PDA

View Full Version : Phone line networking

p996911turbo
22nd July 2004, 01:59 PM
I have a Performa 580CD and an iMac G3 500 sitting here. They both have an internal modem that neither of them use for the internet. Is there a way I can create a network between my iMac and the Performa with just a phone cable? Kind of like a two-computer hubless ethernet set up but with modems and a phone cable?

hawker
22nd July 2004, 02:08 PM
No I don't think you can. Someone (more technical than I) explained to me the differences between a modem port and an ethernet port. Although, in reality I bet someone has asked that question before, and possible done something about it.

Maybe their is a third party product/idea out there that can help? Although mind you, I think in reality anyone who did think in this way would be lazy and just buy network cards, if they could.

p996911turbo
22nd July 2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Jul 22 2004, 02:08 PM
No I don't think you can. Someone (more technical than I) explained to me the differences between a modem port and an ethernet port. Although, in reality I bet someone has asked that question before, and possible done something about it.

Maybe their is a third party product/idea out there that can help? Although mind you, I think in reality anyone who did think in this way would be lazy and just buy network cards, if they could.
Yeah, so far I've found nothing that seems to want to let me but I still hold a dim hope.

As for buying a network card, I considered pulling the Realtek 8139a that I just bought out of the of the 5500/250 and chucking it in, but when I opened up the back to expose ye olde logic boarde I couldn't see a PCI slot in the 580CD. Hmmm... no network card for me.

hawker
22nd July 2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by p996911turbo@Jul 22 2004, 02:12 PM
to expose ye olde logic boarde I couldn't see a PCI slot in the 580CD. Hmmm... no network card for me.
Hmm, that will set you back... Oh well keep searching, maybe someone else on the boards has some ideas?

internet
22nd July 2004, 10:12 PM
sorry, only way to network is network cables (cat 5-6) or wireless
if it has no pci slots i presume it's got the older style (ISA? my memory has gone blank..) which you can still pick up a slot from

realtek RTL8139 will do nicely

internet
22nd July 2004, 10:14 PM
sorry i'll give you the facts on the modem thing.

modems dial up and talk to other modems, if they are on seperate phone lines, i'm sure you could run a dial up server on one, like RADIUS+ on UNIX and dial up to it, but it's going to cost you each time you connect!

do it properly and you'll get 100-200x better speeds and only a one off cost, will be an untold amount easier as well!

Squozen
22nd July 2004, 10:49 PM
The old Apple standard was Nubus. :)

Hrmm. The old Performa should have a Localtalk port, maybe you could get a USB-to-Localtalk adapter and do it that way?

Other options: The Performa has a comms slot inside for some kind of network card, perhaps you can find the matching card on ebay? You could try a USB-to-serial interface on the iMac and create a crossover serial connection (which will seriously suck).

My advice: Give the Performa to the needy and get another iMac.

Currawong
23rd July 2004, 09:23 AM
Ok, to answer your question, you can share files between them using a printer cable, or better still, a localtalk cable, which will give you a maximum speed of 230kbits/second.

There used to be a product called Phone Net, which used the serial ports. It had adaptors which allowed phone cable to be used as serial connection cable. You could fully network with this, but I think it used AppleShareIP or something along those lines, which is now very redundant.

With the 580, you need the LC PDS Ethernet card. It's a right-angled NUBUS network card that worked in the LC series. I think Microseconds will charge you $25 for one (a rip off if they still do, but all the same...) though you might be able to pick one up from someone for $5 or something, if you're lucky.

Macs never used ISA slots, just for the record ;)

Cam
23rd July 2004, 09:36 AM
You could if you had a mini PABX ;)

p996911turbo
24th July 2004, 12:45 AM
My advice: Give the Performa to the needy and get another iMac.

Trust me, this is not a long term solution, there's no way that performa stays on my desk for more than a month!

Ok, to answer your question, you can share files between them using a printer cable, or better still, a localtalk cable, which will give you a maximum speed of 230kbits/second.

Bit hard plugging in the iMac end...

With the 580, you need the LC PDS Ethernet card. It's a right-angled NUBUS network card that worked in the LC series. I think Microseconds will charge you $25 for one (a rip off if they still do, but all the same...) though you might be able to pick one up from someone for $5 or something, if you're lucky.

Not important enough for that level of effort but that's for the tip!

You could if you had a mini PABX

How odd you should mention that, I do actually have one. My house has 3 points connected to the office set up.

Currawong
24th July 2004, 09:44 AM
My apologies, when I first read your post, I didn't see the "iMac" bit, only the G3. I should pay more attention to what I'm reading! ;)

pipsqeek
25th July 2004, 02:10 PM
You can connect two computers via the modem ports.

It involves mucking around but simple electronics. using two transformers ($10) at Jaycar or somewhere.

I did a file transfer years ago from my LCII to my Performa. Using the printer/data port, as someone has mentioned already.

If you want to know more about the modem port/transformer story. look for the latest Silicon Chip magazine, which contains an article on the subject.

But be quick, a new issue is due in a day or two. But I am sure you could order a copy from them, http://www.siliconchip.com.au

Steve

Cam
28th July 2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by p996911turbo@Jul 24 2004, 12:45 AM
How odd you should mention that, I do actually have one. My house has 3 points connected to the office set up.
Hook both modems up to your internal phone network. Set one up to accept connections somehow (easy to do on windows, not sure on mac). Then dial the others extension. Phones hooked up to that extension should ring then the modem should detect signal pick up and do its usual stuff!

Not sure what speeds you will get.. Havent tried this.. But the theory is all practical.

Easy!

pipsqeek
28th July 2004, 10:43 AM
I thought you meant directly connecting them together.

Through the PABX system, yeah, that can be done by dialing one modems specific number. and getting the other to pic up the call. Like a fax machine.

The maximum speed will be the maximum of the slowest modem, I would imagine.

Steve

p996911turbo
28th July 2004, 03:33 PM
I'm going to make it my mission to complete this! Does any one know how to get either OS10.3.4 or OS 7.5 to answer the modem?

the_argon
28th July 2004, 06:29 PM
do a google for mgetty OS X - that should lead you in the right direction