PDA

View Full Version : Who willing to wait abit longer to order the new mbp?



ChanHoNam
5th May 2010, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone, i have been in and out from this forum and MR. I want to get the new 2010 mbp but still want to wait abit longer coz i dont want to jump the boat. I am actually from Melbourne

I know what people will say "Why wait for?" As far as i am concerned electronics normally have abit of glitch?!? and i have heard some ppl said they rather wait unlease 6months beforehand. Maybe first batch will have some issues (so far i have seen afew with yellow tinted screen with AG, and heating and battery incorrectly reading). But most of the people would say, buy now, everything has to do with software and firmware update. Once apple know the issue they will rectify the problem with new software.

Don't get me wrong here, i have encourage members of my family buying macbook and mbp.

Any suggestions?

theov
5th May 2010, 05:54 PM
This isn't a major new design it is not a rev a product. it is a specifically designed and engineered and is not likely going to have any issues any more than any other product would. software and firmware updates will fix any smaller issues, if something is seriously major then there should be a recall or a product replacement program or similar. the product has just been updated so if you're in the market you're getting value for money now with the australian dollar so good and having the newest technology. if you buy 6 months down the track and another update is released a further 3 months after that you would probably be disappointed that you dont have the latest greateast. so my suggestions is to go out and buy one now.

theov

dathnoth
5th May 2010, 06:09 PM
It is best to wait 14 - 18 months after a new processor has been introduced into any Apple product where it be a MBP, iMac or Mac Mini.

Speed bumps in processors are probably they biggest cause of hardware, firmware and software malfunctions and shouldn't be taken seriously for at least 12 months.

I have bought a cheap netbook for HP to use while I wait for the new processors to settle into the Apple product line.

Geoff3DMN
5th May 2010, 06:15 PM
The other issue is that the Australian dollar is currently trending downwards so if there is a minor update (speed bump for example) then the rev b product will almost certainly be more expensive.

OTOH at the moment the MacBook Pro prices are as good as they have ever been.

MissionMan
5th May 2010, 07:00 PM
Only benefit of waiting is for the 10% of that happen at places like Myers or Dick Smith. They don't normally happen if the product is just released but after the initial sales die down you can save yourself by waiting.

Last time I bought via Myers on a 10% off special and I got an additional $100 or so in points so I can usually get some small extra on top of the 10% off a couple of months later when they issue their vouchers.

thats awesome
5th May 2010, 08:18 PM
Which model were you looking to buy?

If it's the 15" or 17" models, I too would say buy now. However if it's the 13" model I would say wait until the next cycle and keep your fingers crossed for the i3 chip.

As far as 'glitches' and other software/hardware problems, you can be sure that if it's a serious issue Apple will replace it within the warranty period (12 months standard, can be continued for another 24 months through AppleCare).

Hope that helps =)

basseyy
5th May 2010, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=dathnoth]It is best to wait 14 - 18 months after a new processor has been introduced into any Apple product where it be a MBP, iMac or Mac Mini.

no offence, but if you followed that logic, you'd never end up buying a mac, ever because there will always be an update 'around the corner'

Seakip
5th May 2010, 08:53 PM
Get AppleCare, if anything happens; new Mac.

dathnoth
5th May 2010, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=dathnoth]It is best to wait 14 - 18 months after a new processor has been introduced into any Apple product where it be a MBP, iMac or Mac Mini.

no offence, but if you followed that logic, you'd never end up buying a mac, ever because there will always be an update 'around the corner'

Tounge N Cheek.

I don't understand why people put off buying a computer in hope they get the next best revolution around the corner.
If you need it, Buy it. If you wait your only missing out.

NILcorp
5th May 2010, 10:34 PM
I don't understand why people put off buying a computer in hope they get the next best revolution around the corner.
If you need it, Buy it. If you wait your only missing out.

That's the same concept I follow!