PDA

View Full Version : Updating Tiger Help

cheryltopsy
4th September 2005, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I am hoping for advise re updating to tiger from 10.3.9. I am happy with current OS, but like many, curious to update to the latest. I purchased a tiger upgrade disc.
Should I clone my current HD? Is this different to archive & install?
I bought a 200GB ext to back up all my OS, so can I clone & put tiger on ext HD & leave my Panther as is on my eMac?
I hope someone can advise a best method. I am a novice re all this techincal stuff, but reading through various forums has provoked some anxiety & I don't want to end up like the curious cat & stuff up my current OS.
Thanks,
Cheryltopsy.
(31/10/05)

emacmark
4th September 2005, 01:25 PM
If you connect your mac to ISDN via NT1+2 modem, dont upgrade all the way to 10.4.2. It breaks ISDN. Stop at 10.4.1
Mark

edit: On re reading your post, you dont seem too much of a novice. I would copy using carbon copy (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) my old OS to the external drive and start with a clean instal of 10.4 if your given that choice with the upgrade disk. Thats what I prefer to do.

Byrd
4th September 2005, 01:33 PM
Hi cheryltopsy,

As with upgrading any machine to a new operating system, it's best to backup your essential files just to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I've not had problems with an archive and install when upgrading to Tiger from 10.3.9 - basically this retains all your settings, Home folder, users and applications.

Upgrade to 10.4.2 as well :)

JB

Currawong
4th September 2005, 01:56 PM
10.3.9 is a very stable OS. 10.4 is somewhat more buggy - mainly you'll have to make sure you have the latest version of everything, especially anything that modifies the general functionality of the system, such as haxies.

Your methodology is sound. Clone your main HD using Carbon Copy Cloner and "Archive Install" 10.4. Archive installing is an option in the install process you'll find under the "Options..." button that appears only after you've selected which drive to install on.

Something which is going to cause you a small headache in the above process - you can't clone a hard drive you are already booted from. You'll likely have to partition your new HD so that you can install 10.3 or 10.4 onto one partition to boot from so you can clone your main HD to the other partition.

Then again, you could just take the brave option I did and just install and pray it doesn't break anything, like your ISDN connection ;)

AusMac
4th September 2005, 02:40 PM
Archive and install worked fine for me coming from 10.3.8 to 10.4.
There were the odd things I had to fix but having the archive helped.
There were several things which had to be updated to be compatible with 10.4 and I simply had to reinstall other things. Not a big hassle really. A good exercise(refresher course) in managing apps and system etc.

mickhoog
4th September 2005, 05:09 PM
When upgrading to Tiger from Panther if you wipe your hard drive and do a clean install of Tiger, you will lose applications which are available as addons under Tiger such as iphoto. If you do this as an upgrade, you will keep iphoto. This depends if you like iphoto though...

The upgrade is well worth it. I myself don't use iphoto, I just use finder.

Good luck

cheryltopsy
4th September 2005, 08:03 PM
Hi again.
Thanks for all your advice. I am not that familiar with tech side, that is why I love my Mac so much, makes it easy for a tech challenged me to enjoy my computer.
I also forgot to ask earlier, I have iLife 5, should I upgrade before I go up to tiger?
Thanks again for all your help,
Regards,
Cheryltopsy.

cheryltopsy
31st October 2005, 12:37 AM
Dear Forum,
I have finally partitioned my ext hard drive into two 100G. I then cloned my entire eMac HD to one partition. (did not realise this would take hours & hours!)
Now I need help!! I see that Currawong states I can't clone the HD I'm booted in.[I]
Do I now select & boot from fully cloned ext partition & then re-clone eMac HD to other empty partition? If so, can I either upgrade to Tiger on my new clone or original eMac HD?
I want to ensure as little a mess as possible in case Murphy's Law comes to bite me.
I shall opt for upgrade as my Tiger disc is only a drop in dvd.
Thanks for any advise,
Cheryltopsy.