PDA

View Full Version : How will you upgrade/purchase your next generation iPhone?

jesse
26th April 2010, 10:41 AM
I've had this discussion a number of times with friends and colleagues who are just about out of their original iPhone contracts, or just keen to upgrade.

How will you upgrade or purchase the next generation iPhone?

Personally, I wil never sign up for a mobile contract again. Plans change so often that I think you can get better value and flexibility on a month to month basis. (my needs are quite basic)

Previously I signed up for a 12 months plan with Optus for the iPhone 3G, then sold it on eBay and bought a 3GS outright which I took overseas and now is on Telstra prepaid.

For the next iPhone I will keep my 3GS as a spare and buy the new one outright and keep it on Telstra prepaid.

edit: this was meant to be a poll, but it took me too long to get the options how I wanted it.

decryption
26th April 2010, 10:43 AM
I got the 3GS outright, so I'll rock up to an Apple store, walk out with an outright and unlocked 4th-gen iPhone and slide in my current Telstra SIM (or get a replacement microSIM).

TheKeddi
26th April 2010, 10:47 AM
I got the 3GS outright, so I'll rock up to an Apple store, walk out with an outright and unlocked 4th-gen iPhone and slide in my current Telstra SIM (or get a replacement microSIM).

Same here, I'll sell the 3GS then to cover some of the cost of the new one.

jesse
26th April 2010, 10:53 AM

I find the resale value of a good condition, top model, unlocked previous generation iPhone can totally make a new outright purchase affordable.

tcn33
26th April 2010, 10:57 AM
Save up, buy it outright. Contracts ftl.

olfella
26th April 2010, 11:17 AM
I will go outright again but afraid I will have to use the online store and wait patiently for the mailman:) After dragging my wife into this new age of technology by giving her a iPod touch she will 'inherit' my 3GS.

Remy
26th April 2010, 11:32 AM
My 24 months with Optus will be up in July so whenever the new iPhone comes out I'll be ready to ditch my 3G and go for the upgrade at the Apple Store. I'm thinking Vodafone this time. Free tethering and visual voicemail sounds like heaven.

iCantwait
26th April 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm thinking Vodafone this time. Free tethering and visual voicemail sounds like heaven.

It is.

iTy
26th April 2010, 01:31 PM
It is.

Too bad their 3g keeps dropping out.

I'd like to get it but unfortunately, I stupidly signed up to a 24month contract with Voda.

Will see how funds go this year when its out :)

will
26th April 2010, 01:57 PM
I am with Optus - I just don't know! I do not like Tel$tra, but with my growing frustration with Opt$s, I think my next iPhone will be back with the Dark Empire.

asgr8
26th April 2010, 02:01 PM
will be selling me 3gs and get new one outright :D

marc
26th April 2010, 02:08 PM
iPhone 1st gen = Bought outright in Hong Kong.
iPhone 3G = Signed up with Optus for 24 months.
iPhone 3GS = Broke contract with Optus and signed up with Vodafone for 24 months (smart move, better 3G, VVM and tethering are great).
iPhone HD = I will buy the 16GB model (or the "cheaper, but quickest" model) outright, from an Apple Store.

I'll be lining up on the morning of release, probably at the Doncaster Apple Store :)

klif
26th April 2010, 02:19 PM
iPhone 3G 16GB put on a 12month optus contract on July 11th, 2008 8:10am ;)

Currently using the same iPhone 3G 16GB on a Telstra NextG SIM with no contract.

Telstra current iPhone plans don't impress me so I'll probably have to buy outright the new iPhone due mid year and get Telstra to swap me over to a Micro-SIM which I hope they don't charge too much for.

Although Telstra NextG pre-paid does look tempting, I'm just too lazy to do all the top ups and manage my usage that anally.

chaosboi
26th April 2010, 03:29 PM
I signed with Optarse in July 2008 for 24months on the $79 plan which really works out to be $96 with paper fee..phone cost ect..

Then unlocked and moved to Telstra PrePaid as I was sick of Optus shit network.

Now I pay $30 on Telstra prepaid and it always works, so this time I will be purchasing the phone outright and staying with Telstra PrePaid.

marc
26th April 2010, 03:31 PM
swap me over to a Micro-SIM

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Hmm. Voda had better be pretty nice about swapping my SIM, or I'll be switching to Telstra (good network FTW).

