PDA

View Full Version : So there's a ghost in my house

Steeley
30th April 2010, 10:33 PM
I'm going crazy. For a long time now in the silence of night I've heard voices - the kind that reminds me of a gathering around the table at tea. In particular I hear and old woman. Tonight I was watching Telly and the kettle in the kitchen turned on and started boiling. Freaky.

I was fine with the voices because I was like you do your thing and I'll do mine...but now it's a tad weird. Stop trying to scare me!

So I just needed to get that off my chest. You can't tell real people such things or you could end up in a straight jacket.

Cassy
30th April 2010, 10:40 PM
ok thanks for that.. now i'm scared :P

ford.boy
1st May 2010, 12:33 AM
Heh. Record them :)

(Unphased skeptic here)

Joey1983
1st May 2010, 12:46 AM
There's an App (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ghost-detector-pro/id356328497?mt=8) for that.

DomDom
1st May 2010, 07:58 AM
"For a long time now in the silence of night I've heard voices".... Not a good thing.

cosmichobo
1st May 2010, 08:16 AM
I notice that you hail from Brisbane. Did you know that Brisbane is the most haunted city in the southern hemisphere?

Where were you with your haunted house in 2006 when I was after a haunted house for my short film, "Beyond Sight"? ;)

A power surge may have set your kettle off... (unless you mean one of those old style ones you sit on the gas ring... and the kettle filled itself and sat itself on the gas ring and the gas turned on... that's freaky)

Don't be afraid... be moderately skeptic and partially insane.

nibbles
1st May 2010, 08:42 AM
how does a kettle turn it self on by a power surge? they need the button to be pushed it, my kettle does the occasional click sound and scares the crap out of me but i know what it is. hmmmm weird things happen, record the voices for us

euphospug
1st May 2010, 09:03 AM
for months at around 1am in the morning my TV would turn on 'click' and start to play for around 20secs. If I had left the amp on, I would hear the sound too.

turns out that my Samsung TV had a 'search for firmeware over the air' feature turned ON by default!.

Maybe your TV or your neighbours TV is doing the same thing... Not sure the kettle is though!

snark
1st May 2010, 09:22 AM
Tonight I was watching Telly and the kettle in the kitchen turned on and started boiling. Freaky.

Mice or other vermin in the kitchen? Pets?

The voices could just be the sleepless neighbours watching TV - sounds can carry further at night.

Jopher
1st May 2010, 10:23 AM
Remember if you're going to try and catch the ghosts - DO Not cross the streams.

Mychael
1st May 2010, 12:23 PM
Had a weird thing in a rented unit I lived in many years ago. Had one of those '80s style bedheads that had the clock radio fitted in them.

Most every night from around 10pm to past midnight the clock would act as if it was getting too much power, it clicked over 1 min every 55secs and if you pressed a time adjust button it would spin through the digits at twice normal speed. But oddly enough come morning the clock would still have had correct time.

It was so bad we got the power company to fit a recorder to our meter box as we thought that perhaps there was some sort of power surges occurring around those times. No testing every revealed how or why it was happening and we just in the end lived with it.

beckcollect
1st May 2010, 01:05 PM
A great opportunity to leave out any socks that need darning - put them near the kettle.

bullrout
1st May 2010, 01:20 PM
Probably extra terrestrials not ghosts.

Lachie
2nd May 2010, 03:15 PM
Had a weird thing in a rented unit I lived in many years ago. Had one of those '80s style bedheads that had the clock radio fitted in them.

Most every night from around 10pm to past midnight the clock would act as if it was getting too much power, it clicked over 1 min every 55secs and if you pressed a time adjust button it would spin through the digits at twice normal speed. But oddly enough come morning the clock would still have had correct time.

It was so bad we got the power company to fit a recorder to our meter box as we thought that perhaps there was some sort of power surges occurring around those times. No testing every revealed how or why it was happening and we just in the end lived with it.

This is caused by the power station's Alternator varying in speed slighty. Which is caused by the lower current drain on the system at night time.

