PDA

View Full Version : Gettng to know Time Machine & a Question

malfromcessnock
28th April 2010, 09:52 PM
Hello Board Members

I'm new to Mac and am setting up Time Machine.

I've just bought an iMac and pretty much maxed it out - processor and ram.

I have bought 2 WD Mac Drives and want to use one to house my photos and the other as a photo backup.

I'm intruiged - I have setup Time Machine (I want to backup my photo external drive and I'm not fussed about C:) I chose the drive to backup to and didn't remove photo storage drive from the list of drives. C: wasn't in the list so I assume it backs this up by default.

It appears to intend to backup C: and I hope it backs up my photo storage ext drive (not really sure if it will - not familar with interface)

But it says the backup will be 17.37Gb - I can't figure this out since I have 143Gb of photos on my photo ext drive.

Does this make sense to you guys - the only way I can make sense of it is that it must severely compress if it can squeeze 143Gb into a 17.37Gb packet.

Do you people have an opinion here?

Brains
28th April 2010, 10:48 PM
MacOS doesn't use drive letters, it works solely by name.

Time Machine will back up all of the non-Apple files, apps and settings on your boot drive, it will not back up anything else (such as your other external photo drive) unless you explicitly tell it to do so.

malfromcessnock
28th April 2010, 11:01 PM
Brains, thanks for your help.

Can you tell me how to tell Time Machine to backup this ext drive - I can't figure it out :(

I go into options and DO NOT exclude it - I can't see any other options :unsure:

bennyling
28th April 2010, 11:48 PM
Brains, thanks for your help.

Can you tell me how to tell Time Machine to backup this ext drive - I can't figure it out :(

I go into options and DO NOT exclude it - I can't see any other options :unsure:

Remove it from the list that excludes items by selecting it and hitting the "minus" button.

If it's excluded from the list, that means it will back that item up. In theory.

malfromcessnock
28th April 2010, 11:49 PM
Sorted.

Thanks for your help.

I have found the answer to my problem - all is good :cool: