PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing and replacing a faulty DC-in board?

Charla
3rd May 2010, 07:58 PM
Hi all -

Just want to know whether I'm on the right track... My G4 iBook doesn't seem to be getting any power from my adapter - I've double checked this with a friend's adapter and also used their iBook to check that my battery is working okay (which it seems to be.

My thought is to buy a DC-in board and have a go at replacing it myself. I have never opened up my iBook, but have everything backed up and considering the age of it, I'm willing to have a go.

So my questions are - does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? Or is there something else I should check? And while I have my battery charged for another couple of hours, is there any information or tests I should get from the iBook while I can?

Thanks everyone, I love this forum!

Charla
:D

Byrd
3rd May 2010, 08:24 PM
Yes, I think you've done some good troubleshooting to rule out the power brick and/or battery, so the next culprit should be the DC board. I would however reset the power manager, just as a formality:

Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1431)

Does your iBook work fine using the charged battery?

Pulling apart an iBook isn't much fun, but note where each screw came from, and use a plastic kitchen spatula to "crack" open the underside of the case. Once the RF metal shield is removed, you can get to the DC board easily enough.

Good luck

JB

Charla
3rd May 2010, 08:38 PM
Ta heaps JB. I'll do the power reset thing as suggested. And yep, the iBook works fine with a fully charged battery. Dear old thing.

I've had a look through the iFixIt guide and while it does look daunting, it does look possible. Thanks for your advice.

:)

lord
3rd May 2010, 09:19 PM
Its not impossible, just when doing it don't get flustered! Just work around, it does help starting around the area of the battery where the plastic is thinner.

If you go down this route, good luck!