avolve
2nd September 2005, 09:47 AM
Hi All (another post from me today!)

I am considering options for my Ti Powerbook:

550Mhz
768Mb RAM
Airport
20G HDD
battery life is not that flash - used mainly with mains power.

Am considering upgrading hard drive and maybe RAM (is slow loading Dreamweaver - may just need a re-install). I have Tiger but not installed as yet

OR

updating to another (used) model and selling this one. Airport and at least same RAM a must.

I am considering an iBook - are they more (physically) robust? A few friends have little curves in the screens/tops, etc (don't close flat) and Al is pretty soft.

I mainly use my powerbook as a glorified typewriter though my AMD XP 2600+ is down (when HDD replaced under warranty will be booting it for a mac mini/G4) so am using it for everything at the moment.

Any thoughts? What options/costs for upgrade?

Thanx
c.

Senna
2nd September 2005, 10:45 AM
I would say your current Powerbook is worth between $500 and $600. More if you include Tiger, installed or not.

Can you get away with just having a laptop? If so, sell everything and buy the best laptop you can afford. It will be hard to go from a 15 inch Powerbook to anything with a smaller screen though.

Having said that, if computers are critical to your work/life, then always have two. As you know - they sometimes break down!

Keep the laptop you have now and either get another (better) one or follow your path to the Mac Mini, or new model iMac if you can afford it.

As you can probably tell, I am a laptop fan. They are just so convenient! But if you need the power, get a new iMac.

I know you said used, but we are seeing some reasonable NEW Windows laptops for around $1000 and the new base model iBook (only 12 inch screen though) is only $1600 retail. Try and afford to have both.

Look for Education pricing if you are entitled to it. Feel free to use the PM or email buttons to contact me.

Squozen
2nd September 2005, 10:53 AM
My girlfriend's 667Mhz PowerBook is used for similar things to yours (768Mb RAM and a 30Gb HD), and she doesn't seem to have many complaints. How about using your current laptop with an external firewire hard drive?

napes
2nd September 2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by avolve@Sep 2 2005, 09:47 AM
Am considering upgrading hard drive and maybe RAM (is slow loading Dreamweaver - may just need a re-install)...

...I am considering an iBook - are they more (physically) robust? A few friends have little curves in the screens/tops, etc (don't close flat) and Al is pretty soft.
Heya :)

Re: Dreamweaver - not sure which version you're running, and you may have done this already, but the patch for v7 (i think) makes a MASSIVE difference to stability and loading times. The original version is pretty nasty.

Re: iBook... if you're just using it for day to day stuff, then it's brilliant. Can really recommend it getting one. Very robust also...

Byrd
2nd September 2005, 11:06 AM
About the only cost effective upgrades for your PB Ti 550 would be to get another stick of RAM (512MB SDRAM, remove existing 256 module = total 1GB RAM). If you're running Panther/Tiger and many apps, 1GB is a sweet spot for the OS.

A faster hard disk - such as 5400 and 7200 RPM really helps OS X and program loading times. 40GB 5400 RPM drives start out at about ~ $110 and upwards so they're pretty cheap, and installed easily into a PB.

Apart from that - there isn't really much else to do. They're nice machines, especially due to the screen, but as you're said they are a bit fragile at times. An iBook is sturdier - due to the high density plastic enclosure - but has a lower screen resolution. I'd also look into a 12" PB as well.

JB

bassmanbliss
2nd September 2005, 12:57 PM
I have a Ti 550 Powerbook and it still does the trick. I use it with an mbox and a 200gig external hard drive. It has 1 gig of ram and is running Tiger. It actually runs a lot better with Tiger on in than Panther. I think a definate upgrade is the ram, it is amazing what a gig of ram does to one of these things.

Good luck :)