PDA

View Full Version : WWDC '10 Announced - June 7-11

matthew858
28th April 2010, 10:25 PM
http://onemorething.com.au/imgdump/Apple_Worldwide_Developers_Conference_2010-20100428-223111.jpg

Apple has just officially announced WWDC, so pack your bags and get ready to head to San Francisco from June 7-11. Tickets are US$1,599, so make sure you have some cash left over from your iPad purchase! If you're a dev and like the look of your apps, submit them here (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/ada/). Have too much money and want to attend? Buy your tickets here (http://developer.apple.com/products/wwdc/). Have no idea what this is, and want to learn about it? Head here (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/experience/).

More info - Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/index.html)

NathR32
28th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Ohhhh yeah. My birthday is on the 6th. What a great present :) Love WWDC.

Buthidae
28th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Ahh good, they'll be able to resolve that bug! :tongue:

SilverJ
28th April 2010, 10:33 PM
I'd really like Apple to release the new iPhone on June 26 again.
That's my birthday, perfect.

jack112006
28th April 2010, 10:33 PM
Thats next to no notice. It will be interesting to see if they can still pull a full house for this. Most years, the early bird ticket sales would have been finished by now...

Kirium
28th April 2010, 10:34 PM
Centre of the app universe??

Is this the WWDC where Apple officially discontinue support for the real OS X?

Chief911
28th April 2010, 10:46 PM
So 'when' the 4th Gen iphone is announced at the keynote on the 7th, what day do we think the 4th Gen will be available?

19th again (for the US) feel's right!

decryption
28th April 2010, 10:48 PM
Really want to go to this one. Could be the last Stevenote I'll ever be able to see (Steve won't live forever!).
Anyone who has been to WWDC tips for actually getting inside the venue to see the show live, instead of being in a sperate room watching it on a TV?

matthew858
28th April 2010, 10:51 PM
Anyone who has been to WWDC tips for actually getting inside the venue to see the show live, instead of being in a sperate room watching it on a TV?

Although I haven't attended one myself, and this year won't be my first, I have this piece of advice taken from the Internet last year - camping out is everything. In the morning it is a race to get from your position in line, with pass in hand, to the keynote in the hall. Unlike normal Apple events though, the first person in line isn't there until about 5PM or 6PM the previous day. Considering that this keynote is just the welcoming, with the following day being lectures, hands on etc., every developer will eventually be in line for the keynote, you just have to beat them there.

iMic
28th April 2010, 11:51 PM
Calling in sick the morning after the keynote. :D I'm hoping to get a look at my new phone. ;)

On a sidenote, these banners look pretty awesome.

Azabu
28th April 2010, 11:56 PM
New Mac Pros.

stehsegler
28th April 2010, 11:58 PM
I have to agree with you... they basically announce their major dev conference less than 6 weeks out from it actually happening. Sorry to say but my work time is usually booked up well more than 2 months in advance.

I really wanted to go this year but can't make time such short lead times. I mean seriously... how hard can it be to set a date 12 months from now so people can actually plan for it?

DJY
29th April 2010, 12:16 AM
I hope to be in New York City 5 - 14 June...
I know WWDC isn't likely to release the new iPhone...
but mmmm if it is a USA only immediate release - I'll be heading back to the Glass Cube!

marc
29th April 2010, 01:21 AM
No Mac app Apple Design Awards.

iPad = Macintosh.
Mac = Apple II.

Bye bye Mac, it's been nice knowing you. On a more serious note, I'm sure it's just due to the iPad's release this year and the new iPhone OS 4 features, but it doesn't send a good message to the masses.

I really wanted to go this year but can't make time such short lead times. I mean seriously... how hard can it be to set a date 12 months from now so people can actually plan for it?

I might be out too. We all have work to do, Apple.

Such short notice.

raf
29th April 2010, 02:17 AM
Really want to go to this one. Could be the last Stevenote I'll ever be able to see (Steve won't live forever!).

I got in the line at around 5.30am Monday morning. I was maybe in the first 1500 people, but it definitely went around the block a long way.

I ended up being roughly 15 rows from the front, right besides all the TV camera crews. Half way down Presidio, they have large TV screens. I was in front of that. I would have actually preferred to be just a few rows back so you could see Steve + the large hanging screen, because EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE in front of you will be trying to stretch their head up above the one in front, until you're half-sitting, half-standing.

You don't need to go too early, and you meet some great people in the lines. It is a LONG wait though, so make sure you go to the toilet before lining up. Once you get inside (at around 8.30), you spend even more time sitting down as you wind up the 3 levels.

iCantwait
29th April 2010, 02:53 AM
I better start saving for a new iPhone - just blew my iPhone funds on the shitty iPad.....

tupps
29th April 2010, 05:07 AM
If you are an attendee you won't get within the first 10~15 rows of the front, as that is all Apple employees and Media.

