PDA

View Full Version : Migration Assistant OSX 10.6 Troubles

BowieNIN
6th May 2010, 07:54 AM
Hi Guy's,

I got a new 27" imac from the refurb store, and last night turned it on and connected it too my macbook 13" and ran migration assistant from the startup screen. It said 4.5hrs to complete so left it over night.

This morning, it was frozen on the 24mins left when copying data from hard drive.

I've tried googling and apple support pages but not sure what the next action is. One page said to restart the older machine - which i did in target disk mode, but the new Imac is still in the same state, saying 24mins to complete?

Macbook is running latest version of snow lepard, and i did software update before running migration assistant.

Any ideas on how to progress...

Thanks

Steeley
6th May 2010, 09:20 AM
I had the same problem running the migration assistant during the setup phase of 10.6. In the end I let 10.6 install without migrating, then ran the migration wizard from the desktop itself. Took all of 30 minutes to complete.

Dunno what the issue was.

BowieNIN
6th May 2010, 03:23 PM
So what should i do now... turn off the mac and restart it?? Will it boot up or start the installation again??

Thanks

GlossyMac
6th May 2010, 07:43 PM
I'd turn it off and restart it. Are you doing this via Firewire or Ethernet? Using Firewire was the solution to a very similar problem I had.
Keep us posted!
-GlossyMac

BowieNIN
7th May 2010, 12:21 PM
Well, hasn't turned out good so far. rang applecare. The only thing we could do was reset the imac, startup again. This went to the instal screen. Had to go through install and create a new account etc. Then run migration assistant from the new account on the desktop.

Problem is - i have now run migration assistant in the desktop - replacing the other half done user profile, and it has hit the same error again, freezing with 24 mins left to go.

Gotta call apple care again tonight.... not so seemless huh...

euphospug
7th May 2010, 01:53 PM
leave it for a while.

I migrated my G5 tower to new MBP, and it was stuck on 1 minute for about half an hour. it finally did it, but took a total of about 14 hrs (350gigs worth).

Maybe leave it for a day...