PDA

View Full Version : someone please help me windows computer infected

auspad
8th May 2010, 03:11 PM
aaah my windows is infected can someone tell what to do? it says can not run exe because it is infected and it wants me to start a scan with some "antivirus" that i have never heard of and i didn't download. and cant run any programs please i dont want to loose my data can you help me? ts running win xp

DagrtheSnide
8th May 2010, 03:29 PM
see if you can identify the virus and google the name of it to find the steps you need to take

auspad
8th May 2010, 03:44 PM
how do i dO that?

DagrtheSnide
8th May 2010, 03:58 PM
Why don't you start with the name of the supposedly AV program you didn't download or install.

imacattack
8th May 2010, 06:05 PM
Do you have an AV installed if you do you should still be able to get it to run a scan. ?

macuzer
8th May 2010, 06:55 PM
What you've got is a fake AntiVirus that is probably throwing up a fake image of you hard drive and saying that you've got 'x' number of viruses etc. Whatever you do DON'T click on anything to ask it to clean you computer - this will actually install the virus onto your system and that makes things a lot harder.

It's possible that you're already infected, so what I would do first is download Malwarebytes (Mbam) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php)
(make sure you click the blue button to download the FREE version - which will take you to Cnet, and then you can download). Once downloaded, install this software and run a quick scan. If it identifies any malware make sure you tell it to remove them all - it may need to restart to complete this process. Then run the scan again to check. Then run your Anti-virus (you do have one of course if you're running Windows) and do a full scan.

There is a possibility that you have installed something that will stop Mbam or other anti-viruses from running, in which case you'll need to use the task manager to identify what is running (it's usually using a lot of CPU) take note of the path to the .exe file and then force the process to end. Manually delete the .exe file, and then run through the Mbam process etc. A good way of locating any 'bad' processes is to do a search on the process name you see hogging your CPU ie 'trojan.exe' on the processlibrary.com site to identify if it is legit or not - you don't want to be deleting important system files!

There's a lot more steps and issues with dealing with a Windows infection of course (including booting into safe mode, turning off System Restore etc.) but this is a starting point for you.

nbetts
8th May 2010, 07:25 PM
You've come to the right place. An apple forum. Switch to a Mac. No more viruses. ;-)

macuzer
8th May 2010, 10:06 PM
.... the downside to BootCamp!

jesse
9th May 2010, 03:04 PM
This website got rid of 100% of my virus' (http://www.apple.com)