PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 15" Macbook Pro

penfold
1st May 2010, 08:35 PM
I have been listening to the podcast but I am a forum newbie. Big ups to the mactalk team!

I have wanted a 15" Macbook Pro for a few years and can finally afford one. It is going to replace my Linux desktop. I save room and I can take it with me.

Has anyone out there got one of the Hi-Res screen modules? What are they like, glossy or matte, recommendations? Unfortunately the apple stores don't display them.

i7 or i5 ? Are the i7's toasty?

What are the apple ssd's like? Worth the extra $$ ?

Seakip
1st May 2010, 09:53 PM
Hi-res, totally worth it. Matte is only really needed if you work outside or have a lot of light where you use it.

i7 if you actually need power and better graphics

SSDs... not exactly worth it as there is no trim support yet and it would be better to wait until Christmas and update then but if Apple release TRIM support, they might only support the SSD's they sell.

Regarding the toastyness, they only get uber hot when gaming (and you will be at a desk then) and when benchmarking (desk).

MissionMan
1st May 2010, 11:46 PM
Hi-res, totally worth it. Matte is only really needed if you work outside or have a lot of light where you use it.

i7 if you actually need power and better graphics

SSDs... not exactly worth it as there is no trim support yet and it would be better to wait until Christmas and update then but if Apple release TRIM support, they might only support the SSD's they sell.

Regarding the toastyness, they only get uber hot when gaming (and you will be at a desk then) and when benchmarking (desk).

Would disagree on the SSD. Its quite easy to trim the drive every six months if you need to with a simple backup and restore. Ask anyone currently running an SSD and they'll tell you they would battle to go back to non-SSD again.

Would also disagree on matt vs glossy. I have a glossy 15" Macbook Pro and a non-glossy matt 17". I don't work outside, but the matt shits all over the non-matt for usability and quality. Spend a month using each and then tell me what your thoughts are. Every time I go to using the 15" I can't wait to get back to my matt machine.

penfold
3rd May 2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the input. I will not be playing any games.

I will mainly be using the macbook pro for ...

VMWare Linux and XP
Aperture
X11
Terminal Access
MS Remote Desktop Access
Internet/Email/iTunes etc

Cheers,

Daniel