PDA

View Full Version : Difference between purple and blue folders in mail

ba2991
1st May 2010, 11:13 AM
Hi all Can someone tell me the difference between the burble smart mail folders and blue folders in mail. I have individually setup the blue folders so when I receive an email it go into the blue folder works well. playing around with a new email arrived yesterday I noticed that I can create a smart mailbox by double click the senders email and tell it to create smart mailbox witch creates a burble folder under - On My Mac.

Cheers

Bogus Jimmy
1st May 2010, 11:42 AM
As you said, a purple folder is a Smart Folder. It's a virtual folder that will update automatically based on the criteria of the folder (e.g. all mail from Jim with an attachment). The emails aren't moved into Smart Folders, it's just a way to view/filter your mail (mail can be in many Smart Folders depending on the criteria set).

Some more info here (although this is technically in relation to Finder, the principal is the same)

Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Organizing related files with Smart Folders (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2152.html)

Blue folders are just normal folders. Move emails into them and that's where they go.

ba2991
1st May 2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks, very helpful