I lined got to the line around 6:30AM (10:30AM keynote) and was somewhere around 500~600th in line. There was a girl nearby who was the 30th female. As long as you get there by 8:30 you will be fine.

LithgowLights
29th April 2010, 08:11 AM
I'll be travelling back from the asshole end of the country on the 7th, so should be back, slept up & ready the following early morning to hear all abaout it

SRG
29th April 2010, 09:32 AM
I do feel the lack of Mac awards is a very worrying sign. Don't think they will stop making computers or the OSX but perhaps a top line Macbook Pro and Mac Pro might be the future with everything else dealt with in various config iPads.

forno
29th April 2010, 09:35 AM
I cant see apple giving up on market penetration by stopping production of iMacs and macbooks

Aladdin
29th April 2010, 10:05 AM
Centre of the app universe - could this be the start of Apple selling Mac apps direct (via iTunes or whatever), modelled on the AppStore?

implicity
29th April 2010, 10:17 AM
According to Mashable (http://mashable.com/2010/04/28/apple-iphone-launch/), the next gen iPhone will be released on WWDC.

That'd be interesting.

tcn33
29th April 2010, 10:21 AM
And according to Ars (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/apple-rumored-to-launch-iphone-at-wwdc-but-were-not-so-sure.ars), it might not.

raf
29th April 2010, 11:01 AM
If you are an attendee you won't get within the first 10~15 rows of the front, as that is all Apple employees and Media.

Yeah I guess I should mention I meant 15-20 rows from the end of the VIP section (but that's usually no more than 5 rows deep on either side).

tom5955
29th April 2010, 05:31 PM
According to Mashable (http://mashable.com/2010/04/28/apple-iphone-launch/), the next gen iPhone will be released on WWDC.

That'd be interesting.

Can't really see that happening, none of the other iPhones have been released straight away. I agree with ars.

GlossyMac
29th April 2010, 07:06 PM
If only the wallet allowed it, I'd be there. New iPhone's have normally always (Despite the 1st Gen) made an appearance at WWDC! Hope that is the case this year! Hangin' out for a new iPhone :)

Lutze
29th April 2010, 07:14 PM
Centre of the app universe - could this be the start of Apple selling Mac apps direct (via iTunes or whatever), modelled on the AppStore?

No (http://www.9to5mac.com/Jobs-mac-store-negative-ghostrider-593035053)

Sent From Steve's iPad.

Aladdin
30th April 2010, 10:56 PM
Though, the email also asks whether software will need authorisation by Apple.

So, 2 questions in 1, and the answer is 'no'. No to which bit?

fletch371
1st May 2010, 11:05 PM
My Tip is, regardless of where you are in the queue, I got there around 8am or so. Once you get through the doors and past the big black curtain, make a dash down the middle and look for an empty seat while people are awe struck over the experience. There are lots of gaps to be filled. To hell with sitting with a bunch of friends for the 90 minutes or so. You can quickly spot the gaps due to the lack of a glowing screen on the lap.

stewy38
1st May 2010, 11:07 PM
Ohhhh yeah. My birthday is on the 6th. What a great present :) Love WWDC.

Mine is on the 5th June

decryption
1st May 2010, 11:11 PM
My Tip is, regardless of where you are in the queue, I got there around 8am or so. Once you get through the doors and past the big black curtain, make a dash down the middle and look for an empty seat while people are awe struck over the experience. There are lots of gaps to be filled. To hell with sitting with a bunch of friends for the 90 minutes or so. You can quickly spot the gaps due to the lack of a glowing screen on the lap.

I'll keep that in mind :)

raf
2nd May 2010, 01:03 AM
I'd say as soon as you go up the third escalators, run/jog. A lot of other people will..

fletch371
2nd May 2010, 08:46 AM
And many of them can't move fast too

lavo
2nd May 2010, 06:34 PM
No Mac app Apple Design Awards.

iPad = Macintosh.
Mac = Apple II.

Bye bye Mac, it's been nice knowing you. On a more serious note, I'm sure it's just due to the iPad's release this year and the new iPhone OS 4 features, but it doesn't send a good message to the masses.

I might be out too. We all have work to do, Apple.

Such short notice.

