PDA

View Full Version : Driving Log Book Application Wanted

bubble
9th May 2010, 11:31 AM
I have started a job that requires me to travel so I would like to log my trips as easily as possible.
It would be nice if the GPS apps available would do this, but it seems they do not (TomTom and Navigon). It would make so much sense as they can easily track the distance travelled without any need for input. And for the price we pay for these and the fact that the standalone units offer it you'd think it would be in there.
I have played with Trip Cubby, but it seems a bit clumsy. There seems to be a serious lack of options for these types of apps - either that or my App store searching sux.

DeKa
9th May 2010, 12:40 PM
You didn't really explain what you want this application to do - but Road Trip might be what you want. You enter fuel price and amount, along with odometer readings. It uses GPS to record the physical location you refuelled at. You can set "Road Trips" up with a start and end odometer reading, and it shows you how much fuel you used in that trip.
I'm very happy with it.

Road Trip ? MPG, Mileage and Fuel Economy for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/road-trip-mpg-mileage-fuel/id298398207?mt=8)

DJY
9th May 2010, 12:44 PM
I thought about this for a while...
and liked the idea of tracking fuel economy / prices as well...

but I went with Tripometer Mileage Log.
Started with free version - then paid for it.
My primary reason was I wanted a simple - easy to use - way of tracking my kms that are work related for tax time.

Easy start and end time wise - ability to add reasons / purpose.
and then get it out of my iPhone ok.

bubble
9th May 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks. Will check them both out.
DeKa, you assumed corrctly - I do want to track fuel usage and costs.

LithgowLights
10th May 2010, 08:39 AM
I ended up creating a spreadsheet and use quickoffice to edit it on the run. This is not ideal, but it tracks pretty much everything from fill costs, charged cost (novated lease so no GST plus a slight discount too), ideal Km at this date, cost per km for the fuel, economy in MPG and l/100km plus a running overall economy value.

I actually have considered converting it to a .php and MySQL website to make it a bit neater

dracomjb
10th May 2010, 03:12 PM
If all you want to do is record fuel statistics - when you filled up, how much, and what L/100Km you are getting then Gas Cubby is what you want rather than Trip Cubby.

When I had a palm-pilot I used a program called MPG which was perfect for this, and Gas Cubby is probably the closest on the iPhone.

PeterAdams
14th July 2010, 02:15 PM
I used Trip Cubby to track my mileage on two different cars for the 3 months required by the ATO for a log book for business vs personal use and found it did the job. Like all Apps, you just have to get your head around what you want out of it and the the design approach taken by the developers. Once I had developed my Purpose and Tags categories to suit most of my trips, it became relatively painless to use.

Also, I checked with the ATO enquiry line to make sure they would accept an electronic version and was assured they would.

Peter