PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a Macbook Pro 13"

NewDude
23rd April 2010, 02:48 PM
hey guys, i'm thinking of picking up the base model.

never owned a mac so i have some questions.

i'm thinking of using this mostly as a way to try out OS X and hopefully do some desktop application development on it. is there a big demand for this type of stuff? does the MB Pro 13" have enough horespower to do this low end type work? i'm mainly after something that will be reliable and portable. will the MB Pro 13" have enough graphics power to power an external display? say, a 24 inch display, what is the screen size limitation? or would i have to get a higher end machine?

how much would the software development for OS X be? if i wanted to develop for the desktop, iPad and iPhone, how much would i be looking at for a software development suite?

i was considering the mac mini as i don't want to spend too much, but it doesn't really seem that great compared to the MB Pro. the MB Pro became $100 cheaper and it got a speed upgrade too, recently right?

just did a quick comparison:

Mac Mini:
2.26GHz : 160GB

* 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB memory
* 160GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
* Mac OS X Snow Leopard

$850

Macbook Pro:
13-inch: 2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
250GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in battery (10 hours)
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard

$1500

so, for slightly more i get a much better machine.

right now my main machine is an old HP laptop. specs are:

15"
2.4Ghz P4-M
1GB Ram
80gb HDD
integrated graphics
dvd burner

would i see a worthwhile upgrade with the MB Pro 13"?

thanks guys

gehenna
23rd April 2010, 02:51 PM
13" MBP will be fine, can connect to an external display up to 1920x1200 I think. Apple's Dev tools come with Snow Leopard for free don't they? Just install Xcode and its full of heaps of tools I think.

~Coxy
23rd April 2010, 04:44 PM
i'm thinking of using this mostly as a way to try out OS X and hopefully do some desktop application development on it. is there a big demand for this type of stuff?
does the MB Pro 13" have enough horespower to do this low end type work?
i'm mainly after something that will be reliable and portable. will the MB Pro 13" have enough graphics power to power an external display? say, a 24 inch display, what is the screen size limitation? or would i have to get a higher end machine?

how much would the software development for OS X be?
if i wanted to develop for the desktop, iPad and iPhone, how much would i be looking at for a software development suite?
i was considering the mac mini as i don't want to spend too much, but it doesn't really seem that great compared to the MB Pro. the MB Pro became $100 cheaper and it got a speed upgrade too, recently right?

Unfortunately, there's not a huge amount of demand for OS X applications. It is a growing market, though...
Yes, definitely.
Yes, the 13" can drive an external display. With the MDP to DVI adaptor you can drive a screen of up to 1920x1200. For bigger than that, I would recommend a monitor with a DP plug.
It's free.
$99/year for the official iPhone developer account. You can develop for Jailbroken iPhone for free.
The Mac Mini is a bit of a ripoff, but it's half the price of the 13" MBP. Up to you whether a little more speed and portability is worth it.

lord
23rd April 2010, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately, there's not a huge amount of demand for OS X applications. It is a growing market, though...

Bull, there are whole companies based on mac development. Check out how well panic (http://panic.com) is doing!

$99/year for the official iPhone developer account. You can develop for Jailbroken iPhone for free.

Not quite, you can play around with it without paying. That too is free to obtain, its a part of xcode

I would highly suggest not starting development with the iPhone. Cocoa isn't the most beginner friendly language at the best of times.

Nightwish
23rd April 2010, 08:18 PM
They have the refurb prev-gen MBP 13" in the Apple Store at the moment if you're interested.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au_edu_94519/product/FB990X/A?mco=MTA4MzQ4MDk)

What do you guys think of the price?

gehenna
23rd April 2010, 08:20 PM
That's a great price!

Geoff3DMN
23rd April 2010, 08:36 PM
A refurb MacBook pro for that price is a bargain. It's cheaper than similar Apple laptops have been since as long as I can remember. The only ones I ever saw that cheap were the base model old style plastic laptops and that is a much much better machine.

It makes me go ouch, I paid $2400 for a unibody 13" only a couple of years ago.

Nightwish
23rd April 2010, 08:58 PM
I want it. Bahh. I already have an iBook G4 which I just repaired because it had a faulty hard drive, but the screen is too dim for my bad eyesight. I don't really need a MPB but I want I want I want I want I want!

