PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Reccommend A Good Media Player

proctopia
2nd September 2005, 12:35 PM
that plays .wmv and .avi files...

tried to download windows media player 9 but it didn't want to launch...is there something i was doing wrong? it was a .sitx file and i'm running tiger.

:blink:

purana
2nd September 2005, 12:40 PM
.sitx is a compressed format, you need an application to uncompress it. Inside this would be a folder and files. Which would be the application itself or an installable file you run.

Without the tool to extract the sitx file it wont do anything :)

Grab a copy of StuffIT to uncompress the .sitx file.

Byrd
2nd September 2005, 12:45 PM
And then, VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) will set you right - it's an excellent media player that plays obscure media files much better than my PC does (with codec pack installed!).

JB

proctopia
2nd September 2005, 12:50 PM
cheers guys. will do.

and hello to you mr byrd :D

-neon-
2nd September 2005, 01:39 PM
Yep, I'll second VLC as a good free player.

Plays most anything that I can throw at it. :)

edit: You might still want a copy of WMP on your machine as well though, as even the mighty VLC has hassles with the latest wmv files... Not something I come across often, but often enough to need crappy MS software *just in case*

Byrd
2nd September 2005, 02:00 PM
Sorry your alias didn't register with me proctopia - howzit going :D

JB

Jimbo
2nd September 2005, 02:12 PM
disko, Byrd, and anyone else who can do this, i think you should change the banner of this site from "Appletalk - The Aus Mac community" to "Appletalk - VLC media player, Trust me it will play that media file"

Just so that we stop getting every 3 days "can anyone recommend a good media player that'll play my divx files?

Byrd
2nd September 2005, 02:17 PM
Good idea Jimbo, check the stickies for this forum subsection :)

JB