PDA

View Full Version : Musings on Windows 7

Abaddon
7th May 2010, 09:45 AM
I know that's a strange title thread for an OS X forum but bear with me.

Recently while visiting the in-laws I had a chance to play with my Mother-in-Law's recently upgraded Win 7 box. This was the first chance I'd had to play with Win 7 in any great detail, and my experience got me to thinking. I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts.

1. It's purty! Windows 7 is nice to use in terms of it's interface. A lot nicer than XP. (let's pretend Vista never happened shall we, I think that's best for all involved). Although a few hours of use is hardly enough time for a definitive opinion, it felt nicer to use in terms of usability.

2. It's still Windows. Well the reason that M-I-L wanted me to play with it was she was having problems with it, and sure enough, once you get past the eye-candy, it's still Windows. Very nice when it works but a nightmare to try and fix when it doesn't. I still had the same frustrating experiences as on my old XP box when trying to find out problems. "Logically it shouldn't work like that but it does. WTF!" For example one of the problems was that printing from a Web Page defaulted to Letter rather than A4 paper. I set the default setting in Control Panel but it still would format the print for Letter when printing from a web page?! I just had to tell her to check the print and change the setting manually each time before printing to make sure it would work the way she wanted. As I said....it's still Windows.

3. Mac vs Windows. This was probably the first time since switching that I came across the frustration that long time Mac users must feel every time they discuss Windows with any Windows users. I asked my Mother-in-Law what she thought of Win 7 and she told me that despite the problems she loved it. One highlight she mentioned (she's into photography) was the way that Windows 7 handled media and how you could browse through your photo library like it was a book. I decided it would be more trouble than it was worth to point out it was a feature that was called Coverflow and had been ....ahem...."borrowed" from Apple. But I can understand how frustrating it must be for Apple itself when a lot of Windows users don't realise that some of the features that they think makes Windows superior, aren't Windows features at all.

So an interesting experience and overall although Win 7 was an improvement it still left me satisfied that I'd made the right decision to switch.

Just a few random ramblings I thought I'd share on a Friday morning.

Angsty
7th May 2010, 10:13 AM
I used the RC beta all of last year at work on my MacBook Air and I really liked the experience. How much? - I forked out the $379 to buy the Win 7Ultimate version-much!

I found that as a Mac user, the new desktop layout and OS was very easy to pick up and use. I just knew where to find things, while my co-worker who was an XP Pro user found it very hard and frustrating trying to work out where things were and how to do things. My theory is that Win7 is Mac- like in the look and feel of the desktop and user experience; the jump from the Mac OS to Win7 OS was less of a jump for me than my friend (who has gone back to XP Pro)

As I like my desktop uncluttered with windows and stuff, the way Win7 switches to full-screen mode is reall cool and useful. I've always liked the Win file Explorer much, much better than Finder, so that was another bonus.

But for me, the most OMG feature of Win7 was that I could go into Device Manager and disable the Multitouch trackpad on my MacBook Air - yeah!! I could FINALLY use the keyboard for full-on typing!!! That alone is worth the $$ for Win7 in my book!

YMMV of course :)

I'm getting to the point where I don't care what OS I am using - just let me get my work done.

Ang

craigc
7th May 2010, 12:56 PM
I really like Windows 7, but there are still some glaring holes. For example, it is not possible in Windows Live Movie Maker to export in PAL format - only NTSC is available. This effectively makes Microsoft's flagship movie editing software completely useless for anyone outside of the US.

The one thing that Windows Live Movie Maker does well is that it allows for native editing of AVCHD files - which is a feature I hope is added to iMovie soon.

On the other hand, I much prefer Windows Explorer over Finder.

idiesel
7th May 2010, 06:29 PM
The one thing that Windows Live Movie Maker does well is that it allows for native editing of AVCHD files - which is a feature I hope is added to iMovie soon.
Here, here.

As a recent switcher, I still use my Windows based video editing suite for 1080p content from my HD camcorder.

iGobbleoff
7th May 2010, 06:35 PM
i had work put on win7 on my laptop for testing, and i dont mind it at all. its a nice go-between for work purposes, but i would still love to see CAD on OSX, hopefully soon.

I like it moreso than XP, looks good, performs good for what we need.

Steeley
7th May 2010, 06:38 PM
I really like Windows 7. In terms of 'holes', well, I guess there's just as many as there are in OS X when it comes down to it. Aero Snap is an absolute thing of beauty and I've installed Cinch on my Mac to get the same thing. Probably not fair to imply that Microsoft flogged Coverflow from Apple, when Apple bought the technology and didn't conceive it.

inedibleshoe
7th May 2010, 08:24 PM
Windows 7 does two things that are amazing.

The first is to do with VAL or Vista Anti Lag. See, Vista would do this ridiculously annoying stunt where about every 59 seconds the computer would stutter both graphic and sound for about 1-2 seconds then carry on like nothing happened. It'd do this for the entire time Vista was running.
It doesn't need it, because that problem is gone.

The second is do with Hibernation, and I think Win7 does this better than OS X manages it. Win7 can take a snapshot of everything running, including Windows, Programs, etc, save it to disk, then turn the computer off. You can turn the computer back on, boot to OS X, do your thing. Then, when you want to reboot back to Win7, it will resume using that image. So, net effect being you don't have to close all your programs when you're coming back from Win7.

