PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Keyboard / iPhone remote

tobes56
28th April 2010, 08:14 PM
Probably a couple of stupid questions, but appreciate some help:

1. I have to send out a lot of SMS messages through the day and have big, fat, clumsy fingers - is there any way of using the Apple wireless keyboard (I'm getting one this week) to enter text into the iPhone?

2. Is there some iPhone accessory that can be purchased whereby I could use the iPhone hands free while I'm at my desk: I know it sounds like I'm a guy that can't walk and chew gum at the same time, but it would make life easier if I could just press a button on something that answered the iPhone and went directly to speaker, rather than answer the phone and then have to fumble around and switch to speaker?

Jaffa
28th April 2010, 08:31 PM
1. Not on the current firmware. However there are "reports" that iPhones will pair with bluetooth keyboards on firmware 4.0. Don't sit on the edge of your seat for this though.

2. No and Yes. If you have the iPhone 3GS then hook it up to a set of speakers through the headphone jack. The iPhone will detect that it doesn't have any microphone plugged in and will use the built in microphone while outputting the sound to the external speakers. This does not work on the 3G however. It's kinda a work around but it does work.

Hope that helped a little?

tobes56
28th April 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for that Jaffa (I love this site - so many helpful people).
In regards to iPhone/Keyboard I did read something called BTstacker (or something like that) but got lost in the jargon. Let's see what v4.0 brings!

That was also very useful about the speakers too.

Thanks again Jaffa.

bennyling
28th April 2010, 11:32 PM
However there are "reports" that iPhones will pair with bluetooth keyboards on firmware 4.0. Don't sit on the edge of your seat for this though.

It works fine in the current beta ;)

Jaffa
6th May 2010, 11:50 PM
It works fine in the current beta ;)

The key word here is "beta". It is not intended for the publics use.

bennyling
7th May 2010, 12:16 AM
The key word here is "beta". It is not intended for the publics use.

Yeah, but it will be eventually - and I see no reason why Apple would pull a feature already present and working in the current beta firmware.

You said in your post that there wasn't any way to do what the OP wants "in the current firmware", then alluded to the fact that it may be possible down the track.

I was just confirming that fact. :)

Jaffa
7th May 2010, 08:38 AM
Yeah, but it will be eventually - and I see no reason why Apple would pull a feature already present and working in the current beta firmware.

You said in your post that there wasn't any way to do what the OP wants "in the current firmware", then alluded to the fact that it may be possible down the track.

I was just confirming that fact. :)

I did. But I also did say not to sit on the edge of your seats for that too because Apple is known for pulling features out of their OS's, including their iPhone ones.

Just trying not to cause massive disappointment if it's not there.

~Coxy
7th May 2010, 10:42 AM
If you jailbreak, these is software to allow the use of bluetooth keyboards on the iPhone/iTouch.