I can't remember where I read it, but if Apple were to concentrate on OS X, this would be the third year in a row with 10.6. Seeing as nothing new has been introduced in regards to the desktop OS for quite a while now, and major changes in the iPhone fork were announced not long ago, it only makes sense for Apple to concentrate on the iPhone/iPad :-)

Not having Mac design awards I think is a pretty clear signal that the majority of devs at WWDC will be iPhone/iPad devs.

marc
2nd May 2010, 06:45 PM
Seeing as nothing new has been introduced in regards to the desktop OS for quite a while now, and major changes in the iPhone fork were announced not long ago, it only makes sense for Apple to concentrate on the iPhone/iPad :-)

Sure. That makes total sense. It's either that, or Apple are putting everything behind iPhone OS right now. I guess we'll find out next year at WWDC.

vecsty
2nd May 2010, 09:26 PM
Sure. That makes total sense. It's either that, or Apple are putting everything behind iPhone OS right now. I guess we'll find out next year at WWDC.

I have a feeling we will find out this WWDC.
Let see what gets announced.

lavo
3rd May 2010, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't be too worried. The good thing about having both the Mac and iPhone share the same base OS, that we will eventually see goodies transferred from one to the other. And Apple aren't about to give up on the only development platform for their new toy :-D

marc
3rd May 2010, 03:53 PM
I have a feeling we will find out this WWDC.
Let see what gets announced.
OS 4 for iPad and more demos of the iPhone OS 4 features we haven't seen yet? That and the new iPhone HD are prob enough for the keynote.

Captain Stathi
3rd May 2010, 08:39 PM
Well I missed the last two but I'm all booked for June, what I did last time I rocked up at 8.40am most people were already in their seats usher said seat for one and pointed me to the front so I was in the second row in the centre behind some of the guest speakers. If last year was anything to go by I'll rock up earlier since there'll be more people.

jamesatfish
4th May 2010, 06:13 AM
Well I missed the last two but I'm all booked for June, what I did last time I rocked up at 8.40am most people were already in their seats usher said seat for one and pointed me to the front so I was in the second row in the centre behind some of the guest speakers. If last year was anything to go by I'll rock up earlier since there'll be more people.

'08 and '09 were much busier than previous years with the influx of iPhone developers to add to the normal OS X crowd. Last year especially was crazy - I spoke to some people who joined the queue about 8:30am who didn't even get into the overflow room before the Keynote actually started.

I'd suggest getting to the queue around 6-7am. Last year I joined about 6:30am - walked out of my hotel (the Intercontinental next door to the Moscone) and joined the end of the queue that had already snaked the long way around the block.

vecsty
4th May 2010, 04:38 PM
OS 4 for iPad and more demos of the iPhone OS 4 features we haven't seen yet? That and the new iPhone HD are prob enough for the keynote.

What I am trying to say that I think Apple for some time have been moving the dev community in a direction that has iPhone/iPad OS clearly in mind. I think thats been happening since Tiger personally.

So it will be interesting to see what is said during the state of the union sessions.

decryption
4th May 2010, 04:52 PM
Anyone know when Apple will release a timetable for the sessions at WWDC?

robc
4th May 2010, 05:05 PM
Anyone know when Apple will release a timetable for the sessions at WWDC?

If memory serves, it'll pretty much be the week before it starts. Though, once the Keynote's done, things tend to shuffle about a fair bit (due to whatever's just been pulled out of the hat).

Hopefully they'll use the awesome iPhone app again for managing sessions. That was pure awesome last year :)

Oh… and for any first timers - this (http://iphonedevelopment.blogspot.com/2010/04/wwdc-first-time-guide-2010-edition.html) guide is awesome for what you need to expect during the week (his 2009 edition was insanely helpful, and based on how it all played out, I'd fully stand by the recommendations made for the 2010 one!)

Captain Stathi
8th May 2010, 03:25 PM
'08 and '09 were much busier than previous years with the influx of iPhone developers to add to the normal OS X crowd. Last year especially was crazy - I spoke to some people who joined the queue about 8:30am who didn't even get into the overflow room before the Keynote actually started.

I'd suggest getting to the queue around 6-7am. Last year I joined about 6:30am - walked out of my hotel (the Intercontinental next door to the Moscone) and joined the end of the queue that had already snaked the long way around the block.

Looks like I'll be getting up early then.

decryption
8th May 2010, 03:35 PM
If memory serves, it'll pretty much be the week before it starts. Though, once the Keynote's done, things tend to shuffle about a fair bit (due to whatever's just been pulled out of the hat).

Hopefully they'll use the awesome iPhone app again for managing sessions. That was pure awesome last year :)

Oh… and for any first timers - this (http://iphonedevelopment.blogspot.com/2010/04/wwdc-first-time-guide-2010-edition.html) guide is awesome for what you need to expect during the week (his 2009 edition was insanely helpful, and based on how it all played out, I'd fully stand by the recommendations made for the 2010 one!)

That guide is gold. Thanks for that!