PDA

View Full Version : VLC for iPhone?

semaja2
5th May 2010, 08:39 PM
I am really curious as to what stops VLC from being a App Store compatible application for the iPhone OS?

The iPhone OS now has document sharing which would allow you to put the media on the device, and VLC is coded in C is it not which is allowed by the SDK agreement?

Tiprya
5th May 2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, would like to know this as well - If I could drop unencoded movies on the ipad and just deal with it taking more processing power (and hence battery) to decode, it would be sweet.

lavo
5th May 2010, 10:52 PM
Because it would be in direct competition with the built in media player, is what I'm guessing.

Razer
5th May 2010, 11:15 PM
Some armchair punditry.

Apple want people to use the iPad to download (and pay for) content from iTunes and also a platform for apps for streaming content through applications like the soon to be released Hulu app. I'm guessing the media content owners would look at the iPhone/iPod/iPod Touch in a much better light when it is a locked down device that doesn't allow swiss army video player applications to play unlicensed content. It's the price we pay to use such wonderfully designed hardware and software. Is it a price too high? I don't think so. I did see an applications on here today that allows you to stream any content from a home server :) Solves the problem!

Rust
6th May 2010, 12:17 AM
Air video ftw :)