PDA

View Full Version : Need to retreive data off iPhone

iPath
1st May 2010, 09:50 AM
My friend has an old powerbook G4 and the hard drive died in it two weeks ago. His iphone was synced to this machine and since the new hard drive has been put in he can not get anything off the phone (thanks apple!).

All of his photos are on the phone and he would love to be able to load them back onto the computer, apparently there is an application for the mac that can be used to access the phone on a machine that is not synced with that phone?

Does anyone know what it is or how to do this?

iPirate
1st May 2010, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the photos on the phone aren't the originals but re-sized ones tuned to the iPhone's screen size etc. Even then there might be a way to get those off involving at this rate a windows app on a windows machine (google isn't being very helpful for me today).

As a last resort I wonder if the freezer trick works on laptop hard drives -> recover the original data off that.

P.S. tell your friend to try not to move the laptop too much when the hard drive is spinning (i.e. the computer isn't sleeping or off) or the hard drive will wear out a lot quicker -> or get them to use Time Machine.

iPath
1st May 2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks mate, He is now set up with silverkeeper and an external HDD but its too late now anyway.... Fingers crossed there is something out there. Anything is better then nothing!

funky79
1st May 2010, 09:21 PM
the software i used is called phoneview PhoneView for iPhone and iPad - iPhone Disk Mode, SMS, Voicemail, Call History, Music, Photos, Notes Access - Ecamm Network (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/)

iPath
2nd May 2010, 09:36 AM
Thankyou thankyou thankyou funky 79... This is perfect! He has just purchased and taken the photos off!

funky79
2nd May 2010, 10:18 AM
no probs mate, very cool app I got it so I can get stuff off the SMS

Richie Rich
2nd May 2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah I use it for the SMS stuff too. It is invaluable in easily being able to search across all your txts/pxts.

D_W_Y
2nd May 2010, 06:00 PM
there are plenty of programs that will rip the music off an iphone. when i bought my mac i used it to get my music over from my pc to my mac im not sure what program i used and alot of them cost money just keep googling till one proves useful.