isn't one person who controls it, unlike Kazaa which is run my sharman networks or something.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

xfodder
5th September 2005, 10:47 PM
i still think the only way to lower piracy is to lower the cost of purchase.

people are dreaming if they think piracy will cease all together.

this ruling took awhile, i remember a few years ago was when the sharman offices where raided.

Beast5500
7th September 2005, 10:35 AM
i still think the only way to lower piracy is to lower the cost of purchase
exactly.
but they keep saying that "it is costing us billions of dollars"
i can't quite see the revenue in making music CDs, bar the CD and case itself.
Still, if people are finatics, they will go and see the live tours of the band and buy murchandise etc...

there is a serious lack of online mp3 stores about. bigpondmusic is the only oz based legit mp3 online store that i know of and i don't want to be holding an overseas account by signing up else where with a bigger range of music.

sikosis
7th September 2005, 12:53 PM
yeh I thought it was interesting that HMV and Virgin in the UK are launching their online stores ... wonder if they'll trickle to AU ...

SRG
7th September 2005, 01:34 PM
HMV website Australia (http://www.hmv.com.au) does now have a download service (on ninemsn).

Of course is Windows DRM so of no use to us Mac users.

There is also Jb Hi-Fi, Chaos etc who do download sites also. Again windows based.