Exocet
26th April 2010, 04:05 PM
I've been promising my best friend an iPhone since 2008, so I'll probably sell my 3G and use that + my tax return for a pair of iPhones bought outright. I'll throw my work SIM into mine and let him figure out whatever the hell he wants with his :P

Arkhum_Eramak
26th April 2010, 04:33 PM
Giving my iPhone 3G to my mum and buying a 4th gen iPhone outright. Got a Telstra plan with my 3G and I've been getting reamed by it ever since. A happy chappy I am not. After seeing posted here on MacTalk how much more flexible and better value for money Teltra's prepaid is I'll be going with that I think.

chrisede
26th April 2010, 05:13 PM
I own my 3G but use a sim on a Telstra plan from work.
Will see what happens... my 3G is about dead anyway, so I might get a new one that way.

Jinkst
26th April 2010, 06:06 PM
My mate just opened his own Mobile phone business so I'll get it through him at wholesale. He should be able to get them as "demo" handsets and hence get some good tax breaks on a few so will be able to get it cheaper. If all else fails I'll just call some contacts from when I worked at Voda and get my contract renewed. It's how I have an iPhone 3G, with a BB 9700 and HTC in my drawer :-) Its all about who ya know in this world these days!

opilot87
26th April 2010, 06:13 PM
Cancel my 2 year contract with Vodafone that I started in October 09 (32GB 3GS), and sell the phone on ebay. Hoping the resale of the phone will mostly cover the cost of cancelling the contract. Purchase new and most fancy model from Apple online store. Switch to Telstra prepaid.

Ollie

sobie2000
26th April 2010, 07:37 PM

Ditto here.

jesse
26th April 2010, 07:58 PM
Judging from people's responses so far - an outright purchase and Telstra prepaid seem to be the go, and if you can recover some costs from your 3GS, 3G then it's win win.

I can only imagine the number 3GS phones going on eBay the same week as the 4G is due to be released.

Are the educated masses learning that 24month contracts are gouging and unnecessary? Can't wait to hitup Chadstone for the release. :moneymouth:

Exc

displayb333
27th April 2010, 09:46 AM
Probably another twelve month Optus contract (never sign up for a contract that lasts longer than your phone warranty!). I don't have too much grief with their network, and I make a metric !@#$load of calls and use a statistically improbable amount of 3G internet.

Will now look into NextG prepaid tho.

forno
27th April 2010, 09:59 AM
24 month contract will be up in July, 3G will go to my girl.
Shiny new 32GB iPhone for me, not sure of the network or plan yet???????????????????

tonyberinson
27th April 2010, 10:08 AM

Ditto

The_Hawk
27th April 2010, 10:11 AM
I find the resale value of a good condition, top model, unlocked previous generation iPhone can totally make a new outright purchase affordable.

Which is my hope this time around too :D

I gave signed 12 month Optus contracts for the last two iPhones and would have done another one except that I have been playing with a Telstra SIM for the last week and am about to break my Optus contract, it's just way too variable and is getting worse, not better. Telstra will cost a little more and I will get less allowance, but then I never used a lot of it anyway, will just have to keep a closer eye on it.

As for this time around. I'll have to double check the numbers, but from what I gather being SIM only on Telstra (business) means you get a credit each month on your bill, getting a handset means you get a credit towards a handset if the handset credit is equal to or less than the normal credit I'll just buy outright... the only downside being that my Wife's 3G is defiantly due for replacement this year so I'll be up for two ;)

alextrob
27th April 2010, 10:20 AM
My iPhone 3G contract with Optus finishes in July/August. I don't want to do another 24 month contract, and I'd really like VVM & tethering so it's probably going to be a 12 month Vodafone contract for me, unless they jack the prices up significantly for the new iPhone.

Tim from 3
27th April 2010, 03:55 PM
I'll put it on the second credit card and hope my wife doesn't notice my phone looks different.

mac_man_luke
27th April 2010, 04:02 PM
Id like to get it on a 2 year contract again

But the plans are not as good for me anymore

Im on a $39 plan which inc stuff all calls/sms but 500mb of data + phone repayments of around $10

Now think id have to go on a $50+ plan + repayments :(

samuelowens
27th April 2010, 04:04 PM
For me, it all depends on whether Telstra allow non-staff members who signed up to their staff cap plan a few weeks back (i.e. people like me) to get a fourth gen iPhone with an MRO rebate on a two year contract. From what I understand, the answer is 'no' so, unless Telstra's forthcoming consumer plans that are arriving on 11 May are killer (and they could well be; folks on Whirlpool are talking $49 cap, $400 value, 200MB data and $20 MRO bonus per month), I'll probably just buy outright from an Apple Store.