You see most older clocks use the frequency of the AC supply to measure time, they assume that the supply is at exactly 50Hz (Hz is the number of times the supply switchs between the + and - fields every second). Our supply is 50hz, which mean that when the supply has swapped between + & - 50 times, one second has passed. When the current drain on the power station is low, (ie night time) it is likely that the alternator will spin slightly faster, thus increasing the Hz of the supply and in turn, make your clock count time faster. The same is true in reverse.

cosmichobo
2nd May 2010, 03:37 PM
Actually, I think the 1970's analogue clock radio in my pool room is haunted too... It never keeps the right time. (Just twice a day)

Mychael
2nd May 2010, 05:11 PM
This is caused by the power station's Alternator varying in speed slighty. Which is caused by the lower current drain on the system at night time.

You see most older clocks use the frequency of the AC supply to measure time, they assume that the supply is at exactly 50Hz (Hz is the number of times the supply switchs between the + and - fields every second). Our supply is 50hz, which mean that when the supply has swapped between + & - 50 times, one second has passed. When the current drain on the power station is low, (ie night time) it is likely that the alternator will spin slightly faster, thus increasing the Hz of the supply and in turn, make your clock count time faster. The same is true in reverse.

Now that is interesting so the test meter we had wired in would not have shown it? It was an older clock but still led display, not the mechanical flip over type.

Mychael
2nd May 2010, 05:13 PM
Actually, I think the 1970's analogue clock radio in my pool room is haunted too... It never keeps the right time. (Just twice a day)

Yep, a broken clock is clearly better then no clock at all as it'll be be precise twice a day and just a 'bit' slow or a 'bit' fast for the remainder of the time.

PrincessHayley_xo
2nd May 2010, 05:40 PM
Why hasn't a ghostbusters joke been made yet :(

Here goes nothing...

Who ya gonna call?

gehenna
2nd May 2010, 05:42 PM
Who ya gonna call?

K8E_zMLCRNg

cosmichobo
2nd May 2010, 07:02 PM
SCxQws3jyyA

Steeley
2nd May 2010, 07:06 PM
I woke up at 3am last night, the witching hour, and I felt it again. I think I've pissed it off. Ima gonna leave you alone now grandma...you do your thing and I'll do mine. Just put the toilet seat down.

cosmichobo
2nd May 2010, 07:10 PM
According to the bunch of old wives at Essential Baby (MacTalk for my fiancée), the kettle thing means it is the ghost of someone who liked a cup of tea...

Perhaps you should make them a cuppa before you go to bed. :)

snark
2nd May 2010, 10:58 PM

Hmmm, possible but unlikely. The supply authorities are obliged to keep the frequency within very strictly controlled limits, and install lots of expensive gear to do this. I don't think the network would EVER see something as drastic as an 8% increase, which is what would be needed to account for a minute on the clock clicking over in 55 sec.

A clock with a LED display would almost certainly use an oscillating crystal rather than mains frequency.

TheGoldenMean
2nd May 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm going crazy. For a long time now in the silence of night I've heard voices - the kind that reminds me of a gathering around the table at tea. In particular I hear and old woman. Tonight I was watching Telly and the kettle in the kitchen turned on and started boiling. Freaky.

I was fine with the voices because I was like you do your thing and I'll do mine...but now it's a tad weird. Stop trying to scare me!

So I just needed to get that off my chest. You can't tell real people such things or you could end up in a straight jacket.
"THEY FLOAT, THEY ALLLL FLOAT!"

kaisersozay
3rd May 2010, 10:12 AM
Try earplugs. If the voices do not go away - you have them inside your head. Seek professional help.
The kettle is not likely to be related to the voices. Paranoia is beginning. Be strong. Bang a tin garbage lid with a spanner. Stride around your place shouting, wearing a paper hat (they hate disguises). Mount a christian cross above your bed. NEVER NEVER watch Nicole Kidman (The Visitors?) or The Shining.

immyk
3rd May 2010, 02:15 PM
Perhaps you should make them a cuppa before you go to bed. :)

...and a sherry!

TheKeddi
3rd May 2010, 02:40 PM
Just go the whole hog, get a Ouija board and ask it who's making the noises??