PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Employees Clap...

Devil rolla
27th April 2010, 12:47 PM
when you buy a mbp ?
I was showing my parents the new mbp range cause they are looking at upgrading, and a girl behind us bought a 15" mbp and 4 of the staff start clapping her....ah, what the ?

grfxninja
27th April 2010, 01:10 PM
Damn, the Mac1 staff in Newcastle didn't clap for me when I bought mine the other day.
I'm jealous now!

Maybe when they open the official Newcastle store, I can get the applause that I so rightly deserve!

Devil rolla
27th April 2010, 01:52 PM
this was at the chermside store. Weird..

opilot87
27th April 2010, 02:35 PM
Really? Never mind, I don't want an Apple store in Perth after all

Ollie

alextrob
27th April 2010, 02:39 PM
Haha. I've been to the Chermside store a couple of times and the Robina Store a few times and haven't heard any clapping.

I've only heard of them clapping at openings and big launches. Even then, that's pretty weird.

Devil rolla
27th April 2010, 02:47 PM
do they clap at the end of workshops ?, cause there was a group there ending at the same time too..
but they seemed to be around a girl who bought a 15" mbp...maybe she bought one after the workshop.

Weird.

thorevenge
27th April 2010, 03:29 PM
I saw this title and thought maybe Apple Store employees were all stricken with some kind of VD.

SRG
27th April 2010, 03:30 PM
I have seen it at Doncaster now and then...I think they do it maybe when they have a switcher or it is the persons first mac. That is just my guess btw.

grfxninja
27th April 2010, 03:38 PM
I think they do it maybe when they have a switcher or it is the persons first mac. That is just my guess btw.

I bet she wanted to crawl into a hole somewhere when they did it too

Devil rolla
27th April 2010, 03:53 PM
my mum asked if she could order it online instead...lol

Balthazar
27th April 2010, 04:06 PM
*Deleted*

PrincessHayley_xo
27th April 2010, 04:08 PM
I'd be freaked out if I got clapped after purchasing something

Lutze
27th April 2010, 04:14 PM
Store openings and big product launches are fantastic... especially in the UK where you've got 1 or 2 guys from the US to oversee stuff and all these awkward Brits having to behave like 'Mercans and clap and whoop and cheer people into the store.

*High Five!* ;)

2 OS X launches, 2 Store Openings - So funny. Leopard launch was in a massive shopping centre in Manchester and the store was entirely encircled by people waiting for 6pm. Everyone got high fived. :)

snark
27th April 2010, 10:21 PM
...behave like 'Mercans and clap and whoop and cheer people into the store.

Do you reckon they're really happy, or are they good at faking it. Or maybe just completely unrepressed.

Lutze
27th April 2010, 10:30 PM
Do you reckon they're really happy, or are they good at faking it. Or maybe just completely unrepressed.

Unrepressed and enthusiastic. A lethal combo!

cosmichobo
27th April 2010, 10:36 PM
Can't help but picture John Cleese as Fawlty... standing there staring at you like you're something he's stepped in, as he claps spasmodically from side to side...

I don't know if this kind of hype is a positive thing for Apple or not. Certainly seems that people are taking note of it all... "The Apple hype machine" is a term I'm starting to hear a lot more these days.

Apoptosis
27th April 2010, 11:09 PM
When I went to buy my MBP at Chermside last week some guy got clapped out while I was at the register paying for mine. There was a big cheer and everyone started clapping. I asked my attendant wtf? and he just said "He bought a mac! Hey, aren't you buying a mac?" Needless to say I was cheered and clapped out too.

Pretty funny experience. It's strange, but if you're in the spirt of it then it is kinda a positive addition to the buying experience... And I usually don't like attention being drawn to me for anything!

gikku
27th April 2010, 11:16 PM
yeah, online refurb store for me, no clapping.

Lutze
28th April 2010, 01:35 AM
Can't help but picture John Cleese as Fawlty... standing there staring at you like you're something he's stepped in, as he claps spasmodically from side to side...

I don't know if this kind of hype is a positive thing for Apple or not. Certainly seems that people are taking note of it all... "The Apple hype machine" is a term I'm starting to hear a lot more these days.

LOL - Maybe that's why I didn't get the job when I last applied?

Those who have met me at Mactalk meets will all be nodding now...

