PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Slowing Down

steven4556
29th April 2010, 12:10 AM
I purchased a MacBook Pro Unibody back in December of 2008--still running 10.5.8-- after using Windows PCs for many years. I have been very satisfied with my Mac experience so far but need a little advice on one subject. In the past few weeks my MacBook has begin to slow down a little; takes longer to wake up from sleep mode, longer to load from shut down and some applications are loading somewhat longer than before. Back when I was using Windows PCs I employed certain utilities such as CCleaner to delete cookies, temp files and a range of other things in order to maximize the computerís performance. I was wondering if there are similar Mac-compatible utilities that would serve the same function as those made for Windows PCs. I am a fairly elderly and not much of a techie and would appreciate any suggestions for utilities that are easy to use and not likely to foul things up or cause serious damage if I make a mistake in running them on my computer. Thanks in advance for any advice.

yinyang
29th April 2010, 02:27 AM
An excellent free utility is Onyx...

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html)

Cocktail is also very good, but it isn't free...

Maintain - Cocktail - Overview (http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php)

Both do pretty much the same thing....

Make sure you have enough space on your HD - OSX invariably "needs" about 10-15% free space otherwise you could start seeing issues, though I'm not saying that's what causing yours, more a general guideline.

basseyy
29th April 2010, 07:47 AM
here here for Onyx. I love this little(but powerful) utility.

Dam355
29th April 2010, 10:03 AM
Make sure you are doing your time machine backups. Then erase and reinstall the OS and migrate everything back from your time machine. That would speed up your machine to the day you bought it. Should do it every 2 or so years.

I am not sure how well these cleaners actually work, i think they all use some sort of black magic and make you feel better that you have run one and your computer must be faster knowing that.

Cheers.

steven4556
29th April 2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my question. I am afraid I am not yet competent (or confident) enought to try reinstalling the OS yet so I will try Onyx and see if that works for me. I appreciate those who read my question and took the time to offer suggestions.

gehenna
29th April 2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my question. I am afraid I am not yet competent (or confident) enought to try reinstalling the OS yet so I will try Onyx and see if that works for me. I appreciate those who read my question and took the time to offer suggestions.

Be careful with Onyx. Back up first.