PDA

View Full Version : Safari - An Online Banking Query.

dholms
6th May 2010, 08:59 AM
Hey guy,

I have a question and don't know how to find an answer to it.

I received a call this mourning from my bank and was told that a small purchase has been made with my Visa/debut card, and that another large purchase should follow. Which is very annoying!

Question is, what would I have done online or Safari for them to get this information from me?

Three things I do:

1.Online banking with citi bank
2.Have a google checkout account (which I have deleted)
3.Buy weight training supplements online from aminoz.com.au

Any help would be great thanks

Byrd
6th May 2010, 09:21 AM
What about your transaction history from the bank - surely nothing to do with Safari? They can "see" in advance more than you ...

dholms
6th May 2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I didn't know where to post. But I made a transaction two days ago through the supplement store and today I get a call, seems as it would be due to that, yet they have the ANZ certified online payment stamp.

Bank is cancelling the card and said if you don't loose the card, then it is from online purchases. The reason I posted was because I wanted to inform the people at aminoz.com.au that this has happened, but don't want to put the blame on them if it because of something I did.

Byrd
6th May 2010, 10:19 AM
Ah right - so you're suspecting a dodgy transaction?

uncyherb
6th May 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm really confused by this.. what happened?

Did you make two transactions? Or one? Or none? Did ANZ call you about stuff you actually bought, or did they call you about things you never bought? Did ANZ call you about stuff that's already been charged to you or about charges that are yet to come?

Please try and explain this, and we might be able to answer your question, 'cos for the life of me I can't work out what you're talking about.

dholms
6th May 2010, 12:23 PM
Hey, uncyherb

Just one purchase two days ago, ANZ is the bank that has given a stamp of approval on aminoz.com.au website stating it is secure. CITI bank called me and asked if I made a 3.95 online purchase (which I hadn't - I told them about the supplements I made and received yesterday through the post)

They said that following the 3.95 would have been a larger purchase because someone was testing to see if my bank account was active. So the big charge from my understanding had yet to come, but they cancelled my visa/debut card before it happened.

That make more sense? :)

Byrd: Yeah, although the customer support is great with aminoz and this has been my third purchase?

Abaddon
6th May 2010, 01:52 PM
It happens. And unfortunately there's almost no way of knowing where they got your card details from, ie, whether it was due to negligence on your part, the part of this aminoz.com.au or somewhere else altogether. That's why it pays to do all your online purchases with a low limit card. That way if something big is purchased it should bounce, and canceling the card is not a big deal.

Perhaps be more cautious next time you order from the website and if it happens again by all means let them know. They may not be aware that their credit card list is compromised (or they may be but don't want to advertise it.....it happens a lot more than businesses are willing to admit).

nibbles
8th May 2010, 02:56 PM
hmmm, not blaming the website but don't secure sites have a green padlock in the address bar? surely it wouldn't be that hard to get the ANZ logo from another site and photoshop if needed, not saying they did.

lord
8th May 2010, 03:14 PM
hmmm, not blaming the website but don't secure sites have a green padlock in the address bar? surely it wouldn't be that hard to get the ANZ logo from another site and photoshop if needed, not saying they did.

SSL means the connection between you and the server is secure, thats not to say the storage at the other end is.

dholms
8th May 2010, 07:05 PM
Do you reckon I should contact them about this?

This was the third order I have done with them... First issue.

uncyherb
11th May 2010, 10:19 AM
Do you reckon I should contact them about this?

This was the third order I have done with them... First issue.

You didn't tell us who the $3.95 order was with... if it was with Aminoz then I'd definitely be letting them know. If it wasn't (or you're not 100% certain it was) then I wouldn't be blaming them.

A more likely answer to what has gone on is that your card has been skimmed when you've physically used it elsewhere.

If you're particularly concerned, and it sounds like you have every reason to be so, I'd call ANZ and ask for a new card and to have the current one cancelled.

dholms
11th May 2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, the $3.95 was seen by my bank (Citibank) as some small purchase that was made from someone online, not aminoz. That is when the bank called me and asked if I made the purchase of 3.95.

When I said no, they cancelled the card and issued me a new one. So thanks for that. I might called aminoz from now on to make my orders.

dholms
12th May 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm getting pretty worried now, cause my dad just emailed me asking if I was just talking to him on iChat which I wasn't and he said someone was logged in and speaking with him...?

Why do you guys think all of a sudden all my passwords have ben compromised? Are there any apps, that can help me spot this?

I have changed my password and logged in, it said the following:

You (denholmsmith@mac.com) are now signed into AOL(R) Instant Messenger (TM) in 2 locations. To sign off the other location(s), reply to this message with the number 1. Click here for more information.

When I clicked for more info it took me to aol.co.uk homepage?

uncyherb
13th May 2010, 01:13 PM
I'm getting pretty worried now, cause my dad just emailed me asking if I was just talking to him on iChat which I wasn't and he said someone was logged in and speaking with him...?

Why do you guys think all of a sudden all my passwords have ben compromised? Are there any apps, that can help me spot this?

I have changed my password and logged in, it said the following:

You (denholmsmith@mac.com) are now signed into AOL(R) Instant Messenger (TM) in 2 locations. To sign off the other location(s), reply to this message with the number 1. Click here for more information.

When I clicked for more info it took me to aol.co.uk homepage?

Sounds a bit of a worry.

In the situation above, type "1" (without the quote marks) and hit send/return. That will log whatever is logged in as you out, and force the location to attempt to log in again. If you've changed passwords the other location will need the new password to start chatting again.

On the other point, it's possible you've been hit with a keylogging trojan/virus at some point in the past (only on a PC, nothing like this exists on a Mac currently) and the trojan/virus has gained your info.

It's also possible the two things are completely un-related, and that the card fraud and the iChat things are coincidence.

It might, however, be time to step up your online security. Changing a heap of passwords to different ones (ie: the one used for Mactalk is different from any other password you use on any site on the web) is a pain, but is best practice. Check out Mactalk's review of 1Password (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/03/15/storing-and-syncing-your-private-data-with-1password/) for my (and others) recommended software for password control.

Oh... and the other thing, make sure you always log-out of any public computers and shut down the programs you've been using. The easiest hacking is done when someone leaves themselves logged in to something on a computer accessed elsewhere... like facebook on a PC at the library, work or school.