PDA

View Full Version : Changing the default Save location

Botox
5th May 2010, 05:59 PM
Hi all.
Just trying to find out if it's possible to change the default save location.
We are using a Mac Mini Server in our school which has student home directories. When the kids save, it wants to save locally, not to the student's network share. Obviously, they can navigate to the right location with a bit of instruction, but with the Junior Primaries it would be easier for everyone if their files just went to their network share by default.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Gio
5th May 2010, 07:13 PM
Yes,
This is done at the app level. Some apps just remember the last location if no default location is available. Before I create an image for rollout I open every app that has no default and save a file on the student share to ensure it will go back to that default location.
Also I drag the network share into the sidebar and show students that the "student" share is always at the top under devices. This seems to be the most effective. If the share is not in devices then they need to connect to server first.

alextrob
5th May 2010, 08:41 PM
There's something called Default Folder X (http://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/). At about $40, it's pretty expensive for what you need it for though.