PDA

View Full Version : Faulty 12" Ibook Power Adapter

sdien
2nd September 2005, 10:05 PM
hi all...
hope what i write here make sense and someone can help me....

i just realize that i am unable to start up my ibook...
although it was plug in to the adapter all day today, looks like the battery ran out of juice.

i believe the charger is faulty because:
1. the ibook refuse to startup when it is plug in and the battery is not attached... or even when the battery is inside
2. battery indicator only has 1 light on (if i push the test button)
3. when the power adapter is plug in, there is no "charging" indicator/ light movement on the battery...
4. the charger itself is cold, ususally it is warm to touch when plugged...

BUT,
there is still light at the contact point/plug between the cable and the ibook...

questions:
1... are these symptoms point out to a faulty adapter?
2... if it is faulty, can i just go to any applecenter and get it replaced? or, i need to go to the original place where i bought the ibook?
3... or maybe this is not even covered by apple warranty?

btw, its the new 12" ibook, with all the standard configuration...
with an extra 1GB RAM which was added yesterday by myself.

not really sure, but is there any probability that the ram upgrade is the cause of this problem?
B)

jobe
2nd September 2005, 11:25 PM
when my power adapter packed it in, it was getting exceedingly hot. Fire causingly hot. I still haven't replaced it yet because I tried it again a few hours later and it work. But alas, right now it's stopped again. I think I'll just have to take it in and get it replaced while it's still under warrenty.

applecollector
2nd September 2005, 11:45 PM
good idea!

sdien
4th September 2005, 12:00 AM
sometimes when you dug yourself into a hole, you need to crawl out of it yourself..

thinking what jobe wrote about his faulty power adapter, and mine does look like it is working fine...
so i did some search and found some suggestion to reset the ibook's PMU...

and now it is working great!
:D