But you can't if you want to from OS X to Win7. Everything has to be closed down.
But imagine if OS X could do that. Got a billion Tabs open in Safari and you need to go to Win7 for something for 10 minutes? No problem. When you come back, everything's as you left it. Maybe next revision.

Kionon
7th May 2010, 09:53 PM
I betaed it. I wasn't impressed. I will ONLY get it when I get a new Mac with HDCP compliant graphics drivers (the new Minis and MacBooks have these. Mine, Late 2007, early 2008, have the 945 intel chipset which will not pass go, will not collect 200 dollars) so I can watch blu ray movies without ripping them. Aside from that, I see zero reason to go into Windows, and I sure as heck am not going to edit in windows. Might as well have just stuck with PC.

And yes, Abaddon. As I have mentioned elsewhere, every time I visit my mother. Fly halfway around the world and what not, I spend at least a few hours messing with her VistAIDS installed Dell mini. She does do some photoshop work, she surfs, she skypes. THAT IS IT. I wanted to give her my Mac Mini G4, but my father insisted he buy her this brand new (and utterly cheap and crappy) Dell.

I was a sad panda. :(

craigc
7th May 2010, 10:05 PM
Here, here.

As a recent switcher, I still use my Windows based video editing suite for 1080p content from my HD camcorder.

Out of interest, what video editing suite do you use?

idiesel
8th May 2010, 12:02 AM
I use Ulead VideoStudio 11.5. There's been a couple of upgrades since, it's probably not the best, but certainly does what I need it do.

thats awesome
8th May 2010, 12:33 AM
I too really like Windows 7, It's unfortunate that work hasn't updated, and I doubt they will.

I would think about getting a PC laptop to run win7 however I hate every track pad apart from Apples.

idiesel
8th May 2010, 01:27 PM
We've only just upgraded to XP at work! :o

Maybe in another 7 years we'll be ready for Win7

Apoptosis
8th May 2010, 01:45 PM
We've only just upgraded to XP at work! :o

Maybe in another 7 years we'll be ready for Win7

:| Seriously? How can that even be considered a smart move by your IT department?! So many vulnerabilities exist for that OS that have been patched or will be patched in Win7 due to it being the current OS rather than 2 generations ago and out of active dev.

/rant lol

That said, I have a Win7 Desktop and I love it. I also have a SnowLeopard MBP and I love that. They're both pretty damn awesome in my books!

Ps. I don't know if it's just because I'm not an idiot who fucks with settings all the time without knowing what I'm doing but I've NEVER had problems like some have described in Windows. I've also NEVER had a virus or piece of malware. Whereas I've had ones in OS X which completely defy logic and reason requiring a reinstall of the OS. (After all the usual things such as resetting permissions, deleting .plist files and reinstalling drivers etc failed).

thebookfreak58
8th May 2010, 03:08 PM
It's still Windows. Well the reason that M-I-L wanted me to play with it was she was having problems with it, and sure enough, once you get past the eye-candy, it's still Windows. Very nice when it works but a nightmare to try and fix when it doesn't. I still had the same frustrating experiences as on my old XP box when trying to find out problems. "Logically it shouldn't work like that but it does. WTF!" For example one of the problems was that printing from a Web Page defaulted to Letter rather than A4 paper. I set the default setting in Control Panel but it still would format the print for Letter when printing from a web page?! I just had to tell her to check the print and change the setting manually each time before printing to make sure it would work the way she wanted. As I said....it's still Windows.

I think that's my biggest problem using Windows 7, I'm honestly confused by all the pretty shiny glass, then throw in the strange error messages and things don't work like they should. I've never been comfortable with the new Windows look since XP.

I still need W7 for Altium, Powerworld, VS and SPICE, I'm just glad that Steam is coming to OS X...

D_W_Y
9th May 2010, 08:32 PM
The interesting thing you'll find is people are confused by win7 if all they use is osx since it's rather idiot proof everything just works however people that use windows all the time will find zero issues in using osx( this being personal experience)

BiRDBRAiN
10th May 2010, 07:48 AM
Many, many..... MANY (you get the picture) people love Windows 7, and I'm talking general population, because its shiny.

It's difficult to convince people who are mesmerised by this "shininess" that its "lipstick on a pig".

Once you start using software on Windows 7 its just like using Windows 3.11 in terms of interface design.

Mind you I do like the way Windows 7 maximises windows.

Anyone who is a Windows "zombie" and is forced to use Mac OS X for any amount of time in my experience starts to get the idea that the pretty gadgets in the interface don't make a difference to the OS experience.
</rant>

mjankor
10th May 2010, 11:24 AM
My feelings are somewhat like birdbrains. It looks nice, but I just find it hard to be as productive under Win7 compared to OSX.

It's hard to describe, but I've always found running heavy software on Windows to feel like it used to when running software on OS 7 - 9. Windows may be supposed to have be as robust as OS X, but I've never managed to achieve anything like that.

Maybe it's badly written software, rather than the OS, but I find program crashes to be a surprise under OSX whereas I expect them under Win7.

Classic example of what I mean is a program called Synctoy, written by Microsoft, that I was planning to use to keep two folders synched. Unfortunately it basically made the system unusable while I was running it.