PDA

View Full Version : Better resale? i7 15" or i5 17" MBP

applebyte
8th May 2010, 05:59 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering which one of these will have better resale value when it comes time to sell. Any educated guesses?

Cheers

scotty134
8th May 2010, 07:31 PM
Top of the line computers earn a premium, but it is hard to say. If I was in this position, I would consider the impact size has on how often the laptop is transported. Perhaps a buyer may think it will have less wear and tear if it is a big laptop.

mjankor
8th May 2010, 11:45 PM
i7, 15" imo.

skip73
9th May 2010, 07:21 PM
It's subjective. No real winner. Depends on who's looking on the day.

Both are desirable machines, though.

g4cube
10th May 2010, 06:26 PM
I would only and have only gone the 17" as i don't want a 2nd screen so i must have the biggest machine i can.

dche5390
17th May 2010, 09:53 AM
Can you salary sacrifice? Or claim expense as part of a small business?

The 17" may possible sell higher, but it does cost a lot more to begin with.

applebyte
17th May 2010, 11:03 AM
The 17" may possible sell higher, but it does cost a lot more to begin with.

It actually doesn't, which is what lead me to ask. But I neglected to say I was comparing the 15" high res i7 vs the 17" i5

The prices of the two are incredibly close

jok3r
17th May 2010, 01:49 PM
Im leaning towards the 15" having the better resale value.

Whats ive notice is that, though i could be wrong...
Theres generally a higher demographic of people purchasing 15" laptops over 17" laptops.

In my group of friends of 20, almost every1 has a laptop between the size of 10" to 15" not one have 17"
More demand higher the resale value..
But i could be wrong...

thats awesome
17th May 2010, 02:05 PM
Im leaning towards the 15" having the better resale value.

Theres generally a higher demographic of people purchasing 15" laptops over 17" laptops.

I believe you would be right, most people buy laptops for their portability, whilst the 17" is 'portable' is is still quite large and heavy compared to the 15".

Therefore more people are in the market to buy a 15".

I have found that resale with computers is like that of cars, you may pay for all these options when you purchase a car, however when it comes time to sell it you will hardly recoup much of that extra purchase price.

For this reason I now opt for standard configuration computers and add ram/hdd myself.

If you really do want the premium i7 15" though, I would think it will have a better resale.

Good luck =)

idiesel
17th May 2010, 07:10 PM
Another vote for portability.
I'd maybe consider a 17" as a desktop replacement only, but a 15" for more portability which is more of an attraction to my needs for a Notebook