My current 3G will go to my dad.

opilot87
27th April 2010, 08:20 PM
unless Telstra's forthcoming consumer plans that are arriving on 11 May are killer (and they could well be; folks on Whirlpool are talking $49 cap, $400 value, 200MB data and $20 MRO bonus per month)

Didn't know about this, if its decent I will probably go with Telstra on a 1 year plan. No word yet on what the handset repayments and data packs will be though. And what is MRO?

Ollie

NathR32
27th April 2010, 08:29 PM
My current 12 month Optus contract finishes in June/July so I won't be under any obligations.

Will either sign up for another 12 month Optus, or buy outright and go with Telstra Prepaid as most people are seeming to go.

samuelowens
27th April 2010, 08:32 PM
Didn't know about this, if its decent I will probably go with Telstra on a 1 year plan. No word yet on what the handset repayments and data packs will be though. And what is MRO?

Ollie

You'd probably have to go onto a two year plan if this is indeed true.

MRO is mobile repayment option. Assume a new iPhone is $960. The MRO on a 24 month contract would be $40 per month. A $20 MRO bonus would take it to $20. Only real catch is that Telstra locks their iPhones...

NeoRicen
27th April 2010, 08:43 PM
I'll probably buy outright and get a replacement MicroSIM for my current plan, assuming 3 allows that. 3 are apparently doing iPad plans, so presumably they'll have MicroSIMs on hand for that sort of thing.

iGobbleoff
27th April 2010, 09:35 PM
if my missus wants my 3GS, then will pick up a new one, otherwise i'm in no rush

Iain Best
28th April 2010, 10:17 PM
I'll buy one outright. I sold my 3G 16GB on eBay a couple of days ago for $510. Not bad for a handset that I bought over 18 months ago.
I'm plodding along with a Nokia thing that work flicked me until then. If I get desperate I'll hijack the 3G 8GB my wife has but rarely uses.

kyte
9th May 2010, 04:52 PM
Buy outright from Apple, drop my prepaid telstra sim in. bought from Telstra las time, haven't yet unlocked, but will do so before onselling. If I ever get round to selling it. OTOH I may wait until the 2011 iphone.

Tj94
9th May 2010, 05:06 PM
If possible, which Iím not too sure if I can. Iíll go to the Apple Store Chermside, upgrade my plan to the $79 iPhone cap with the new iPhone and get MobileMe and AppleCare. Is this possible to do this? Does the Apple Store upgrade your current plan? PS the plan will be older then 24 months then.

hendot
9th May 2010, 05:13 PM
Looks like I'll be the only monkey to sign another 24 month contract with Optus. Are they really *that* bad?

svale
9th May 2010, 05:28 PM
Looks like I'll be the only monkey to sign another 24 month contract with Optus. Are they really *that* bad?

Yeah, they're really that bad.

As for me, I'll be going outright to go with my existing Telstra SIM.

kevinnugent
9th May 2010, 05:28 PM

No, and I'll be there with you. But for 12 months..... 24 is too long.

jesse
9th May 2010, 05:31 PM

My only gripe with 24 month contracts is that after about 12 months there's new (better value) plans around, and your'e stuck.

Outright is a lot to pay upfront, and people aren't used to it... but the freedom it affords you is worth any extra you might end up paying.

In my opinion :)

GlossyMac
10th May 2010, 11:41 PM
I'll sell my 3GS, cancel my Optus contract and move to either Vodafone or Telstra on a 12 month contract. Do Telstra (for the current 3GS) offer a 12 month contract?
Never again will I be with Optus. Never had a dropped call but I can barely ever use the 3G service I pay for. I am disgusted with them..
-GlossyMac

skritter
20th May 2010, 05:32 PM
Hell after reading all 9+ pages of the http://forums.mactalk.com.au/55/75958-telstra-prepaid-spectacular.html thread. I will buy outright and go with the Testra Pre-Paid

dekco
20th May 2010, 05:42 PM
If Telstra postpaid is competitive, i may just go with them. 12months more likely.

Mafesto
22nd May 2010, 03:56 PM
My Optarse contract us also up in July/August so I will definitely switch to either Telstra (pre-paid) or Vodafone.

My experience with Optus has been diabolical. Dropped calls all the time (daily) and the 3G is hardly ever usable and the phone constantly searching for a stronger signal kills the battery life compared to my friends iPhone on Telstra.

Problem is I used my phone for work and claim it, and not sure if I could be arsed doing the top ups all the time, im fundamentally lazy!