PDA

View Full Version : New Telstra 3G / Next G browsing packs.

Geoff3DMN
4th May 2010, 06:27 AM
Telstra have bumped included data and or reduced prices across the range for this product.

It makes owning an iPhone on the Telstra network considerably more competitive.

What I'm not sure of is if we are migrated across or if we have to ring up to change? Anybody know?

Telstra revamps data browsing pack prices - Telco/ISP - Technology - News - iTnews.com.au (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/173616,telstra-revamps-data-browsing-pack-prices.aspx)

3G and Next G Browsing Packs - Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/browsing_packs.html)

glitch
4th May 2010, 07:35 AM
I see the thieves at Tel$tra havent reduced the cost of data packs for prepaid customers though.

bennyling
4th May 2010, 08:14 AM
What I'm not sure of is if we are migrated across or if we have to ring up to change? Anybody know?

You can change online (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/browsing_packs.html), or you can ring up.

You're not migrated automatically, AFAIK.

mitty
4th May 2010, 08:33 AM
You definitely need to ring, or do it online (you aren't automatically upgraded from the 150 to the 200 for example, even though they are the same price). It took me five minutes yesterday, just ring 125111, saying "Mobile data browsing packs", put in your number. You'll get a consultant, the only thing is some of them don't yet know about the plans but they'll find it eventually. Check your Mobile Data Usage Meter to confirm you're on the new pack of your choice.

tcn33
4th May 2010, 08:38 AM
I see the thieves at Tel$tra havent reduced the cost of data packs for prepaid customers though.

The postpaid browsing packs page mentions that the prepaid data packs range from 20MB to 4GB, which doesn't fit the current offerings (they're 5MB to 750MB). So new ones are probably coming.

bennyling
4th May 2010, 08:42 AM
Check your Mobile Data Usage Meter to confirm you're on the new pack of your choice.

Wait, the change is instantaneous?

chrism238
4th May 2010, 08:48 AM
Does that really state 25c/MB for excess data? Ouch!

mitty
4th May 2010, 08:54 AM
Wait, the change is instantaneous?

It was for me. I checked the moment I got off the phone and the new limit showed on the MDUM you can access through the bigpond iphone portal.

If yours isn't showing up, ring em back.

benerrol
4th May 2010, 10:14 AM
amazing, thanks for the heads up, without this i probably wouldn't have even noticed!

Lutze
4th May 2010, 11:18 AM
Does that really state 25c/MB for excess data? Ouch!

Try international roaming... $15/mb

Geoff3DMN
4th May 2010, 08:52 PM

They haven't reduced them for customers who are out of contract or on casual plans either, I was told I couldn't access these prices when I rang up today without going onto another contract.

DJY
4th May 2010, 09:36 PM
Once again a very disappointing Telstra customer service experience...

Tried today...
had to ring three times...
was diverted by the computer to one department - who then proceeded to transfer me via four others - each time speaking to someone...
to only be told it couldn't be done for my USB modem?!?!?!

Oh yes I was enquiring for my USB modem - just to move from $59 for 1 Gb to $39 for 1 GB.

First guy said he could give me 3GB and I get a upgraded 21 speed modem.. only if I signed up for a 2 yr plan?!?!?
three more transfers later - I get told SUB modems / casual member arrangements couldn't get the new browsing pack deals.

Between the whole Bigpond wireless broadband vs Telstra wireless...
2 yr plans vs casual member arrangements...
sigh

When I then asked about my iPhone browsing pack - to change - well that was his department either - so I gave up and hung up.

inedibleshoe
5th May 2010, 12:25 AM
Try international roaming... $15/mb

I got a letter from Telstra yesterday.
1. Int. Rates are changing from 15 June.
'This means your call charges will no longer vary based on the overseas carrier used in that country.'
2. Many int call rates are increasing, some are decreasing.
3. Int. SMS texts are now 75c for all countries.
4. Two new Data Packs from 19 May.
'...you can choose from two new data packs that give you discounted data in 15 popular overseas destinations.'

In a dispute over int. data usage one Telstra rep admitted they couldn't really confirm how much I used.

My own switch from 300MB to 500MB took 15 minutes and was painless. There was also a friendly reminder my contract was going to expire soon. Yay Telstra.

svale
9th May 2010, 01:41 AM
Something hopeful for us prepaid users. I just noticed this line from Telstra's latest blog post: "Look out for some good news on the data front later this month."

It's difficult to say whether she's referring to data for 1c Text+ customers, or general updates to pre-paid data packs.

BONUS Text now available for 1c text+ offer customers | Telstra Exchange (http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2010/05/07/bonus-text-now-available-for-1c-text-offer-customers/)

melbmac
9th May 2010, 08:56 AM
Just rang them up to upgrade but the call centre is shut today (fair enough).

Does anyone know where to change it on the intermanet, have logged into my telstra portal thingy but can't see it anywhere?

Sure it's just me missing something obvious this early on a Sunday.

bennyling
9th May 2010, 09:29 AM
Just rang them up to upgrade but the call centre is shut today (fair enough).

Does anyone know where to change it on the intermanet, have logged into my telstra portal thingy but can't see it anywhere?

Sure it's just me missing something obvious this early on a Sunday.

You can change online (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/browsing_packs.html), or you can ring up.

You're not migrated automatically, AFAIK.

Yep, just you. ;)

Aladdin
9th May 2010, 09:36 AM
Just be aware that when you change your browsing pack, it's done like this:

1. Old browsing pack cancelled (charged at pro-rata cost, but you only get pro-rata data allowance).

2. New browsing pack installed (charged at pro-rata cost for the rest of the billing month, with the appropriate pro-rata data allowance).

3. Any pro-rata data allowance still available on your old pack is lost on the date you changed over to the new pack, and vice versa.

So, if your usage pattern is rather variable, you may still get slugged excess data charges for the current billing month.

gtext
9th May 2010, 11:27 AM
They haven't reduced them for customers who are out of contract or on casual plans either, I was told I couldn't access these prices when I rang up today without going onto another contract.

It would be interesting to cancel a current data pack. Then ring back and ask for a data pack to be added to your account. What list would be used for the new data pack as I can only see the new price list on telstra.com not the old pricing.
What price list are they using for pre-paid or casual?

IitachiI
8th June 2010, 10:11 PM

All data pack prices are updated regardless if you are out of contract or on a casual plan, this also applies whether your account with Telstra is on the "Legacy system" or the "Seibel/kenan" system. Try giving Telstra a call again to get it put on. For anyone wanting to know the updated list here it is.

|Browsing Packs| |Data| |Excess Usage Charges|
----------------------------------------------------------------------
$5 Browsing Pack 30MB $0.25 per MB
$10 Browsing Pack 200MB $0.25 per MB
$20 Browsing Pack 500MB $0.25 per MB
$39 Browsing Pack 1GB $0.25 per MB
$49 Browsing Pack 3GB $0.15 per MB
$79 Browsing Pack 6GB $0.10 per MB
$99 Browsing Pack 9GB $0.05 per MB

DJY
10th June 2010, 01:06 AM
I was told all these new deals were only when add ons to voice plan / phone.
Despite one guys best effort he couldn't get the system to upgrade my USB modem casual plan (old price $59 for 1 Gb).

The best he could do as I am on the new system, was start me off on a new casual plan ($0 plan for calls) and $39 for 1 Gb data.
I did that the same day I grabbed my iPad micro SIM so cost neutral for me!

melbmac
10th June 2010, 06:49 PM
Yep, just you. ;)

LOL

Saw that, can't find in there where to do it, sure I'm just missing something...

Anyway, all changed, the phone call was not too painful...