PDA

View Full Version : New Magsafe Adaptor work with older Macbook Pro?

paulharrop
5th May 2010, 08:44 PM
Hi All

I have a late 2006 2.33GHZ Macbook Pro. Will the newest magsafe adaptor work with that machine or will I have to buy the older less reliable style?

thanks

Paul

Seakip
5th May 2010, 08:50 PM
Yes as it's the same voltage; not sure about the Air though (as it's 50W compared to 70W).

GlossyMac
6th May 2010, 12:05 AM
This new MagSafe will work fine with your MacBook Pro. It's the exact same voltage, just with a better design!
-GlossyMac

resonance
6th May 2010, 12:36 AM
All Magsafes work to a certain degree with all Macbooks (Air/Pro and the such)

The MBP Magsafes will charge anything
The Macbook ones (Older ones I know for sure, not sure on the Wattage of the unibodies) will work with airs and MBs, It'll charge MBP's as long as your not using intensive stuff, and will charge slower.

And the Air adaptors have the same caveat as the Macbook adaptors for all lappys.

At least that's what i've experienced.

BiRDBRAiN
6th May 2010, 07:43 AM
I bought a new one for my white C2D Macbook over the weekend.

Works great.

You just need to make sure you get the correct wattage.

85watt = 15" and 17" MBP
60watt = 13" MBP and Macbook
45watt = Air

dche5390
29th May 2010, 11:56 AM
I really loath the new magsafe design with the current batch of MBPs. Why must it attach laterally? Argh. Basically no hardcase is ever going to work now. Bah!

DeKa
29th May 2010, 12:32 PM
You just need to make sure you get the correct wattage.

85watt = 15" and 17" MBP
60watt = 13" MBP and Macbook
45watt = Air

As long as the wattage is greater than your laptop requires, it will work perfectly.. ie you can use a 15" / 85 watt model on a 13" or Macbook Air, but you cannot use a Macbook Air charger on a 15" or 17" MBP.

Devices don't draw more current than they require (unless something is wrong!) - the important thing is the voltage is correct.

jok3r
29th May 2010, 06:21 PM
I really loath the new magsafe design with the current batch of MBPs. Why must it attach laterally? Argh. Basically no hardcase is ever going to work now. Bah!

I love it, I always tend to knock out the older one when it was on my "lap"
Loved it on my MBA love it in my MBP

gehenna
29th May 2010, 06:27 PM

The MBP's are made out of solid aluminium. There's no need for a hard case at all, other than to completely spoil the aesthetic of the laptop. Other than that, a hardcase offers no protection that the chassis itself doesn't already provide.

The new MagSafe was designed to alleviate a lot of the problems experienced with the older MagSafe, whereby the rubber would split and expose shielding. That was a common problem, and I find (having both old and new power supplies) that the new MagSafe is a lot stronger while also proving better for actual lap use because it is a lot tighter to the chassis and doesn't get knocked out by my knees.

jok3r
29th May 2010, 06:58 PM
The MBP's are made out of solid aluminium. There's no need for a hard case at all,

While i dont personally use hardcase or use any sort of protection on my MBP, i have noticed they can dent a lot easier compared to the material Sony & Lenovo uses on there laptop.

Edit...sorry a little offtopic :p

gehenna
29th May 2010, 07:00 PM
While i dont personally use hardcase or use any sort of protection on my MBP, i have noticed they can dent a lot easier compared to the material Sony & Lenovo uses on there laptop.

Edit...sorry a little offtopic :p

I think if there's an impact hard enough to dent the aluminium, that a plastic hard case won't matter that much. The only other material I've seen laptops made out of is plastic, and magnesium alloy...both of which are nowhere near as good as the aluminium unibody design for strength. That's not to say there's not a stronger material being used somewhere.

jok3r
29th May 2010, 07:12 PM
Well my girlfriend accidentally dropped her TV remote onto her MBP and the corner of the remote hit her MBP and the consequence of it is now a small dent (unnoticeable unless you point it out)
But if that was the case of a plastic/magnesium laptop nothing would of happened.

I agree, the aluminum unibody strength is overall greater, but its the smaller impact that can really hurt it.