Grumpy looking frown - Check
Sarcastic sense of humour - Check
Lack of patience with fools - Check

I'd have made a fantastic Apple Genius, honest ;)

Saying that though - when it's done at the right time (in my view - big launches for new products and new stores) it's creates a very big aura about the place.

Though I'd break someone's thumb if they tried to clap me out the store while I lugged a 27" iMac away....

MrJesseRoss
28th April 2010, 06:56 AM
That's hilarious. I'd buy a Mac from an Apple Store if it meant people cheering me out of the building. Hell, I'd demand it.

thorevenge
28th April 2010, 10:25 AM
Though I'd break someone's thumb if they tried to clap me out the store while I lugged a 27" iMac away....

Surely a right fist to the jaw would suffice more?

Lutze
28th April 2010, 11:25 AM
Surely a right fist to the jaw would suffice more?

I can break someones thumb "accidentally" punching them in the jaw would probably get me kicked out of the country.

Minkey
28th April 2010, 11:38 AM
I can break someones thumb "accidentally" punching them in the jaw would probably get me kicked out of the country.

Jeez

You could just be pleased you aren't being ignored/treated like and idiot/and screwed over like just about every other computer retailer.

Just helped a friend by a Windows Laptop at JB HiFi and after half an hour of the dude trying to sell me...insurance, antivirus extenstion, bags, extra software. All the while calmly refusing all offers. I wanted to kill.

I'll take the clap with a smile over swings and round-abouts of indifference and hussle.

M

Jaste
28th April 2010, 01:14 PM
Last time I was in Chermside all the staff clapped when someone bought a Mac. A bit annoying as I was in the middle of asking a question and the guy just starts clapping and turns away from me.

MarkW
29th April 2010, 03:34 PM

battye
1st May 2010, 08:24 PM
Was it a sarcastic clap, ala Adam Schnieder to the umpires in one of the matches late last year? :p

Lutze
1st May 2010, 09:14 PM
What the bet they all have lunch at Lonestar

People have to earn a living, no need to be bitchy.

Was it a sarcastic clap, ala Adam Schnieder to the umpires in one of the matches late last year? :p

No, it's never a sarcastic clap if it's performed by Apple employees.

Phormic
2nd May 2010, 01:26 PM
Does it scale? Like, if you just buy a Mac Mini is there just scattered half hearted clapping? If you but a fully specced out Mac Pro do Nubian slaves carry you out on a throne on red carpet while the staff throw rose petals at you?

Just wondering.

monopolyex
25th June 2010, 08:22 AM
i bought mine last night at chermside and i got a cheer and a "double clap" because it was my birthday :P i love apple :P

kevinnugent
25th June 2010, 09:30 AM
You haven't heard anything until you've been to a Apple launch in the USA. Those puppies get whipped into a frenzy! :)

banjo
25th June 2010, 05:35 PM
No, it's never a sarcastic clap if it's performed by Apple employees.

The sarcastic clap comes from the Microsoft store next door.

amstrad_mac
25th June 2010, 06:23 PM
Well I've been to the the Apple store many times but no clapping whatsoever I come across... Kind of reminds me of lone star restaurant where they dance n sing when y order a big feast or it's your birthday..

Before we know it, TNT drivers will end up doing the clapping when they deliver your next Mac ;)

BoxDog
29th June 2010, 06:17 PM
Kinda different compared to the experience I had at the Palo Alto store when I asked for an iPad :( The guy looked at me like I had two heads.

cosmichobo
3rd July 2010, 10:14 AM
Just standing in Chermside waiting to see a Genius about my fiancée's Macbook Pro's bad battery life, and sure enough - a round of applause breaks out.

One staff member explained to a customer nearby - a Mac has been sold, and - yes - they asked the buyer before doing the clapping if it was ok.

My fiancée says No Way.

Currawong
3rd July 2010, 11:14 PM
Could be worse: Here in the local $1 sushi train restaurant, they have token plates under some of the dishes. If you get a winning token (which gets you all of a keychain or some other worthless crap) they all cheer and announce your table number. Tonight we got a small, err...ball which sprays water when you press the button, which my nearly 2-year-old was thrilled about.

Oh yeah...in an Apple store, that's nuts. Never seen it happen here in Japan funnily enough.

chaosboi
3rd July 2010, 11:36 PM
I got clapped at Chermside when I brought my iPad, but i was 5th in line on day one..

I was there yesterday picking up my iMac that was in service and someone was clapped out, they appear to have a canon printer though!