PDA

View Full Version : Can't Play A Particular Media File?

Byrd
2nd September 2005, 02:29 PM
After a multitude of posts asking "I can't play movie X" or "what's a good program for movie playback", I thought I'd post this sticky regarding VLC, otherwise known as:

<a href=\'http://www.videolan.org\' target=\'_blank\'>VideoLAN Client</a>

Basic overview: It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for additional codecs (see here (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html) for list of supported files - of note are .divx .avi .xvid most .wmv and DVD formats).
It is available for almost every OS (Windows and Linux builds available
It needs little CPU power (suitable for lowly ~ 500Mhz and up G3s for smooth DivX playback)
It plays back any DVD movie, regardless of region coding
It&#39;s free and open source&#33;
Dozens of media codecs are embedded within the main application - if you&#39;re unsure if the media file will play on your Mac, it&#39;s best to try it under VLC.

Alternatively, MPlayerOSX (http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/) is another media player comparable to VLC. Both are good programs - MPlayer has slightly higher overheads for some reason but a nicer interface, IMHO. I find it&#39;s good to have both apps on hand to play any media file you can throw at your Mac.

Screenshot of VLC:

purana
2nd September 2005, 03:46 PM
VLC is the bomb. This should be one of the first application anyone installs on Mac, and if you have a Wintel, install it on that too.

joh
6th November 2005, 07:42 AM
can VLC deal with .ENC sound files?
does anyone know of a utility which will convert .ENC files to MP3?

hippiesparx
19th January 2006, 05:52 PM
Hi ,
How about DRM encrypted WMV movies?
I┤ve tried mplayer (macosx and linux), flip4mac, and asking on Whirlpool and bigpond customer support.
From what I could pick out from the anti mac brigade on Whirlpool (arent they a happy bunch?) and every other forum I have looked at it seems an impossible ask. Big pond said contact my software supplier. I suppose the definitive answer will be here if anywhere.
Happydaze

feeze
19th January 2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by hippiesparx@Jan 19 2006, 05:52 PM
Hi ,
How about DRM encrypted WMV movies?
I┤ve tried mplayer (macosx and linux), flip4mac, and asking on Whirlpool and bigpond customer support.
From what I could pick out from the anti mac brigade on Whirlpool (arent they a happy bunch?) and every other forum I have looked at it seems an impossible ask. Big pond said contact my software supplier. I suppose the definitive answer will be here if anywhere.
Happydaze
To play WMV DRM you need Windows Media Player 10, which isn&#39;t available on the Mac.

I am not sure if anyone has reversed engineered the DRM yet.

hippiesparx
20th January 2006, 03:41 PM
So has anyone tried wmp10 on wine( I have a lintel too)or Windˇhs for mac?
happydaze

hawker
20th January 2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Sep 2 2005, 01:59 PM
Screenshot of VLC:
I like how you used a screen shot of EuroTrip :P

mechcon
20th January 2006, 03:56 PM
it didn&#39;t have anything to do with it at all tom

but to do with media files? okay... anyone here deal with divx&#39;s much?

Byrd
20th January 2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I think we all deal with DivXs :) What are you wanting to know?

I&#39;ve deleted the useless stuff from this thread BTW - the Eurotrip bit stays :)

JB

mechcon
31st January 2006, 09:12 AM
I ask cos there&#39;s that DivX Doctor II program too, tells you what audio/video codecs a movie file uses, very hand for re-encoding to something more compatible, or isolating to see which are the better combinations