Somebody convince me that it's a necessity and I must buy this refurb model immediately! :)

Lockley
23rd April 2010, 09:12 PM
i just bought the new 13" and i dont know how i ever lived without a backlit keyboard :p

NewDude
25th April 2010, 12:46 AM
hey guys, thanks for the replies.

i had another question about the battery life. because batteries in my experience always slowly lose their charge capacity and therefore, become slower and slower with each charge i'm wondering what happens with the MBP because it's built into the machine? would apple take it back if the battery becomes almost useless? how would this work?

i've never had a machine that came with a built-in battery.

oh, does anyone have gaming or regular benchmarks for the 13" MBPro 2.4Ghz?

i'm interested in the performance of the nvidia 320M and the C2D compared with the 15" models and how much of a difference there is between speed and battery life.

thanks guys

opilot87
25th April 2010, 12:50 AM
With regards to the battery, it does use a newer type of lithium battery which will last much longer, at least triple the cycles of a standard battery from memory, and they have 10 hours of battery life to begin with....

But even if you feel the battery needs to be replaced, it can be done, but has to be done by Apple as it is not a user-replaceable part. I think it costs something like $149 to send it to Apple and they will replace the battery and send it back to you.

Ollie

gehenna
25th April 2010, 01:09 AM
send it to Apple and they will replace the battery and send it back to you.

Or just take it to a retail store and they can do it on site and give it back to you at the time.

Apple are also good at replacing the battery if it prematurely degrades. I've been able to get a couple of batteries replaced without paying. If you ever have any problems just give their support line a call and go through the troubleshooting with them, then get referred to a store for the replacement. I find that calling the support line and being referred works better than just showing up and expecting it to happen.

Are you going to buy AppleCare with your MacBook (if you go that route?). I'd highly recommend it if you haven't considered it yet. It's worth it to avoid any hassle.

NewDude
25th April 2010, 01:28 AM
alright, thanks bro.

i didn't realise i'd have to pay for the replacement battery. $150 seems like a lot to me. how long would it last assuming i had it running 12 hours a day non-stop connected to the wall? would it be better to keep it unplugged as much as possible OR plugged in as much as possible?

i'm thinking of buying it from myers and will buy a 3 year warranty through them.

gehenna
25th April 2010, 01:34 AM
alright, thanks bro.

i didn't realise i'd have to pay for the replacement battery. $150 seems like a lot to me. how long would it last assuming i had it running 12 hours a day non-stop connected to the wall? would it be better to keep it unplugged as much as possible OR plugged in as much as possible?

i'm thinking of buying it from myers and will buy a 3 year warranty through them.

no laptop vendor would give you a freebie battery at the end of its life unless it was faulty in some way. $150 is pretty reasonable if it means you can extend the life by another few years IMO. It's also comparable to the cost of a new battery for the likes of Toshiba/HP/Dell etc.

My MBP has been connected to power 8-10hrs a day for the last 10 months...currently I get a 97% charge out of it when it's fully charged. Not too bad I think. It's had 257 charging cycles. I'm sure if I went through the conditioning process it would bump up the health a little bit, but I'm still getting 5 hours of pretty intensive use out of it when it's unplugged.

I think, barring any faults, you should get at least 3 years of solid use out of the battery. It might start to degrade a bit after that.

I wouldn't worry about running it off the battery as much as possible, it's smart enough to cut the charging cycle once it reaches capacity so if you're running of mains power it knows about it.

NewDude
30th April 2010, 09:07 PM
alright, thanks bro.

is there anything else i need to be wary about when buying this new machine?

thats awesome
1st May 2010, 01:49 AM
alright, thanks bro.

is there anything else i need to be wary about when buying this new machine?

Nothing to worry about, all Apple products come with a 12 months warranty. You can get AppleCare and extend the warranty for another two years (three years in total) which I would recommend. You don't have to pay the high prices for AppleCare from Apple/Authorised Apple retail centre, you can buy it from eBay for much less!

NewDude
6th May 2010, 06:08 PM
alright, thanks bro

i made a thread on developing for OSX, but no one has replied.

could you give me a hand?

auspad
7th May 2010, 01:24 PM
if its going to be plugged into the wall all the time you might aswell buy the mac mini, and upgrade it a bit.

auspad
7th May 2010, 01:26 PM
or, if your fast, snap this up Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB950X/A?mco=MTU0MzQ1NTg)

TheKeddi
7th May 2010, 01:47 PM
I just bought the new 13" macbook pro and it's awesome! Battery livfe is impressive and its a quick little machine.

If I had the money over again, I would buy the exact same thing, it's that good!

east
10th May 2010, 02:56 PM
i got the base 13" pro since my PPC Powerbook is just too slow on certain tasks nowadays.
2 weeks later, i added a 22" Dell 2209WA monitor (uses an e-IPS panel) which worked quite well too.

I havent tested anything thats processor crunching other than re-encoding videos for the iPhone.