PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Not There.

drivesafe
5th September 2005, 06:40 AM
Hi folks, I have 2 iPods and last year I downloaded the latest upgrade and installed it into both iPods as recommended by Apple.

Both then would not communicate with any of the 5 Macs we have.

One iPod had music on it and all the music was still available in iTunes on one of the macs and after a restore, the iPod was back in business.

The problem is with the second iPod. This one is full of digital pictures so a restore is out of the question.

I have followed the postings here and elsewhere but I am yet to see a means for getting the iPod working again. I can still load pics to ipod just canít retrieve them. Only found the problem after installing the update, loading a few hundred pics on the iPod while on holidays and only when I went to transfer the pics to the mac on returning from the holiday, did I find a problem.

Short of putting the iPod in to have the hard drive copied, is there any ideas.

Cheers.

GimliNZ
5th September 2005, 10:43 AM
So does the iPod mount as an external drive?

If so, try a cmd+F to find the photos.
Set the parameters to: Visibility=Visible Items

I've just done this and it shows all my photos, then just drag them into a folder on your desktop.

Of course if it doesn't mount as an external hard drive, then life may be a bit more difficult!

richbowen
5th September 2005, 02:11 PM
You talk about a restore. Did you try a reset? A reset will not delete your photos.

drivesafe
5th September 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi GimliNZ and richbowen thanks for your replies, there is no communications what so ever between the iPod 9 20G ) and any of the Macs we have and as posted, this was exactly the same with the first iPod ( 40G ).

Neither responded to a reset and only after doing a restore did I manage to get the first iPod ( 40G ) back into use.

As a restore will erase the contents of the iPod, I canít do that.

I took it back to DJs where we bought it but the Apple rep said, after having it for a week, that the root tree was not functioning.

Have no idea what that means but he couldnít fix it and so here I am now 10 months later and no help from Apple even though it was there doing in the first place.

I know from all the postings here and elsewhere at this is an ongoing problem but Apple seam more intent in putting their head in the sand than fixing the problem.

Anyway thatís my bitch, but I have posted this in the hope that someone out there has come up with a solution to this problem that will not destroy the contents of the iPod.

Cheers.