PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt files, os x crashing - ideas?

jubilantjeremy
2nd May 2010, 01:49 PM
Hello,

A few weeks ago, my macbook started beachballing and generally acting up - usually the Finder seemed to crash, though sometimes also other apps like Word '04 also beachballed.
When this happened it was generally impossible to force-quit and I was basically left to do a hard restart (couldn't ssh in or anything).

I ran fsck which made a few modifications, but before I did anything else, I wanted to make a backup, so I popped my macbook into Target Disk Mode and used another macbook to back it up to a sparseimage using SuperDuper!.
Time Machine would not back up - I forget now, but I think it gave a generic error. TM reports that it last backed up about a week ago.

The SuperDuper! backup failed after about 50Gb, quoting:

| 02:34:35 AM | Info | Error copying /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/jeremy/Pictures/iPhoto Library/.ipspot_update to /Volumes/macbook-1-05-10.dmg.sparseimage/Users/jeremy/Pictures/iPhoto Library/.ipspot_update of type 8 due to error 1
| 02:34:35 AM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/jeremy/Pictures/iPhoto Library/.ipspot_update to /Volumes/macbook-1-05-10.dmg.sparseimage
/Users/jeremy/Pictures/iPhoto Library/.ipspot_update of type 8 due to error 1\n: Input/output error
| 02:34:35 AM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=22 (Unknown error: 0)

What does this indicate?

I ran Diskwarrior's File checker thing to check for corrupt files, which identified this file (and only this) as corrupt :

~/library/preferences/com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist

Now I've trashed those two files and am attempting another image backup.

My question is does this indicate bad sectors, a failing disk, or what?
And what should I do? I'm prepared to image it onto another disk but what if this superduper backup fails too?

I suspect the corrupt files were caused by the unclean shutdowns, but its a bit of a chicken-or-egg scenario right now.

Cheers
Jeremy

icant
2nd May 2010, 01:57 PM
What I would do:

Transfer important files off computer through SuperDuper, or just Finder copy.

Reformat, reinstall OS and transfer files back.

Be prepared to replace internal HD if that is the problem.

jubilantjeremy
2nd May 2010, 01:59 PM
Superduper keeps pausing at the same spots, though the log says nothing (just copying ~/User/). So it's paused at 12.03Gb now, and has been for about ten minutes, though I expect it will start copying more soon.

jubilantjeremy
2nd May 2010, 02:02 PM
Transfer important files off computer through SuperDuper, or just Finder copy.

Reformat, reinstall OS and transfer files back.

Be prepared to replace internal HD if that is the problem.

Yes... I'm trying to use superduper but I guess 'the old way' is a good idea too.
I was hoping not to have to reinstall the OS. Replacing the drive is OK.

As a quick aside - does anyone know if it is possible to do a clean install (on a new disk) using the $39 snow leopard upgrade disc thing?

jubilantjeremy
2nd May 2010, 02:43 PM
Could this be caused by bad disk sectors, and is there any way to find out?